Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Minor Template Change: Infraction/Warning Notices on Posts

If an infraction or a warning is issued for a post, a red notice will now appear above the text of the post indicating that the poster was given an infraction/warning for the post in question.

This is something that many staff members did manually by editing the post to reflect this, but we dug in and found a way to automate it and make it consistent.

Hopefully this will give members and random visitors alike some more insight into what sort of posts are not acceptable, violate our rules, and what exactly moderators are up to.

Additionally, we hope this will help cut down on duplicate reporting of posts once users see that the matter has been "handled."
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Minor Template Change: Infraction/Warning Notices on Posts

thats great..there have been many times that I wondered what was said to deserve an infraction...now we'll be more informed!...thanks!

Did you take lessons from Obama on "Transparency"?......

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    thats great..there have been many times that I wondered what was said to deserve an infraction...now we'll be more informed!...thanks!
    That's part of the plan! Our hope is that a little bit more transparency will help make these things less confusing for people.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    That's part of the plan! Our hope is that a little bit more transparency will help make these things less confusing for people.

Fantastic change Dan, I suspect it will alleviate favoritism, or the appearance thereof, as well.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post

Did you take lessons from Obama on "Transparency"?......
    The change really doesn't tell you anything more than an infraction was issued, see here: http://forum.pafoa.org/790935-post-355.html

I was issued this infraction for what was called "Trolling: Instigation" but that info only appears in my user cp.

All I did was show a new comer how to find the new posts button AFTER a mod said no more off topic posts. Off topic? sure it was, but I was just trying to help a newbe.

(Philadelphia County)

Unfortunately as far as I can tell, no more information is available to the template except the simple data of whether or not an infraction/warning was received. I was hoping that I might be able to show which one was given as well.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    The change really doesn't tell you anything more than an infraction was issued, see here: http://forum.pafoa.org/790935-post-355.html

I was issued this infraction for what was called "Trolling: Instigation" but that info only appears in my user cp.

All I did was show a new comer how to find the new posts button AFTER a mod said no more off topic posts. Off topic? sure it was, but I was just trying to help a newbe.

Maybe it was the TPT cartoon?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Maybe it was the TPT cartoon?
    No, look at the whole thread in that post area, lot's of other infractions for non inflammatory stuff, Michelle got one too for the same thing I said but without the photo of where the new posts link was. I was told it was strictly for being off topic by the mod who issued it.

My post was #355, one person got an infraction for saying "what button is this?" and nothing more

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/62828-park-ranger-incident-citation-disorderly-conduct.html#post790935

I'm not trying to rehash the stupidity of the infractions issued in that thread, I was just pointing to an example of what this thread is about and how the new template changes does nothing more than say an infraction was issued, nothing as to why.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    ...the new template changes does nothing more than say an infraction was issued, nothing as to why.[/COLOR]

exactly right. unless the infraction was to YOU, its none of your business what it was for. the template merely makes a public indication that an infraction was garnered, so to let people not only know to STOP HITTING THE REPORT POST BUTTON, but the issue has been addressed already.

the Staff has an icon that indicates an infraction was given, but that is invisible to other users (who then think someone "got away with something" when they still see the post later or think the issue was ignored by staff), so this lets users know an action was taken.

if the content is unusually nasty, we will edit out the content that caused the infraction, as we have done in the past.

frankly, the infraction reason is usually pretty obvious in serious cases, but still, the actual reason and action taken is between the infracted user and the site staff, others should have no expectation of being informed of any information that does not DIRECTLY involve them, its not their business.
    Last edited by JayBell; March 26th, 2010 at 06:36 PM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

so basically what you are saying is, if anyone decides to post something slightly off topic, they will get an infraction?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast