Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Bought a rifle and shotgun for $20 at auction. Looking for parts and suggestions.

So, I know these things aren't worth much, but the highest bid for the pair was $15. I said I'd bump the bid to $20 and nobody else bid so I won. I figured, for $20, even if they're not great rifles I can use the stocks at least.

For that $20 I came home with a Stevens model 57 single shot 20 gauge bolt action and a Stevens model 15-a single shot 22 cal bolt action.

The bolt is missing on the 22 cal, and the bolt action is broke on the 20 gauge. What I was originally thinking was I could just replace the bolts on both and call it done (still a possibility). But, then the mind started wandering...

I'm wondering if there are parts out there that I can modify these (all wood) stocks to create something even better. Is there a way I can use these stocks and barrels with some after market equipment and make them semi-auto or at least bolt action with clips? If not, replacement parts would be fine for these $10 guns.

I'd like info on how to find replacement parts, and info on parts that I could use to build something even more creative. I like tinkering with stuff and building things. A gun is one thing I haven't built yet. Thanks!
    Proud 3%er... We'll fight for your rights, even when you won't.

Default Re: Bought a rifle and shotgun for $20 at auction. Looking for parts and suggestions.

I would start here. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Remember, Stevens is under Savage.

As far as custom modifications, well it's been done with just about any firearm out there, just be careful what you do, because some modifcations aren't legal. Read, read, read, then read some more, then change whatever you see fit.

Most important of all, shoot them (after determining they are perfectly safe to shoot)! Unless of course they are one of a kind collectors items, in that case sell them and buy several more that you can shoot!

Default Re: Bought a rifle and shotgun for $20 at auction. Looking for parts and suggestions.

I've had good luck doing a google search for the parts I need. Then again if you want to pay premium price and get premium quality just go to Brownells.

(Perry County)

You may be the only person I ever heard of who paid only $20 for two guns and got hosed.

Neither gun is worth much in shoot-able condition, perhaps you can double down and get two $50 dollar guns for about $60 more? Or perhaps you can get $20 or even more selling them as parts for others' needs.

Hokkmike Guest

Best of luck with your restoration. If you do it please put up som pics!

(Luzerne County)

You can try here also.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Erie County)

Try this sight, they usually have it.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Default.aspx

(Adams County)

Here's some before pics of the .22. Cheap guns, but pretty stocks. My buddy has the shotgun (he is trying to see if we can "instant engineer" the bolt together for now) and I will be taking pics of that on Monday night to post Tuesday. I really feel like I want to find parts and custom build these guns instead of taking them back to stock condition. From what I can see, they don't hold hardly any value even in perfect condition. Might as well make them worth something to me as my first custom builds! I'll continue to post pics and such as we go...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Proud 3%er... We'll fight for your rights, even when you won't.

(Bucks County)

Cash them in at the next gun buy-back. Might be good for a couple of gift cards or food or ?

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Berks County)

Guns like this are great for new gunsmiths to "cut their teeth" on. Practice checkering, jeweling, barrel cutting and crowning and the like.

Now that Stevens looks to be in great shape! Shame it is missing the bolt, from what I have read they were pretty good rifles and accurate.

You may want to check with Jack First for a bolt or Popperts

Popperts shows the "bolt body and handle" for $12.

Link to Popperts...click parts and select your Stevens model.

http://www.poppertsgunparts.com/index.htm

Jack First doesn't have a website listing what parts they have, but if you call, they are GREAT on the phone and nice folks.

Link to Jack...http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

Hope this helps you get them together.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast