Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Question New Pistol Owner

In the next few weeks I'm going to be purchasing a new handgun for personal protection as well as target shooting. I'm 23 and this will be my first handgun and I'm looking for someone who will go to a range with me and give me some tips and general assistance. I've fired pistols before, but never owned one, so its kind of a new experience for me. I'm leaning toward an FN 5.7 or an HK USP .45 Tactical.

Are there any good places in the area for a newbie to shoot at without feeling pressured by others? I need a place where someone can take the time and give me instruction without being ostracized. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New Pistol Owner

i'm not from your area, so cannot give you any specific recommendations on clubs. (if you were from around here, i would point you to PMSC without hesitation.)

in my experience, though, most shooters who participate in IPSC/IDPA/CMP/etc. are very accommodating and helpful to new shooters. after all, the more people who are involved in shooting, the less like it is that new gun control laws will fly.

i would suggest trying to find a range near you that hosts IPSC or IDPA matches and try to hook up with some of those guys. you will likely find that a very new-shooter friendly environment.

(on a side note, i would seriously consider going with a 9mm for your first gun. the ammo is much cheaper, so you can afford to practice more. lots of practice is key to becoming proficient enough to maximize your chances of actually successfully defending yourself with a gun. i would also recommend looking to take a good training course or two. make sure the instructor has a good reputation and is self-defense oriented.)
    F*S=k

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: New Pistol Owner

Hi PLM-

Feel free to send me a PM and I can go over some ideas on pistols for you. I'm actually in the process of researching one for my wife right now, so I'm kind of "up" on the latest, although I don't know too much about the FN 5.7 round. I'm a .45 ACP kinda guy and I carry a Govt 1911.

As far as ranges, well, you're pretty much SOL, however there is a SGL about 30 minutes north of me (in Nanticoke) heading in the general direction of Ricketts Glen. I was just out there a few weeks ago on a Sunday running some rounds through my CETME, and they've got a decent 100 yard rifle range, and from what I could see, a nice 25 yard pistol range. the SGL rules are really draconian about what you can and can't do, mag capacities, distance to the target, etc, etc, etc, but on the other hand, if you're just getting started at least it's something to get familiar with and practice at.

There are clubs around, but you need to stand on your head at midnight, on the fourth Wednesday of sixth month in a leap year while clicking your heels together 3 times and hoping you can get moved on a waiting list, AFTER some current members vouch for you and you go through an approval process, etc, etc, etc. Till then, I go visit my family in Pittsburgh and go shoot on their farm when I feel the need to expend some lead.

Anyway, shoot me a PM, and I'll be glad to offer any advice I can on picking a new shooter, and if you need some company going out to the SGL, let me know.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -Marine General James Mattis
    "Stupid people never get smarter, but alcohol metabolizes" - GunLawyer001