Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Conceal Carry At Penn State University

Going up to PSU to visit my friends this weekend. Is it legal to carry on campus, in campus building and such. I only ask because I'm going shooting up that way on sunday and I don't like the idea of leaving my gun in the car where someone could steal it. I know that at schools K-12 it is illegal but I was not sure about college. Sorry if this answer has been posted already, I'm a newbie

Default Re: Conceal Carry At Penn State University

Quote Originally Posted by 1988 Olds View Post
    Going up to PSU to visit my friends this weekend. Is it legal to carry on campus, in campus building and such. I only ask because I'm going shooting up that way on sunday and I don't like the idea of leaving my gun in the car where someone could steal it. I know that at schools K-12 it is illegal but I was not sure about college. Sorry if this answer has been posted already, I'm a newbie
    There is no law in Pennsylvania that prohibits carrying on college campuses. They can, however, ask you to leave, and if you refuse, you can be charged with trespassing. If you're going to carry, it would be advisable to conceal it and conceal it well.

ETA: from the Penn State Judicial Affairs website:

4. WEAPONS, FIREARMS, AND PAINTBALL DEVICES: The possession, storing, carrying, or use of any weapon, ammunition, or explosive by any person is prohibited on all University property except by authorized law enforcement officers and other persons specifically authorized by the University. No person shall possess, carry, or use any fireworks on University property, except for those persons authorized by University and local governments to discharge such fireworks as part of a public display. Paintball guns and paintball markers may only be used on the property of the University in connection with authorized University activities and only at approved locations (also see SY-12).
    As a non-student, the above policy applies to you; however, they can only ask you to leave. If you were a student discovered to be carrying, you would likely be expelled.
    Last edited by kcr121; March 23rd, 2010 at 04:28 PM.

if don't do a good job of concealing you'll be asked to leave most likely. there is no law against it, just university policy but the local cops are rubbish and may make your life difficult

(Bucks County)

I would defiantly be carrying concealed as to not startle anyone or have to deal with people asking me yo man can I hold your gun. My ? was if something weird happened and I was confronted would It legally be ok. Also from my understanding my friend doesn't actually live on Penn State Property so I guess I will be ok. Thanks for the help guys.

(Centre County)

Recently joined and exploring the forum, I'm wondering if we can expect something similar to what happened in Colorado where the state supreme court said the public universities can't make "policies" that conflict with the laws of the state. Seeing as all of PSU is located on a land grate, so public state property, I don't see why this couldn't happen here.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    There is no law in Pennsylvania that prohibits carrying on college campuses. They can, however, ask you to leave, and if you refuse, you can be charged with trespassing. If you're going to carry, it would be advisable to conceal it and conceal it well.

ETA: from the Penn State Judicial Affairs website:

As a non-student, the above policy applies to you; however, they can only ask you to leave. If you were a student discovered to be carrying, you would likely be expelled.
    Well now that you have been informed of University Policy you will be trespassing as you knew that firearms where not allowed.

However they would have to prove you knew.

From my very limited non lawyer understanding of this law if you left, but where still charged and convicted it would be a summary offense and would not impact any of your rights.

But you never know with the whole character clause when renewing your LTCF what the local Sheriff will deem as inappropriate.

Seeing as your friend lives off campus you would have to go onto campus property for university policy to be in effect. Just being in the area of the campus on public roads and sidewalks would not be an issue as I understand it.
    Last edited by QuackXP; March 30th, 2012 at 04:34 PM.

(Lawrence County)

As A current Penn State Student and LTCF holder, I can not carry on campus out of fear of expulsion, but I can that if you do a good job concealing that you should have no trouble. To my knowledge there are no metal detectors any where on campus and if you are going to any PSU event this weekend security is rather light for the most part. I don't blame you for not wanting to leave your weapon in your vehicle.

The funny thing is that some of Penn State property (about 2-3 miles off campus) is open to the public for hunting. So their firearms laws are a little contradictory in my eyes. I hate how a state affiliated school chooses to not recognize state laws and individual's 2nd amendment rights.

(Lancaster County)

Don't conceal by wearing a hoodie....

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by A Mac View Post
    Recently joined and exploring the forum, I'm wondering if we can expect something similar to what happened in Colorado where the state supreme court said the public universities can't make "policies" that conflict with the laws of the state. Seeing as all of PSU is located on a land grate, so public state property, I don't see why this couldn't happen here.
    Actually Penn State is a state related university and yes it is the land grant institution of Pennsylvania. But the land is not state property. Only the 14 schools that make up the Pa. State System of Higher Education are owned by the Commonwealth and are "State Property". A Colorado type ruling would only apply to those 14 schools.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by A Mac View Post
    Well... we already HAVE that law. It was added into § 6109 last year:

(m.3) Construction.--Nothing in this section shall be
    construed to:
    (2) Authorize any Commonwealth agency to regulate the
    possession of firearms in any manner inconsistent with the
    provisions of this title.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna 19547 View Post
    Actually Penn State is a state related university and yes it is the land grant institution of Pennsylvania. But the land is not state property. Only the 14 schools that make up the Pa. State System of Higher Education are owned by the Commonwealth and are "State Property". A Colorado type ruling would only apply to those 14 schools.
    The 14 PASSHE schools are undoubtedly either collectively or separately, agencies of the Commonwealth. The 4 "State-Related" schools in the Commonwealth System of Higher Education (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...gher_Education) aren't as cut and dried... but there might be a successful argument that they are, in fact, agencies of the Commonwealth - depends on what other examples one can find.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPM View Post
    Don't conceal by wearing a hoodie....
    Too soon man. Too soon.
    Last edited by JonEMTP; March 31st, 2012 at 04:41 AM.