Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clinton County)

Default Let a Trainer teach your wife or Girlfriend how to shoot.

My wife and I went to our first training. We had been shooting for several months. We have shot about 500 rounds each. Not alot. My wife was having problems and was getting frustrated due to not being able to put rounds on target. Her neuropathy screws her balance up. She can not fell the bottoms of her feet. My dad and I could not help her with her shooting.

The last hour of the training was 50 rounds of shooting. After going over stance and how to deal with her cross eye Dominance we started shooting. She was doing very well. The last 20 rounds we paired up to play the Clock game. Put bullseyes on 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock. Your Partner calls commands. Like 3 and 9. You would shoot 3 first than 9.

She started to not due as well. I through my arms up and said it must be me. The instructor came over and work on her grip and head alignment. She began to hit almost everything I told her to shoot. She almost out shot me the final 12 rounds. She may have but I will not admit it.

She can not wait to go back to the range and She really wants more training.
    She wants the same instructor but we will probably have the instructor that trained him . We were in a class with a couple who were deciding if they want to buy a firearm. At Tripoli's they provide you with a Range gun if you do not have one. I think the verdict is out on if they get one or not but they said they would try one more time. They gave the couple a revolver for her and he used a Glock 9mm. Did not see what model.

The Training was at Tripoli's Triggers Training and Education Center. The Indoor Range is very nice. Both Trainers they have are Williamsport LEOs

Default Re: Let a Trainer teach your wife or Girlfriend how to shoot.

My wife won't listen to me either..... I am just kidding. A good instructor is hard to find. Many folks know what they are talking about, but it takes a good instructor to see someone's problem and GET THEM TO CORRECT IT. I hope you and the wife enjoy many more range sessions!
    Jules

(Lycoming County)

How much did it cost if you dont mind me asking?

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Beest21 View Post
    How much did it cost if you dont mind me asking?
    $75 each. This included 50 rounds of their ammo, sight and eye protection plus a range pistol if needed. The other 3 levels that are all shooting skills are $58. I think it is level 3 they do a hogan's alley.
    I thought $75 was to much but after seeing what it did for my wife it was well worth it. I learned alot also but she had alot more to deal with.

(Chester County)

My girlfriend already shoots better than me. No lessons! I'm embarassed enough.
    Those who fear the coming of all Hells
    are those who should be feared themselves.

If it's a well run course of any reasonable time then $75 is cheap as hell. Especially at Tripoli's where Frank is known for having less than reasonable prices on many things involving the indoor range.
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

(Delaware County)

Here's a lesson that you really should have learned before getting married.

When the love of your life has a gun in her hand, that's when you shouldn't be telling her what to do. Let someone else do it, it's worth the money.

Many folks know what they are talking about, but it takes a good instructor to see someone's problem and GET THEM TO CORRECT IT.

My girlfriend already shoots better than me. No lessons! I'm embarassed enough.

Being a good shot is one thing. Teaching someone is another. I pretty much taught myself how to shoot handguns and was a pretty good shot. When I finally got some professional instruction I was a lot better after I broke all the bad technique I developed teaching myself. I encountered the same problem when I became an instructor deprogramming bad habits.

I'm not advocating mandatory training but anyone who is serious about shooting well should seek out instruction. This is evidenced by all the people who post pie plate groups at 7 yards and people telling him that's good enough, can't get anymore out of a 2" revolver.