Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Classes?

(Allegheny County)

Default CCW Classes?

I'm new to the area and about to get my CCW but I'm a little bummed I cant find any CCW specific classes around here. I saw a few handgun 101's but I doubt they cover much of CCW law. Any ideas?

(Erie County)

Default Re: CCW Classes?

Well for starters, in Pennsylvania we don't have CCW permits. In PA it is called a License To Carry Firearms, or LTCF for short. We are also not required to take classes to get them either, as PA is a Shall issue state, unless you live in the Communist City of Philadelphia. Just find you local County Court House, head to the Sheriffs Office, fill out the application, pay the $25-$26 fee in cash, and within 45 days you will recieve you LTCF, or a denial letter. It typically only takes about 10 business days though, usually. Good luck, and Carry on.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabnock View Post
    I'm new to the area and about to get my CCW but I'm a little bummed I cant find any CCW specific classes around here. I saw a few handgun 101's but I doubt they cover much of CCW law. Any ideas?
    what exactly do you need to know? the laws concerning concealed carry? you can do that here well enough? or were you looking for a training course, at a range somewhere? plenty of ranges in PA offer shooting instruction.

as far as the laws in PA are concerned, it's pretty simple, as far as where and when you can carry concealed, or openly. getting your license is simple, as well, though some issuing authorities try and make it difficult.

(Allegheny County)

Less when I can and cant carry, more when I can and cant defend myself. I'm from Florida and the laws there are a bit different from here. (In Florida I don't have to retreat.) I just don't want to end up in jail over defending myself. I was hoping for something more like Gunlawyer's class but closer to my area.

(Erie County)

http://www.lethalweaponstraining.com/

www.gemcitygunclub.org

I can't personally recommend either, I've done my lessons with a private instructor, but I'd start here.

I've also found the gentlemen at Edinboro Outdoors to be a great place to shop and very friendly--they might be able to give you some suggestions as well.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabnock View Post
    Less when I can and cant carry, more when I can and cant defend myself. I'm from Florida and the laws there are a bit different from here. (In Florida I don't have to retreat.) I just don't want to end up in jail over defending myself. I was hoping for something more like Gunlawyer's class but closer to my area.
    the statutes that cover those situations are somewhere on this site, as well. we have no Stand Your Ground or Castle Doctrine here, yet. basically, if you're out and about, you have a duty to retreat if possible; if you can't physically extricate yourself from a dangerous situation, and you're in reasonably fear for your life, then you may use force if necessary. you may also intervene if you are witnessing an attempted rape, kidnapping, or homicide. just make sure you ALWAYS have a cell phone.

in the home, i think there's a bit more leeway. i'm not clear on the statutes, though, but i'm pretty sure that when you're home, or in your established place of business, you have no duty to retreat. you're just not allowed to shoot someone for stealing your TV. now, if they try and beat you up for your TV, i think you're justified. just remember that this isn't TX; apparently, you're allowed to shoot someone who's unarmed in the back for stealing your neighbor's TV down there.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    we have no Stand Your Ground or Castle Doctrine here, yet.
    yes we do ... and its 20 $ and no wait ...just a form and picture ...
    MY KIDS ARE MY REASON

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&W40 View Post
    Did you notice this thread is a few years old?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&W40 View Post
    aside from the post being old as hell, some counties HAVE a waiting period and SOME sharge more although they are not supposed to... READ the thread, and PLEASE make note of the DATE in the upper left corner of the posts... That said, welcome to the site...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    aside from the post being old as hell, some counties HAVE a waiting period and SOME sharge more although they are not supposed to... READ the thread, and PLEASE make note of the DATE in the upper left corner of the posts... That said, welcome to the site...
    Who is still charging more than $20?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast