Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Purchased a S&W 637 38cal. SP+P, 1 7/8 Inch, Airweight, CTL Grip .. I like it.

Good Afternoon All.

Well, Although I have been enjoying my XDm 40 , I have expressed some interest in my other posts for a nice .38cal. revolver.
    In thinking about several factors including CC ease, I decided to go with the S&W 637 CT revolver..
    I have read nice things about it, and it fit my hand very nice for a smaller framed revolver..

( It came with a factory installed CT laser grip.. Feels good, But at this point I am primarily using it to see my hand movement when I single action dry fire "snap caps" on a small sticker in my basement from about 20 feet. It is quite enlightening to see how the trigger pull affects my aim this way.. and it is working to my benefit with live fire at the lane.)

Here are a few pics from some time with it at the range today..
    So far, so good.. I like it. No laser use.. I still like the iron sights for now, But the laser is sighted in nicely.
    I am using 130g rounds for practice ( 50per/bx) , as these seem to be about what the Personal protection rounds use.
    125-130g is what I see for sale for that purpose, But they are packaged 25per/bx.. and way too expensive to use at the range..
    But the goal here is too be comfortable shooting with a round similar to what would be needed if that dreaded situtation ever faced me in a protection situation..

FYI- I am still not carrying anything for PP. But the day will come when I am ready.

OK..

Just some pics of the pistol..

An aiming pic..

A cool pic that you can almost see something in mid air... Dunno.. LOL

Of course I took my XDm with me too.
    ( Added a Pachy grip thing , which actuallly feels very nice )

Practice will make perfect.
    ( I am seeing this is a slippery slope.. I will need to control myself LOL)

As usual.. Your comments and feedback are welcomed

I hope you all have a great weekend.
    ( Happy Easter week , For those of you who celebrate.. )

God Bless and Peace to all of you.

Vin
    Last edited by LedZep; March 27th, 2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Details.
    "I'll just keep on rolling along with the Grace of the Lord above."

(Forest County)

Default Re: Purchased a S&W 637 38cal. SP+P, 1 7/8 Inch, Airweight, CTL Grip .. I like it.

I just picked up a 637 ct on tuesday. I shot 50 rounds without problems. I seem to shoot much better single action with the iron sights. Hope that the double action will improve with practice.

I have carried it in a pocket holster and it has been a nice change from my 40 cal. sigma on the days that I want to lose some weight.

I got hornaday critical defense ammo for when I carry. Hope you continue to like your gun.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Purchased a S&W 637 38cal. SP+P, 1 7/8 Inch, Airweight, CTL Grip .. I like it.

Congrats on your new revolver. If your range will allow it I suggest setting a target about ten or so feet away and emptying the cylinder as fast as you can at it. Try different stances too. One hand, off hand, gun at waiste level or whatever you can think of. That gun is built for up close and personal problems. Try to practice for them. In the meantime, the holes in your target show you know how to handle the thing. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmer dan View Post
    I just picked up a 637 ct on tuesday. I shot 50 rounds without problems. I seem to shoot much better single action with the iron sights. Hope that the double action will improve with practice.

I have carried it in a pocket holster and it has been a nice change from my 40 cal. sigma on the days that I want to lose some weight.

I got hornaday critical defense ammo for when I carry. Hope you continue to like your gun.
    A double action pull require's a lot of DRY FIRE practicing while watching TV etc.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Congrats on your new revolver. If your range will allow it I suggest setting a target about ten or so feet away and emptying the cylinder as fast as you can at it. Try different stances too. One hand, off hand, gun at waiste level or whatever you can think of. That gun is built for up close and personal problems. Try to practice for them. In the meantime, the holes in your target show you know how to handle the thing. Keep it up.
    I agree. Also, don't worry about finger pad placement when you are practicing for DA revolver self defence. You will more than likely pull off target fighting the weight and waiting for the hammer to break and fall. Don't bother, in self defence mode jam your finger all the way through and empty the thing. Aim through your hand and gun, don't bother looking down the channel. You will get enough rounds center of mass in a 5 yard engagement.

You pistol is mainly designed for self preservation but that by no mean's doesn't close the door on you becoming an excellent crack shot. A stubbie DA does require a great deal more patience & practice to accomplish tight group's and like I said earlier Dry Firing is the secret to mastering the DA pull. But once you get the DA pull mastered you will also be much better with any other pistol. DA action's require a much more sensitive T/Pull and it will make you a better shot in every area of your sport. Keep us updated with your progress and congratulation's, you have a very nice Stubbie.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Forest County)

I'm sure that the more I use the gun the smoother that the trigger will get making double action shots better. It took a few clips for my sigma to become smooth and comfortable. The laser does make it nice to see what your trigger pull is doing to your aim while doing dry fire practice.

With some luck I will get to put some rounds down range tomorrow.