Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Local PD had a class today.

Well, there was a class at the local PD for the LEOs. The basics that they went over with the officers is that with recent events, more and more people are excersizing their rights to open carry.

They were trained on not to over react to a MWAG call, and to also be aware of the implications that miss handling a situation could cause. So, basically, they got a refresher course that is well needed.

Don't have much other information on it right now, but I thought I would throw it out there that one of the local PDs is getting more training on it.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Local PD had a class today.

Seems like there needs to be many more of these. According to another thread, only one PGH officer made it to the training day....lol
    Junior

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Seems like there needs to be many more of these. According to another thread, only one PGH officer made it to the training day....lol
    Did any Lansdale cops make it??

(Delaware County)

Apparently not...
    Junior

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Well, there was a class at the local PD for the LEOs. The basics that they went over with the officers is that with recent events, more and more people are excersizing their rights to open carry.

They were trained on not to over react to a MWAG call, and to also be aware of the implications that miss handling a situation could cause. So, basically, they got a refresher course that is well needed.

Don't have much other information on it right now, but I thought I would throw it out there that one of the local PDs is getting more training on it.
    Was this the 2010 MPOETC update?

(Venango County)

Yep, I do believe so. I checked the printout I have, and he was saying that was essentially the same thing they got. But someone was there answering questions, and going into better explanation about all that it entailed.

I asked what they all thought about it. The one cop still thinks the minute you have a gun he has a right to handcuff you, and take your weapon for öfficer safety". I told him to let me know when he is working, a lawsuit could pay for my upcoming marriage pretty well lol.

He did say that as soon as they found out who I was, they wouldn't care. I havn't really met most of the cops in that jurisdiction yet.

(Allegheny County)

The one cop still thinks the minute you have a gun he has a right to handcuff you, and take your weapon for öfficer safety".
    he is probably thinking of a terry stop and seizure. but the part he is missing is that he has to have RAS of a crime for the stop/detention in the first place...and OCing on foot in PA outside of philly does not, in and of itself, give rise to RAS for a stop/detention.
    F*S=k

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    he is probably thinking of a terry stop and seizure. but the part he is missing is that he has to have RAS of a crime for the stop/detention in the first place...and OCing on foot in PA outside of philly does not, in and of itself, give rise to RAS for a stop/detention.
    Oh I know, and I try to explain it to him and he gets mad. I have been trying to get him to listen to me for more than 20 years now lol. He still won't. He is basically saying that if I get pulled over for speeding, and admit to having a legal, licensed pistol on my side, that he can still do that. I told him to go ahead and do it. When the lawyers hit the fan, and when he loses his job, maybe then he will listen to me. I told him to talk to his chief about it, and get the defenite. I know the guy is on the straight and narrow and wouldn't do him wrong.

(Allegheny County)

He is basically saying that if I get pulled over for speeding, and admit to having a legal, licensed pistol on my side, that he can still do that.
    he is most likely right about that.

he has RAS of a crime to make the traffic stop in the first place. if you tell him you are armed, he has RAS that you are armed. and the courts have ruled numerous times that traffic stops are "inherently dangerous" for police. thus, all three prongs of the terry test are, according to the courts, met.

the police can disarm you during a traffic stop for no real reason. i personally think it is BS, but it is.
    F*S=k

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    he is most likely right about that.

he has RAS of a crime to make the traffic stop in the first place. if you tell him you are armed, he has RAS that you are armed. and the courts have ruled numerous times that traffic stops are "inherently dangerous" for police. thus, all three prongs of the terry test are, according to the courts, met.

the police can disarm you during a traffic stop for no real reason. i personally think it is BS, but it is.
    Which is a very good reason to never "admit" you have anything - even if it is legal.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast