Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Re: Picking up others spent shells a felony?

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    I have heard of ranges that have a rule that if it hits the ground it's range property. that would be a house rule nothing near a felony.
    Not a range I would be a part of.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Those who call BS are calling it right.

There are some commercial ranges that (generally for safety reasons) prohibit you from going ahead of the firing line, thus they post that no brass ahead of the firing line may be picked up, and "...becomes the property of the range" is the easiest way that they know of to make that statement. I worked at one a few years ago. However, at that range, we would allow a shooter to pick up his own brass ahead if the range was otherwise unoccupied.

There used to be a range that I shot at which had the rule and held it inflexibly. They scavenged their brass and they relaoded it for range-ammo. That was where I continued to shoot for a while, but all I shot then was some A-MERC brass that I had culled from my own brass hoard, and reloaded with lead bullets so they could have the pleasure. I wonder how their Dillon swallowed that crap?

Range ettiquette, for as long as I have been shooting, has been to mark your own brass if you are shootng at the same time as others, and only pick up your own. If you pick up that which you know is not yours, leave it on the bench for its owner to claim. Or, barring that, ask if other shooters want their own brass. -- However, any brass that anyone walks away from is fair game.

Cleaning up a range where there are no shooters is a public service.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Range rats will say just about anything to get your brass. I've been hassled while shooting, hassled while being a range rat myself, and generally just hassled at public ranges. Most times I go to the public range, I have a blast... when it's raining, windy and 45 degrees. I also enjoy the rule enforcers trying to enforce rules that don't exist. I really want to join a private range where I can shoot with people who don't pick the stall next to you at an empty range or sweep you with their jammed AR while you are heading toward your car to get out of Dodge.

At my local range, there is always someone picking up brass, yet I've never seen them fire a single round.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rezin777 View Post
    Range rats .....

At my local range, there is always someone picking up brass, yet I've never seen them fire a single round.
    Yeah, last year, Normlizer and I were at the Dillsburg SGL, and there was a guy started picking up our brass while we were firing. He relented when we told him that we were going to pick up our own brass, but he did want all that was not ours. We just told him to wait until we were done shooting and he could have what we walked away from. (We did a "most meticulous" range cleanup before we left) It is always nice when you leave a place such as a public range nicer than what you found it.

I'm told that the woman who lives up the road a mile does a daily scrounge-run on that place.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Chester County)

Had guys ask me if its ok to collect my spent brass from the range floor, the courteous way to handle it. Since I don't reload, they sure can pick them up saving me the trouble.

(Montgomery County)

i call these guys that pick up your brass without asking first "Brassholes".

I've had some most unpleasant confrontations with them at SGL ranges.

since I dotn reload, if you ask, i'll hand it to ya, if ya DONT ask, i'll be sure to step all over it, crush it hard, pick it up and dump it in the fire cans.

brassholes can go fuck themselves.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Yeah, last year, Normlizer and I were at the Dillsburg SGL, and there was a guy started picking up our brass while we were firing. He relented when we told him that we were going to pick up our own brass, but he did want all that was not ours. We just told him to wait until we were done shooting and he could have what we walked away from. (We did a "most meticulous" range cleanup before we left) It is always nice when you leave a place such as a public range nicer than what you found it.

I'm told that the woman who lives up the road a mile does a daily scrounge-run on that place.

Flash
    I live a few miles from Dillsburg SGL and unless I want to shoot on a rainy day, I go to Carlisle SGL.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post

since I dotn reload, if you ask, i'll hand it to ya, if ya DONT ask, i'll be sure to step all over it, crush it hard, pick it up and dump it in the fire cans.

I agree!

Nothing irks me more at a public range than someone standing 3 feet behind you drooling over the spent cases coming from your rifle. If a fellow shooter is brass conscious and asks me if I save my brass, I certainly wouldn't mind letting him clean up. But when someone who is hanging out at the range WITHOUT a gun, well... you can be damn sure I'm going home with all my brass, and anything else I can pick up along the way.

(Monroe County)

I'm not a lawyer but I did go to the police academy(years ago). I believe range brass that was not picked up by its owner would be considered discarded rubbish. Discarded rubbish is fair game for all, so don't call the police when someone is digging through your garbage out at the curb. I guess you could call if they were digging through your kitchen garbage can though.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post

Incidentally I had the opposite occur. I was shooting my AR-15 at Scotia range when a dude went through the brass container and pulled a ton of .223 brass out. He then asked if I reloaded and when I said yes he actually gave me a bunch of the brass he'd collected.

He said he picked up more than his fair share.

Thankfully I haven't had the brasshole experience yet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast