Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Planting for Deer, Turkey, rabbits and other tasty things..

Does any one have any ideas or suggestions on planting for small and large game. Particularly where to buy seeds in the Monore area at wholesale prices. I have been buying my seeds at Wallmart but they only sell small bags that cost $1 each and have very little seed in them. I want to buy seeds by the pound at wholesale prices. The goal is to attract Deer, Turkey, Rabbits and Bears.

I did buy a 20 lb bag of corn seed intended as deer feed and started spreading that around. Any reason why that would not grow? Seed is Seed right?

Thanks for any help and advice.
    Last edited by tsafa; March 25th, 2010 at 10:38 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Planting for Deer, Turkey, rabbits and other tasty things..

I could get products from a supply warehouse near by. They have all different types of products you can plant. They also sell the deercain, c meer deer, and products like that. If your interested pm me and i'll see what I could do. Let me know what you might be interested in. Would be better as a group buy maybe.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post
    Does any one have any ideas or suggestions on planting for small and large game. Particularly where to buy seeds in the Monore area at wholesale prices. I have been buying my seeds at Wallmart but they only sell small bags that cost $1 each and have very little seed in them. I want to buy seeds by the pound at wholesale prices. The goal is to attract Deer, Turkey, Rabbits and Bears.

I did buy a 20 lb bag of corn seed intended as deer feed and started spreading that around. Any reason why that would not grow? Seed is Seed right?

Thanks for any help and advice.
    did you really say you bought corn seed and just spread it around?

you know you need to PLANT things for them to grow right?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    did you really say you bought corn seed and just spread it around?

you know you need to PLANT things for them to grow right?
    LOL, I was talking figuratively.

(Monroe County)

IIRC, the best thing for deer is "browse." If you trim, fruit trees in particular, you can leave the branches on the ground and the deer will eat the small twigs and other stuff they like. Deer, rabbits, etc. love acorns so you might want to not cut down existing oak trees. The guys at Canfields Agway on Lower Main Street, in Stroudsburg are usually pretty knowledgeable and might have other suggestions as far as planting stuff goes. HTH

edited to add, if you want to attract game, and have some extra acreage, leave it natural. Animals like cover and letting the grass grow will provide an environment for them to thrive in. Keep in mind that if they do thrive, you may then get predators like hawks, bobcats, foxes, and coyotes.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; March 25th, 2010 at 11:30 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post
    LOL, I was talking figuratively.
    haha okay just making sure.

If you bought corn kernels they may not be able to grow, its also not a very good plant to grow for bring in the deer as it is pretty much worthless for 90% of the time when its growing and has a very limited food supply when it is finally ready

you'd do much better with clover type plants which will normally grow back after being chewed on. Also keep in mind depending on what you plant you may need to plant several different batches throughout the year.

check out http://www.mossyoakbiologic.com/

also its important to keep in mind how much a deer can eat and how quickly your food plot may be decimated. if you are doing a small plot (under 1/2 an acre) you'll probably have to replant it a few times or the deer will just move on.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    IIRC, the best thing for deer is "browse." If you trim, fruit trees in particular, you can leave the branches on the ground and the deer will eat the small twigs and other stuff they like. Deer, rabbits, etc. love acorns so you might want to not cut down existing oak trees. The guys at Canfields Agway on Lower Main Street, in Stroudsburg are usually pretty knowledgeable and might have other suggestions as far as planting stuff goes. HTH
    they'll eat this but not as a first choice, if they have the options of a field full of lush soy plants or some tree bark its going to be a no brainer

(Monroe County)

they'll eat this but not as a first choice, if they have the options of a field full of lush soy plants or some tree bark its going to be a no brainer
    He could always do what my mom used to do which is to plant a nice vegetable garden and put a fence around it, hang soap, etc. and try to keep the deer and ground hogs out. That worked like a charm.

(Monroe County)

Keep in mind that if they do thrive, you may then get predators like hawks, bobcats, foxes, and coyotes.
    Excellent!

The guys at Canfields Agway on Lower Main Street, in Stroudsburg are usually pretty knowledgeable and might have other suggestions as far as planting stuff goes.
    Thanks. I will check them out.

you'd do much better with clover type plants which will normally grow back after being chewed on.
    What are "Clover" type plants. Can you give me some examples? Do you mean like a Four Leaf Clover?
    Last edited by tsafa; March 25th, 2010 at 02:59 PM.

(Monroe County)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast