Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Newbie gun owner, need some advice!

As a first time handgun owner, should I start out with a revolver or a pistol? I do plan on owning both eventually, can ammo usually be interchanged between them? And does it matter if the gun or ammo is USA made or made in China, is that something to look out for? The guns will be used mostly for home defense and target practice. Thanks for any advice!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Newbie gun owner, need some advice!

AS a newbie you came to the right place , lots of reading to be done on here , lots of info here.

Very few autos were made for revolver ammo, so the answer is generally no, but more revolvers have been made for auto ammo.

Yes as a newbie i think you should start out with a nice .38 or or .38/357 magnum revolver, being that its for home defense and range use , i would suggest a 3 inch or 4 inch gun, after that you can move up to a auto that has a MANUAL SAFETY , then up to a auto that has no manual safety if you wish.

How much do plan to spend? We can make some suggestions based on that , also you family setting and lifestyle will have a lot to do with it, for example will your wife be using the gun too? that makes a big difference as her hand might be different from yours, do you have small children? that makes a big difference too, i generally do not recommend revolvers for people with small children, .
    So let us know.

Nyman

I agree with everything that mrnyman said above.

However, for a first revolver, get a heavier-framed revolver. Something like a Ruger GP100, not some airweight thing. Recoil is a tad rough with those.

And .22's are rarely a bad place to start. They aren't as effective as a defensive weapon, but are better than nothing. But for that, you can shoot all afternoon for a fraction of the cost of any other caliber, with less recoil.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jokusfocus View Post

And .22's are rarely a bad place to start. They aren't as effective as a defensive weapon, but are better than nothing. But for that, you can shoot all afternoon for a fraction of the cost of any other caliber, with less recoil.
    Amen to that. I wish somebody would have said that to me when I bought my first gun. While a .22 isn't a great SD or HD weapon it is the best thing to train on for a number of reasons. The noise and recoil from a .22 is minimal, it will keep you from developing a flinch, it will help you shoot more accurately, and it will teach you gun safety. The best part is you can shoot .22 ammo all day for a couple bucks. Tonight I bought 500 rounds of .22 for $19.99. I also bought 50 rounds of .32 while I was there. 50 rounds of .32 cost me $20.99.

My problem is that I love to shoot, plain and simple. If the only pistol you have is a defensive centerfire pistol and you enjoy shooting it you'll need a second job to pay for ammo.

I shoot my carry/defensive pistols a lot, and it costs me a lot. I took my girlfriend to the range to other day and we shot a bunch of .32, .38, and .357. On our way home I was thinking and I leaned over to her and said "Shit... we just shot like $150 worth of ammo." THATS ENOUGH TO BUY ANOTHER GUN! (A cheap one).

Think about your motivation. Do you need a defensive pistol? I advocate carry, and you should, but not until you have proper training. If you just want a gun thats fun to shoot get a .22. You won't regret it.

Finally, GET SOME INSTRUCTION! All the reading in the world doesn't compare to real instruction.

Good luck, and welcome to PAFOA. We're happy to help any way we can.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    If you just want a gun that's fun to shoot get a .22. You won't regret it.
    Another vote for the .22. I started a year ago (yeah, I'm a "late bloomer") with a .357 Magnum, then a 9 mm, and just picked up a Browning Buckmark last week. I did it backwards. The .22 is good for learning safety and trigger control and is just a lot of fun to shoot. Also for introducing someone new to shooting. BTW, I chose the Buckmark because the grip angle is closest to my M&P carry gun and the grip feels good. The other contender was the Ruger 22/45, but the skinny grip doesn't work well with my long, bony fingers. The 22/45 RP would probably work well for me but they're brand new and tough to come across. I love shooting the bigger guns, but the .22s are just plain fun (and more accurate, by the way).

(Allegheny County)

Get what you want to shoot. Get what you are excited to haul to the range, put rounds down range with and practice with. As an example, I am not a revolver guy. The only one I own was purchased so I have one for teaching pistol classes. I like the mechanics of an auto, all the parts and pieces that work together to make it happen, etc. If my first pistol were a revolver, I think I would have lost interest long ago or bought an auto immediately after that first revolver.

Do your homework, read a lot, try to shoot guns that friends own, try to understand as much as you can and make an educated decision.

(Philadelphia County)

Do a bit of research, shoot both, and decide. Train with what you get. I think you can learn to handle any system well, it's just a matter of practice. Each platform has its pros and cons.

A .22 is a great suggestion as it will allow you to learn fundamental skills at a much lower ammo cost. If you go to a revolver, you'll need to buy a .22 version. With autos, there are many more single-action .22 pistols than double-action, so the similarity will be reduced if you have a DA pistol (still, shooting anything is still good for developing fundamentals). With some centerfire autos, you have the option of buying a .22 conversion slide so you can shoot .22 out of the same pistol. This is a bit cheaper than buying a separate gun.

(Westmoreland County)

Hugazobie
    You have come to a good place for info, and all of the above is valid. But like cars, Motorcycles and other preferences, You need to get your hands on a couple to know what best fits your needs. There are many members in your area. That I know would not turn you down on a day of shooting, If you offer to split the price of some Ammo. There are also ranges in your area that rent handguns, I tell people go to a gunshow. Get the feel of as many as possible. You will find one that just feels right.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hugazombie View Post
    As a first time handgun owner, should I start out with a revolver or a pistol? I do plan on owning both eventually, can ammo usually be interchanged between them? And does it matter if the gun or ammo is USA made or made in China, is that something to look out for? The guns will be used mostly for home defense and target practice. Thanks for any advice!
    Maybe start out with a nice American made .22 revolver. best to learn on, inexpensive, will serve you a lifte time! Ruger, Colt, S&W - ALL GOOD!

(Berks County)

While I heartily agree that .22 is a great way to start, I'm going to mix it up by saying that a .22 auto is a lot more enjoyable. I had a Ruger Single Six .22, and while it was a great revolver, and very accurate, it was BORING to shoot. I'd recommend a Ruger Mark II or a Beretta NEOS .22 auto. They're almost as accurate, but ten times more fun, than a .22 revolver will ever be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast