Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: I didn't blow my face off...

Another shooter falls down this crazy, brass-filled rabbit hole. Congrats. You're in good company.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Welcome to the club.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Good news!

I'd like to see you touch some off sometime soon. I'll be standing at 8-o-clock about 10 feet back
    LOL...I shot these at my Dads house late yesterday afternoon. The only one who wanted to be out side with me was Jeffrey... and I made him go inside. He and my mom watched from the kitchen window, ready to call 911.

I would like to get to the range with you again. One of these weekends our schedules will match up and we can hit up Burma Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Congrats on getting started on reloading... and not blowing your face off (always an important consideration)!

That's funny. I can just picture the stance right now... Was anyone else around when you did the one-handed-hold-dominant-faceshield maneuver?

Since 357 sig is your carry caliber, I'd start on that next... though you'll have to trim the brass on those (I haven't gotten to that point yet, but from what I've read, it's a necessity after several firings). When you do start on the 357 sig, don't buy expensive 357 projectiles, go with 9mm that are the right size/shape. I use Rainier PHPs that are $89/1000, as opposed to about $130 or so for the 357 sigs.... and you can use them on your 9mm as well... though I use Precision Delta for 9mm - can't beat their prices.
    Thanks for the info about the 9mm/357 Sig. I have heard that some 9mm will not work in the 357 Sig I will be sure to get bullets that will. (I think that will be in the future though)

I made sure there was no photographic evidence of my "unorthodox" shooting stance.

Quote Originally Posted by radnor View Post
    Congrats and good job.

I know when my son and I started, I shot our first reloads. Fig'd wife would be REALLY be pissed if her baby got hurt.

And as others said, EVERYTHING by the book!
    My son was begging me all the way to my moms yesterday to be the first to shoot my reloads. (those of you who have met Jeffrey shouldn't be surprised by this)
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Delaware County)

ReconLDR,
    The only thing I don't really like about this thread and others is the concept of risk. A lot of people talk like reloads might be good, might explode, or might blow up their gun?

All the people I know who reload are very careful, read and research, and then follow the directions or get help from friends.

One guy I talked to said there was no way he was putting reloads into his expensive gun.

What?

Reloaders do not reload so as take more risks. By reloading your own ammo, I feel that I am taking less risks, get the exact ammo I want, and save money per round so I can have more rounds available to shoot.

Welcome to the world of reloading. Just like any other craft, there are people who reload the basics and then there are people who reload for long distance match shooting. The more you learn, the better you get.
    Besides more and more components, there are the detailed tools you end up really wanting. Things like chronographs, case trimmers, and by all means, if you don't have one, do NOT load any shells with a buddie's RCBS 1500 electronic scale/trickle charger. It ruins your whole satisfaction of using the regular powder thrower and measuring with a beam scale. Thank goodness I was able to order one for myself.

Smitty56

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty56 View Post
    ReconLDR,
    The only thing I don't really like about this thread and others is the concept of risk. A lot of people talk like reloads might be good, might explode, or might blow up their gun?

All the people I know who reload are very careful, read and research, and then follow the directions or get help from friends.

One guy I talked to said there was no way he was putting reloads into his expensive gun.

What?

Reloaders do not reload so as take more risks. By reloading your own ammo, I feel that I am taking less risks, get the exact ammo I want, and save money per round so I can have more rounds available to shoot.

Welcome to the world of reloading. Just like any other craft, there are people who reload the basics and then there are people who reload for long distance match shooting. The more you learn, the better you get.
    Besides more and more components, there are the detailed tools you end up really wanting. Things like chronographs, case trimmers, and by all means, if you don't have one, do NOT load any shells with a buddie's RCBS 1500 electronic scale/trickle charger. It ruins your whole satisfaction of using the regular powder thrower and measuring with a beam scale. Thank goodness I was able to order one for myself.

Smitty56
    ^^^This^^^
    If they're done right, they can be more reliable and accurate than factory ammo.

And your buddy sounds like quite a turd!

the only problems i have ever run into are backwards primers, no biggie...
    FJB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123