Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Gunsmith Needed to Install AK Optics Rails

Hey everybody,

Does anyone know of a gunsmith, preferably not too far from Harrisburg, who can/will install the side mounted Optic rails/plates on AK's?

I've got 3 guns that need them put on and I can't seem to find anyone who is comfortable doing it.

I've thought about doing it myself, but I just don't have the tools, or the confidence in my own gunsmithing abilities to do it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't even need to be a gunsmith necessarily, any members who'd like to make a few bucks and know what they're doing are more than welcome! I can order the parts etc.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Gunsmith Needed to Install AK Optics Rails

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    Hey everybody,

Does anyone know of a gunsmith, preferably not too far from Harrisburg, who can/will install the side mounted Optic rails/plates on AK's?

I've got 3 guns that need them put on and I can't seem to find anyone who is comfortable doing it.

I've thought about doing it myself, but I just don't have the tools, or the confidence in my own gunsmithing abilities to do it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't even need to be a gunsmith necessarily, any members who'd like to make a few bucks and know what they're doing are more than welcome! I can order the parts etc.
    there are adapter kits(which suck) out there that can be installed with a screw driver and some needle noses but they are aftermarket kits that may or may not line up properly. just use jb weld, its a lot more solid than even the factory riveted rails but AKs and scopes aren't exactly good friends but for those of us who can't see past 100 yards they work good enough for minute of man lol

others mileage my be better but from my experiences a scope on an AK is like an ash tray on a harley.

are you using scopes or red dot types of optics?
    I needs the following... .303 ammo, scrap steel, and and cheap SKS. please LMK

(York County)

Try Bill owner of M&B Custom Firearms Inc.

58 Village Road
    Etters, PA 17319-9673
    (717) 938-3311

(Allegheny County)

You can always PM PA Patriot.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Lancaster County)

I got a PM from PAPatriot last night. Sounds like my problem is solved.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 556slinger View Post
    there are adapter kits(which suck) out there that can be installed with a screw driver and some needle noses but they are aftermarket kits that may or may not line up properly. just use jb weld, its a lot more solid than even the factory riveted rails but AKs and scopes aren't exactly good friends but for those of us who can't see past 100 yards they work good enough for minute of man lol

others mileage my be better but from my experiences a scope on an AK is like an ash tray on a harley.

are you using scopes or red dot types of optics?
    I agree with you in general. I just want to have the ability to mount a scope if at any point I feel I want one on the rifle, and a proper rail is necessary for it to work. The after market stuff is junk, at least in my experience.

I have a Kobra that works like a charm on one of my AK-74's, but I'd actually rather use it on another gun that currently doesn't have an optics plate.

I also usually agree about scoping an AK, but I've got one that may be the exception. My Yugo M70B1 with the original barrel is an absolute tackdriver with open sights, and I'm fairly confident that if scoped, it would be shockingly effective at longer ranges.

I'd imagine that JB Weld could work, but I think if I'm going to do this, I'll do it right.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    I agree with you in general. I just want to have the ability to mount a scope if at any point I feel I want one on the rifle, and a proper rail is necessary for it to work. The after market stuff is junk, at least in my experience.

I have a Kobra that works like a charm on one of my AK-74's, but I'd actually rather use it on another gun that currently doesn't have an optics plate.

I also usually agree about scoping an AK, but I've got one that may be the exception. My Yugo M70B1 with the original barrel is an absolute tackdriver with open sights, and I'm fairly confident that if scoped, it would be shockingly effective at longer ranges.

I'd imagine that JB Weld could work, but I think if I'm going to do this, I'll do it right.
    lol yeah if you use jb weld, if its on there its never comming off so do it right or you'll just have some pos rail on there that just pisses you off lol.
    I like those rails that mount on the front sight and on the rear tang but i can't afford one so...... oh well, irons will just have to do for me.

(Berks County)

for the ak 47 the scope rail sits on the left side of the reciever and it riveted in place.

i dont think jb weld will work out so well on a recoiling rifle when the part needs to have some better form of contact......

PA Patriot will hook you up.

the side plate rivets are removed and with a rivet jig and a 12 ton press the new rivets are put in place to hold the rail properly to the rifle.

good luck

I went and got a UTG top rail scope rail mount and its holding zero just fine
    gotta love her ;)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    for the ak 47 the scope rail sits on the left side of the reciever and it riveted in place.

i dont think jb weld will work out so well on a recoiling rifle when the part needs to have some better form of contact......

PA Patriot will hook you up.

the side plate rivets are removed and with a rivet jig and a 12 ton press the new rivets are put in place to hold the rail properly to the rifle.

good luck

I went and got a UTG top rail scope rail mount and its holding zero just fine
    i don't know gold cup, if jb weld held my 20lb bumper on my pontiac and people use it to seal up cracks on engine blocks then i am pretty sure it will secure a 1lb scope and if one took their time and did a nice job no one would ever know jb was even used but don't screw up because its permanent!!! lol

(Philadelphia County)

If your still in the market, Samson rear sight optics rail is what i am going with, the rear sight is just like the ak's below the rail, although i have a Tech sight on mine which i believe would be better so i will probably just trim the rear sight area on the rail so i can see thru it with the tech sight. My ak also does not have a side rail mount and have been contemplating on installing one or not. I want to use an EOTech with a magnifier, i know the EOTech will fit so i might try using an ultimak for the magnifier IF they manage to line up or if i can get them to. If not...back to the drawing board lol
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!