Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Sig Academy class Practical handgun 103

took 103 at sig academy the past saturday. bottom line disappointed.
    1st 1/2 the class didn't do no shooting.

830 to 930 classroom with instructor and student introductions, some safety and gun handling review and your basic administrative stuff. from 930 to 1030 getting everyone setup for equipment, 1030 to 1145 dry firing, how to holster and draw. 1145 to 1200 fired the 1st 10 rds. in my opinion all was a waste of time.

after lunch 1300 till 1700 fired 300 rds did draw and firing, reloading, moving and shooting and also shooting from one knee, 2 knee, on your bum, and prone.

i wasn't thrilled after the class. this morning i shot this email to sig academy.

I took the 103 class this weekend and I wanted to voice my opinion. I thought the class was great, both the instructors were very knowledgeable and were able to answer all the questions the class had. However I was disappointed that we spent the 1st half of the class going over safety procedures and familiarize with the gun. Partly because some students were in the wrong class. This was supposed to be an intermediate class, tho i never took 101 or 102 I felt that the 1st 1/2 of 103 should of been covered in those classes. I understand for safety reasons the instructors must review these things but spending 1/2 day on it was a waste of time for those students whom were at the intermediate level. We didn't fire the 1st 10 rds until 15min before lunch. My other complaint is that SIG Academy does not properly vet the students. On your website, the prerequisites for this class was listed as: Intermediate Basic Practical handgun skills or equivalent. Because someone took 101 and 102 does not mean they should be in 103. We had students that did not have this minimum skill level. In fact, one student never held an auto pistol before and did not know the decocker the slide lock or the magazine release. Because we were doing some more "advance" drills I felt that not properly vetting students poses a real danger for the student, his classmates and the instructors, tho I did not feel unsafe at any point during the training. I'm sending this email not to blame the students for not know how to operated a gun, I feel that SIG Academy should properly vet their enrollment. I'm not an happy with my experience with SIG Academy. I had business in Boston, therefore it wasn't too much out of my way to take this class, however i had to rent a car and rearrange my schedule for the class. I am also NOT unhappy, I just felt my experience could been more positive if Sig Academy had properly vetted the students.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Sig Academy class Practical handgun 103

This is part of the risk associated with "for profit" training schools. The economic pressure to fill classes can sometimes overtake the vetting process. And the curriculum can oftentimes suffer a "dumbing down" to accommodate students of lower or lesser skill level which seems to have been the case in your class.

Because we are a 501 c3, this is the one small advantage we have at the F.I.R.E. Institute.

got email back from them:
    Thank you for your candid feed back although it is not typical of what we hear from our customers. After looking into the facts of the class I have found that a culmination of circumstances led to a less than satisfactory event for you.

Second only to safety is quality and customer satisfaction at the Sig Sauer Academy. In keeping with that premise I would like to offer you an apology and a free slot in a future 103 class of your choosing.

(York County)

Dunsho, I think the offer is a solid and proper response to your e-mail,
    pointing out the shortcomings of your course expectations. There offer
    is far more than what others would do. I would definatley take the offer
    for another proper class on Practical Handgun #103 if you are so inclined.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Montgomery County)

I agree with Fundamentals. Take Sig up on their offer. Sig owned up to the problem and is offering free training, win-win.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

i thanked them for the offer, honestly i didn't want anything from them I just wanted to make the administrators aware of the problem of not properly vetting students. After class i did speak with one of the instructor and they were considering kicking the dude out, but really its not the student fault. I do expect to return to take more class in the future but have no intention to take the same class.