Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Handguns/Gun shop question

I was at Abington Gun sports this afternoon and I had a question that I was hoping someone could answer for me.

Right before I left I was hoping to hold a few Handguns (1911 and such), but was told that they couldn't let me since I was under 21. (I realize that I cannot purchase a handgun till i'm 21.) I asked the guy why I couldn't and he said the ATF would be all over him because I am under 21 and cannot own a gun. (? I thought the law was you can't purchase a gun, but you could have one given to you by a family member anytime after 18). I was in surplus city about a month ago and they were happy to pull the 3 or 4 guns I wanted to look at from the case. It wasn't a huge deal since I couldn't buy the gun anyway, but I was just wondering what the law was about they pulling a gun for me to feel.

So I was just wondering what the law is regarding a gun shop letting me hold a handgun.

(if this is in the wrong place let me know, I wasn't sure where to put it)

Default Re: Handguns/Gun shop question

I’m not sure of all the laws, but it is a business to sell a product that at this time you can’t purchase. We’re there others that he had to assist?

(Luzerne County)

As the OP already admittedly knows, he can not purchase (from an FFL) until 21, but there is no law preventing them from letting you fondle handguns.

Maybe he was too busy, maybe he's really that ignorant. But either way it sounds like he just didn't want to bother with a potential future customer and would rather lie then tell you the truth. I would remember that when you are old enough to purchase from an FFL

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

I agree it was not a good business decision. The sales person, maybe they are not the owner, is only worried about the next sale. No offense intended to the OP. Welcome to the site.
    Last edited by Iron Sights; March 27th, 2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

(Lehigh County)

I would definitely find a more knowledgeable and friendly gun shop.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    I’m not sure of all the laws, but it is a business to sell a product that at this time you can’t purchase. We’re there others that he had to assist?
    No, I was the only customer in the store at the time. It didn't seem as though he was trying to be unhelpful (he said that I could hold any of the long guns that he had behind the counter). So it would seem as though he may just not have known the law.

In that case, there are plenty of other shops that would like to have you as a future customer.

(Lehigh County)

Agreed. Granted I never looked at handguns before I was 21, but since then, whenever I've asked to look at a handgun at a gun shop, nobody asked me how old I was before clearing it and handing it to me.

Maybe I just look old.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Montgomery County)

OP, take yourself over to Classic Pistol in Southampton (nearby to you) and check out the wares. I am sure you will not have the problem you had at Abington, and they have a great range as well.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    OP, take yourself over to Classic Pistol in Southampton (nearby to you) and check out the wares. I am sure you will not have the problem you had at Abington, and they have a great range as well.
    I've been shooting at Classic Pistol with a friend on a few occasions, Haven't really taken a look at what there selection is though. Surplus city and Abington Gun are the only shops I have really "shopped." I really should try and get to afew more though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast