Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Talking New guy here, just buying a FAL and AR-15 could use some advice !!

Hey everyone I am new on the forum. I just purchased a metric FAL and a Stag Arms 20" barrel left handed. I also own an AK47 and AK74. I traded a Saiga in .308 with 21" barrel which i also converted to a pistol grip with look a like magpul PRS stock and G2 trigger group, and a hungarian FEG in 9x18 i also traded, plus some cash from my end of course. Is there anyone that knows what i should look for in the FAL problems...it's a Century built one, so i know it's hit or miss....HOPING A HIT !! Also how is the left handed Stag Arms, parts plentiful, same configuration just a diffrent bolt face/head ? or totally diffrent NON-interchangable bolts, bolt carriers ect... I am new to the ar and fal world so please forgive my ignorance to any mis-used words, thanks.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New guy here, just buying a FAL and AR-15 could use some advice !!

with century products you could face any number of issues with their FALS from out of spec receivers to head space issues to canted sites to FTE and FTF. some of the issues can be easily fixed by a little tweeking while others require the rifle to be returned to century. the down side to sending it back is you're out your rifle for a while and the upside is century usually does a good job getting the rifle running or sending you a replacement. if you can afford it i would suggest you buy a DSA FAL and forget about the century. DSA FAL's are the best FAL's on the market and just as good as the original FN FAL's in my opinion. DSA FAL's aren't cheap though so expect to pay north of a grand for an entry level model up to 2K for one of their top of the line rifles.

I don't have any knowledge in regards to the STAG so can't comment.

(Philadelphia County)

thanks for your info. believe it or not i went to Tanner's saturday and they had a DSA FAL there...1300 :/ compared to the 750 i paid for the century one, with 4 mags and brand new i just can't swing 1300 right now...wish i could. Everything I have read on FAL's has imbeaded DSA into my brain and hopefully some day I can follow through with that. Being laid off for over a year doesn't help much either but 3 days till I get the century FAL...wish me luck ! lol i'm definitly gonna NEED it ! Ohh how can I check the head space for the FAL, what should I look for ??
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Berks County)

1300 for a DSA is not bad. I spent 1800 on mine. Awesome rifle, I love it, but I'm considering selling it soon.

As for headspacing your FAL, I'd take it to a gunsmith.

Am I correct in guessing you bought your FAL from Surplus City?

(Philadelphia County)

No actually when i contacted them they did not have any...wish they did. I ordered it from CenterFireSystems. This is my first time dealing with them so I'm hoping it's a good one, more worried about the rifle tho. I could have ordered an Enterprise Arms FAL for $800 (the Century one was $750) but they said 3-4 weeks minimmum to ship, from Atlantic Firearms. My buddy has a Century L1A1 FAL and has had no problems at all with it and it's about 9-10 years old...hoping i get the same ! Yea $1300 for the DSA FAL was a steal, really would have liked to get it just didn't have the extra $$$ actually as i gave it back to the guy after checking it out another customer started asking me about FAL's, told him that's the best on the market and if looking BUY BUY BUY it was used but the previous owner doesn't shoot much, buys diffrent firearms then get's into other ones and sells

(Allegheny County)

Cent FALs have gotten progressively better over the years. Cent stand by their stuff.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Philadelphia County)

yea I have done some good research on the century FAL's, most reviews say 99% of the stuff wrong with them, if anything, can be fixed fairly easy so it sounds good, fingers crossed either way ! I know the Hesse recievers they USED to use were no good supposedly, and a lot of the FAL's have a unibrow feed ramp, some say it works fine others say not. I should be getting it this wednesday so I'll probably have John Robinson take a look over of the rifle, hence the reason i opted to get it delivered to Classic Pistol, at $50 for the transfer seems a litle high. Also I don't know of anyone and lower either...it might even be $60 b/c i did not renew my membership there...

**EDIT** Does anyone know a decently priced place to transfer firearms around Philadelphia ? Lock's is a little higher than CP, Mike and kate's is the WORST and I won't go there, to expensive anyway. Only other place I could think of for future purchases was Tanner's ?? Even Tanner's I believe is about $50 for transfer, is that the going rate tho ? I know I have always paid close to that. Thanks everyone also, for your input it's much appreciated.
    Last edited by PhilaShooter; March 28th, 2010 at 10:16 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    1300 for a DSA is not bad. I spent 1800 on mine. Awesome rifle, I love it, but I'm considering selling it soon.

As for headspacing your FAL, I'd take it to a gunsmith.

Am I correct in guessing you bought your FAL from Surplus City?
    any bonehead with a set of gauges can check your headspace in 5 minutes, but if it's a new build thru centerfire you are likely OK. any bonehead with a few rounds of surp ammo and some scotch tape can do it just as well. i'd do it for you but i'm in york, so a bit out of your way.

register on the FALFILES forums.com to learn everything you ever wanted to know about FNFAL. the place is full of FAL experts who have built more FNFAL than century has, and have done a better job of it...

DSA is overrated (yes, i have one, and have built over a dozen other FNFAL). their customer service sucks, their carbines don't cycle because they don't drill out the gas vents to .108" like they're supposed to, and they have a hell of an attitude toward anybody and everybody.

(Philadelphia County)

Really, never heard that about DSA, thanks for the info. Hey maybe you could help me...I tried to register on FALForums right after I registered here and it said my email was banned.....I honestly have no clue why tho, I was never a member or anything. I emailed the administrator...no response. My email address is through Gmail, a free service, could that be why maybe ? Any help is much appreciated and thanks again for the info

(Bucks County)

in the philly and surrounding area you're not going to find anyone doing transfers for less than 40 bucks with the exception of pistol people, they charged 30 bucks the last time i checked.

never heard anyone bad mouth DSA rifles but i can say my stg58 runs like a champ and has never failed to go bang when i pull the trigger. on the other hand their customer service can suck big time if the wrong person answers the phone. when i've called to order something and a female answers she's great to deal with but when i've called and some guy answered he was a jackass with an attitude. good luck with your FAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast