Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Buying pistol ammo at Wal Mart? Weird...

Went to Wally World tonight so the girlfriend could buy some silly movie I hope I don't have to watch. I wandered over to the ammo section and saw they had 350 packs of Thunderbolts for 11 bucks (which run great in my MK III, go figure...), and CCI Mini Mags, which I've been meaning to try. I grabbed the Thunderbolts and the CCI stuff and we went to check out. After scanning the ammo the cashier asked if it was for a handgun. I didn't even give it second thought... I wasn't really paying attention, the gf was doing the checking out. I said yes without even thinking, and THEN she asks if I'm 21, and THEN asks for ID.

I'm confused. Why ask if it's for a handgun? .22 isn't necessarily for a handgun, I could have said no. If I would have been buying 9mm would she have asked? What if I was shooting it out of a carbine? I've never had this happen before. Can anyone shed any light on the situation. I'm just curious.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Buying pistol ammo at Wal Mart? Weird...

Are you sure the questions are related? Maybe she was interested for the first question and doing her job for the others?

I think it's walmart policy not to sell handgun ammo(whatever that is) to anyone under 21, and since they know certain calibers go either way they just ask. In my experience, and what I've gathered from other folks is that it's mostly only when the buyer looks like they might be under 21.

It all comes down to making the corporate folks sleep better at night I'm sure.

(Chester County)

perhaps walmart is doing market research through their cashiers?

(Lackawanna County)

There was some big 'political' pressure (from anti-gun groups) a while back (starting in the early-to-mid-90's I believe, and culminating around the time that Bowling for Columbine came out) on the big chain stores to stop selling firearms and ammunition altogether - but *especially* to stop the sale of handguns and handgun ammo.

K-Mart caved in early altogether - folding like a cheap suit, as I recall. Wal-Mart started a policy to stop selling "handguns" and to only sell "handgun ammo" to people who are "over 21 years old".

As I understand it - this is the reason for what you went through.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

Hokkmike Guest

I have been asked that too but they never ask for ID. (balding head is proof enough I guess) I did ask why they asked and the answer was just because they were told not to sell pistol ammo to anyone under 21. Seem like a stupid plan to me because you can always answer no. I think there is a long arm made for many "pistol" cartridges.

They ask me too when I buy ammo if it's for a handgun or not.... their system, their game.... makes the corporate people sleep better I guess
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Wayne County)

If you feel you got a good deal on the ammo let them ask whatever they want...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    and culminating around the time that Bowling for Columbine came out)
    Yeah the scene where Michale Moore takes the kid in the wheel chair to K-marts headquarters and tells the president they would like to return some ammunition... he then tells him that they would like to return the two bullets lodged in the kids spine... good old uncle Mike

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    I think it's walmart policy not to sell handgun ammo(whatever that is) to anyone under 21, and since they know certain calibers go either way they just ask. In my experience, and what I've gathered from other folks is that it's mostly only when the buyer looks like they might be under 21.

It all comes down to making the corporate folks sleep better at night I'm sure.
    They ask me, and I am (21*2)+9 years old. I look it too. But when the question comes up, pistol or rifle, I answer, "machine gun". That usually ends the questions right there. I credit someone else on the board here for giving me that idea, although who it is, I do not recall - another sign of advancing age I suppose.

They are just reading off a script on the monitor. Most of the people who work the sporting goods counter know me by sight anyway. I am friendly and patient with them - the one guy can hardly walk, so it takes him a long time to get to the case and back to the counter, especially if I am buying several boxes of bulk .22. So I joke around with them and pass the time pleasantly, and they always are nice when I am there, even when I make my wise guy crack about the machine gun.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast