Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Pistol grips - advantages?

I am curious about the use of pistol grips on shotguns. What advantage does having a pistol grip on a fully stocked SG offer as opposed to any of the more traditional stocks?
    I shoot mostly SXSs and so PGs are not part of my experience but I do see them a lot in pictures in various threads.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Pistol grips - advantages?

I don't believe there is much of an advantage outside of lightweight and shorter. My Mossberg used to sport a pistol grip until I tried to shoot it... the recoil I can handle, but accuracy was not good.

(York County)

It's really just personal preference. The only actual + or - I can say from experience with them is that if it is on a Mossberg 500 it will make it harder to operate the tang safety, Whereas if it is on a Remington 870 it will make it easier to operate the trigger guard safety. That seems to be what most people think about them too.

(Allegheny County)

I wouldn't do a pistol grip only and forego a traditional butt stock. I would get one that has both. (PG and stock) They make some nice recoil compensating ones (Knoxx) that are set up this way. I have one on an 870 and it shoots like a dream. As for firing from the hip with just a pistol grip... maybe with a ton of practice. I don't know. But to me that seems more like movie magic type shit than actually being able to put quick shots on target with ease. It definitely suits me better with it since I'm more used to shooting pistol gripped rifles. AK's, AR's etc So the traditional stock feels alien to me. But you're coming from the opposite side of the spectrum - you may not like it. I find the shotgun more 'familiar' with a pistol grip stock and the recoil reduction from the knoxx stock is HUGE. I can shoot high power loads and hi vel slugs all friggin day with no ill effects whatsoever. Muzzle rise is cut dramatically - and I can get on target faster. I'm not a big guy so the adjustable LOP was nice too. It let me bring the LOP in where my rifles were set up, and the controllability that comes with having something like a pistol grip to hang on to.

I'm sure you'd do just fine without one since you come from without one.

And what 24/7 said about the safety thing on the Mossberg / 870. I have an 870. PG stock is no big deal if not an improvement in accessing the safety.

(York County)

IMHO, pistol grips on a shotgun are mostly a novelty. I have shot alot of shotgun. They are probably the easiest firearm to hit a target with. (within their effective range.)
    I got a Maverick 88 shotgun about 2 years ago. Came with the pg on it. The only positive thing I have to say about it is, it shortens up a gun. If I were really pressed into defending my family, I would still pick up one of my other shotguns with a full stock on it.
    I think a pistol grip encourages a spray and pray method of shooting. I much prefer to throw the stock up to my cheek and know I'm gonna hit my target hard.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigjrk View Post
    I much prefer to throw the stock up to my cheek and know I'm gonna hit my target hard.
    Exactly.

10 characters

(Lackawanna County)

the only real advantage they give is maneuverability. other than that, pistol grips are crap. i bought mine with one, and i shot it a few times. i took my ass to the shop and bought an ATI collapsible stock for it.

(Luzerne County)

Thanks for the replies. I suppose that I was not clear enough. I did not mean a shotgun with a pistol grip only. I had in mind the versions that have a full stock and a pistol grip, similar to an AR-15.
    I can understand the advantage of the pistol grip on a rifle - my target rifles have pistol type grips. I am puzzling over the function on a shotgun which in sporting use, at least, is not aimed like a rifle. I suppose that if the SG used like a rifle that the PG will have a similar effect. I was wondering about the other uses for SGs. Does it help? Does it add something? If it helps then I'm interested in learning more. If it's just different, then I'm less so.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Allegheny County)

My post was specfically talking about pistol grip & stock type setups on a shotgun.

(Lawrence County)

At full speed, pistol grips (and especially vert foregrips) slow my transitions from target to target.

They do, however, help in taming recoil to the shoulder in some caes.

Lycanusestraditionalstocksonshottiesthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast