Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Open carrying a rifle

Hello everyone, I am here to ask if in the state of Pennsylvania, am I allowed to open carry an assault rifle such as a semi-automatic AR-15 Considering I am 18 years of age and without anything prohibiting me from owning a firearm.

Also I have read on http://paopencarry.org/ that persons 18 years of age and older whom are not prohibited by law from owning firearms may openly carry a handgun in plain sight with no license except in vehicles. I am confused about this because I thought that in all 50 states, you must be atleast 21 years of age to own a handgun, can someone explain this better to me as well as post a link, it will be appreciated.

Default Re: Open carrying a rifle

you can't carry something that doesn't exsist.

but yes one can carry an ar however i'm not sure on age requirements so I can't speak to that. However, I believe you have the be 21 to buy a hand gun

(Luzerne County)

Legally, yes you can openly carry a rifle, but where will you be carrying it?? I don't think walking around town or carrying it into the mall is a good idea. Legal, yes. Smart, no so much.

For the most part, in PA a person must be 21 yoa to purchase a handgun......and 18 yoa to "own" it........and 18 yoa to carry in in certain conditions.

The 18yoa thing may not apply to all states, but it does in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by 4theConstitution View Post
    Also I have read on http://paopencarry.org/ that persons 18 years of age and older whom are not prohibited by law from owning firearms may openly carry a handgun in plain sight with no license except in vehicles. I am confused about this because I thought that in all 50 states, you must be atleast 21 years of age to own a handgun, can someone explain this better to me as well as post a link, it will be appreciated.
    You must be at least 21 to purchase a handgun, but 18 to own one. A handgun can legally be gifted by parents, grandparents, and spouses to 18-20 year olds who are not otherwise prohibited from ownership. You are correct that you do not need a Pennsylvania license to carry firearms (PA LTCF) to open carry outside of a vehicle and outside a city of the first class. Pennsylvania currently has only one city of the first class - Philadelphia.

I'm looking for the legal citation now.

(Lackawanna County)

you can't carry an assault rifle in PA, because there are no assault rifles to carry.

(Luzerne County)

STOP

Wrong answers above.

You CAN buy a handgun at 18 in Pa.

Per Pa. law You must be 18 to buy a handgun in Pa.

You must have the transfer done at an FFL (*see below) or a sheriff's office unless you meet one of the exemptions to 18Pa.C.S.6111 such as (c) parent/spouse/child/grandparent/grandchild. In which case the sale (transfer) can be done without

*Per federal law FFL's can not sell or transfer a handgun to persons under 21

Tat leaves you with transfer via sheriff or exempt transfer as I cited above.

HTH Short on time, cya

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Chester County)

You cannot carry longarms:

1. in Phila;
    2. within 1000 feet of school property unless in a locked case;
    3. where prohibited (courts, school, etc);

You must be 21 to buy from an FFL by Federal law. There are other legal ways to obtain a handgun (inheritance, gifting within certain lineage, etc) for 18 yoa.

You can open carry a handgun except:

1. in Phila
    2. where prohibited (courts, school, etc);
    3. in a vehicle;
    4. within 1000 feet of school property unless in a locked case.

You can transport unloaded longarms in a vehicle.

Note that there is a Game law that presumes longarm possession as prima facie evidence of hunting so carrying a longarm near hunting areas can be problematic.

All of the above assumes you are not a prohibited person.
    IANAL

This isn't an "official" citation, but it's good enough for me...from the NRA-ILA website:

Age Restrictions On The Purchase And Possession Of Firearms

Federal law imposes the following restrictions aimed at younger persons:

A person must be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition, and 18 years of age to buy a rifle or shotgun or ammunition, from a retail firearm dealer. (GCA, 1968)

A person under age 18 may not possess a handgun or handgun ammunition, and it is illegal for a person to provide a handgun or handgun ammunition to a person under age 18, except for target shooting, hunting, or certain other exempted purposes. (Youth Handgun Safety Act, 1994)

Pennsylvania - No seller may deliver a handgun to any person under 18.
    Last edited by kcr121; March 23rd, 2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: deleted misinformation

(Adams County)

I thought a rifle was considered to be an assault rifle if it was manufactured in another country, with a high cap mag and had less than three US made parts. I had concerns about this when I owned a Saiga. I bought a 30 rd mag, Belarus made mount and a chinese scope.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    STOP

Wrong answers above.

You CAN buy a handgun at 18 in Pa.

Per Pa. law You must be 18 to buy a handgun in Pa.

You must have the transfer done at an FFL (*see below) or a sheriff's office unless you meet one of the exemptions to 18Pa.C.S.6111 such as (c) parent/spouse/child/grandparent/grandchild. In which case the sale (transfer) can be done without

*Per federal law FFL's can not sell or transfer a handgun to persons under 21

Tat leaves you with transfer via sheriff or exempt transfer as I cited above.

HTH Short on time, cya
    Yep, Pa. Patriot is right - I forgot about the sheriff transfer...probably because I've never heard of anyone actually doing it. That's the only way to buy a handgun at 18 that I've heard of.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast