Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Received my LTCF - The experience

Finally got my LTCF and thought I would share my experience with the forum.

Since I live in Montgomery County I was required to have the Police Check card filled out prior to submitting my application to the Sheriffs Office in Norristown. The rule itself is a bit of a nuisance as I believe our bordering counties don't have the same rule. That said, the Police check process went fair. After taking some time and heading over to my local Police Dept to initiate the Police check, I learned that they do not maintain the form locally and that I had to go to the courthouse to pick it up. Since the only instructions available on the Sheriff's website were "Local Police check card must be signed by your local police department " I presumed (incorrectly) that this meant my first stop in the process was my local police department. Of course, as I mentioned above, I was wrong. This meant that the overall process involved would be...

a trip to my local PD - to learn the police check card was at the sheriffs office
    a trip to the Sheriff's office - to obtain the police check card
    another trip to my local PD - to drop the filled out police check card
    another trip to the sheriffs office - to obtain the LTCF

This aside, after I made the trip to pick up the police check card form, my experience with my local PD was fair...took a week and I had to follow up on my own to pick up the signed police check card. When I stopped in to ask about the status of the check, the officer helping me had to go retrieve it from whatever forgotten drawer it was sitting in and get it stamped. Customer service certainly wasn't top of mind. All in all, I came away feeling the folks at my local PD were very courteous and helpful throughout.

Once i was able to get my local PD check card, I had to wait a few days until I could set some time aside to get over to Norristown for the final stage of my journey. Today, I was able to put two hours aside and took the trip. Have to say, the folks at the Sheriff's office were top notch. In and out in 10 minutes. Bing Bang Boom...that was it.

If I had one complaint it would be that the gentleman taking my picture didn't tell me when he was taking the picture and as a result I ended up looking like troll in the pic. Then again, not sure any pose I struck would have helped with this mug of mine...

Kudos to the Norristown Sheriffs Dept for making the process smooth as silk and an atta boy to my local PD for doing an OK job with a fair process that that the folks were their had to follow.
    the pen is mightier than the sword but don't ever fuckin' forget that sword. -topsykretts

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Received my LTCF - The experience

Quote Originally Posted by speedseeker View Post
    Kudos to the Norristown Sheriffs Dept for making the process smooth as silk and an atta boy to my local PD for doing an OK job with a fair process that that the folks were their had to follow.
    Let me get this straight, you go to all that trouble to deal with the extra requirement (police check card) for getting your LTCF, which has no basis in law, and you think the process was "smooth as silk"?

(Monroe County)

police check card?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    police check card?
    AKA "The sheriff is too lazy to do his own investigation" card
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Montgomery County)

Well....No, I don't like the overall process any more than you....I wasn't happy (AT ALL) about having to drive all over hill and dale.

I guess I was just trying to say, the folks who helped me face to face had nothing to do with creating the process and when they were helping me they did a good job.
    the pen is mightier than the sword but don't ever fuckin' forget that sword. -topsykretts

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by speedseeker View Post
    Well....No, I don't like the overall process any more than you....I wasn't happy (AT ALL) about having to drive all over hill and dale.

I guess I was just trying to say, the folks who helped me face to face had nothing to do with creating the process and when they were helping me they did a good job.
    well at least they politely fulfilled their illegal duties...so I guess that's good!

(Northampton County)

I cant believe that the sheriff makes people (you in this case) do the work for him. I think that proccess is unfair and wrong. If there gonna make your run around in circles at least they could do is have the police check card at the PD. IMHO thats just stupid. That sheriff should get a rectal exam cuz hes full of SHIT!!! LAZY BASTARDO

SORRY BAD DAY JUST VENTING
    Mathews Z7

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by kadar View Post
    AKA "The sheriff is too lazy to do his own investigation" card
    ah ok, that makes sense.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    well at least they politely fulfilled their illegal duties...so I guess that's good!
    Ha! Well said...

(Indiana County)

So it is ok when they tell you to bend over and grab your ankles if lube is used and they are polite about it.
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast