Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Does anyone else carry at home

A friend of mine asked me the other day why I carry my weapon openly at home. I guess she doesn't understand why I have my gun on my hip when I'm just sitting at my computer or making dinner. I just feel as though I'm more comfortable carrying my weapon at home because it helps me get used to it being there.

Does anyone else carry their weapon in nonpublic situations similar to the way I do?
    Junior

Default Re: Does anyone else carry at home

I leave my pistol on my hip while I'm at home. I guess you could say that I'm kind of lazy. If I've been out running errands and there's a chance that I may have to go out again, it's easier to keep the gun on. (Rather than disarm, walk back later, re-holster the gun..etc.)

Plus I say "why not"? Bad stuff can happen during the day. Might as well have the pistol available.

(Lackawanna County)

i do, usually. even if i didn't, there is always some kind of tool or weapon within an adult's reach, no matter where you are in the house.

(Delaware County)

I also wear it around the house (apartment, whatever) for that reason, fairfield. I just don't feel like taking it off, lol.
    Junior

If I'm awake, I'm armed. I was always told that the second you don't have it you'll need it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post

Does anyone else carry their weapon in nonpublic situations similar to the way I do?
    Yes...10 char

(Northampton County)

As soon as im dressed my gun goes on my hip until the end of the day when i get undressed. And then the it goes into my little hand safe on top of my 6 foot computer desk ( my carry gun only). I carry all day and all nite if im out. When my firends come over they allways ask me. Why you carryin now, at home??? And i tell them, bad guys dont wait for you to be ready....
    Mathews Z7

(Bucks County)

I wear it all the time too. It serves 2 purposes: (1) I have 2 kids at home...they both know to never touch it without asking, but they have friends...I may not always know exactly where the kids are, but I DO know where the gun is. (2) It gets the kids used to seeing it on a "normal" person and not just police officers.

(Allegheny County)

Yes, my wife and I both carry at home.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(York County)

I believe these types of questions often spring from a false assumption, just like, "Why are you packing a gun to Wal-Mart?"

Here's what I do NOT do:

I do NOT "pack heat" because I'm going to WalMart.
    I do NOT "strap on a gun" because I think I'm expecting a gun fight in my living room.
    I do NOT "go armed" to church because I am expecting a terrorist attack at any minute.
    I do NOT "bring a gun" to the local park for a quiet walk because I am expecting trouble.
    I do NOT open carry to Starbucks because I think "it's the wild west or something".
    I do NOT carry my gun with me into the bathroom/restroom because my precious male ego can't handle the reality of my teeny tiny penis.

So here is what I DO:

When I get up in the morning and get dressed, the gun already in it's holster, goes on my belt along with my cell phone. It's as much a part of getting dressed as my pants are. Because I recognize that there are real threats in the world, however rare in my experience, and I have chosen preparation over denial as a lifestyle.

I have never once in my life been in a situation where a gun would have come in handy. For that matter, I have never had even a small fire in my home, never needed a fire extinguisher, never needed a smoke detector (except as a cooking aid!), I have never had an automobile accident serious enough that my seat belt saved or helped me in any way.

But I still wear my seat belt. I have smoke detectors, CO2 and gas detectors, and 2 fire extinguishers in my home. I like being prepared.

If anyone thinks preparation and prevention measures are over-the-top or expensive, then maybe we should visit the trauma and expense of the "cure" should something go wrong.

I have only once been asked, "Why do you feel the need to carry a gun?" My response was to point out that the question arose from 2 false assumptions.

1) It is not a "feeling";
    2) It is not a "need"

Should I choose one day to carry an umbrella, it is not because I am afraid of the rain. It is because I prefer to remain dry on a particular day when rain is expected, and I consider the burden of an umbrella to be acceptable.

But that's just me.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; March 27th, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast