Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1911 with ambidextrous safety?

So I have been looking for a 1911 with an ambidextrous safety, and well they are few and far between. Don't really want a kimber I feel like I am paying for the name :-/... I like the Sig Blackwater edition but it is no longer in production :-/. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Default Re: 1911 with ambidextrous safety?

Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    So I have been looking for a 1911 with an ambidextrous safety, and well they are few and far between. Don't really want a kimber I feel like I am paying for the name :-/... I like the Sig Blackwater edition but it is no longer in production :-/. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    And a whole shitload of quality gun!

This may be true but my Sig p229 is a whole lot of quality gun and it was much cheaper

If you already have a 1911, have one installed. You might need to change the grip on that side. If your buying a new 1911 see if the gun store may recommend a gunsmith that will install one for you.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    If you already have a 1911, have one installed. You might need to change the grip on that side. If your buying a new 1911 see if the gun store may recommend a gunsmith that will install one for you.
    probably the best advice yet. why buy a wholoe new gun? just upgrade yours. if you don't have a 1911, you can buy one, and upgrade it yourself. you don't like Novak sights? buy a set of Heinie sights. you don't like mil-spec hammers? get a spurless hammer. don't like steel triggers? get a ventilated aluminum one. that's the beauty of the 1911.

if you don't have a 1911, here's my advice: buy a plain jane 1911 from Rock Island Armory, and upgrade any parts you wish. you'll spend less money than buying one with all the bells and whistles included. or, if you prefer, you can buy a Taurus PT1911; it comes with ambi safety, Heinie sights, extended beavertail safety, and a bunch of other features, for under $700. i've had mine for over a year, put over 3,000 rounds through it, and it's been flawless.

I've never been to the ambi-safety store.... don't feel the need for one. I think they're kinda like shiney wheels on a 77 Dodge Omni, look cool but serve no real purpose

Taurus and Rock Island come with them I think, shouldn't be to hard to find one somewhere
    Last edited by tdyoung58; March 22nd, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

dremel, hand file and patience..

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    I've never been to the ambi-safety store.... don't feel the need for one. I think they're kinda like shiney wheels on a 77 Dodge Omni, look cool but serve no real purpose

Taurus and Rock Island come with them I think, shouldn't be to hard to find one somewhere
    agreed, i'm removing mine, and replacing it with a plain jane safety, no ambi, no extended nothing.

(Monroe County)

Check out the Taurus PT 1911 series, comes fully loaded from the factory including ambi safety which specify, i paid $600 for mine including night sights.

Forged frame , slide and Barrel, excellent gun ispite of the critics.

Here is PICTURE OF MINE

http://img11.imageshack.us/i/sig229m...tefavouri.jpg/

How much are you looking to spend? You get what you pay for in the 1911 world no matter how hard some people try to pretend thats not the case.

I think youre right with wanting to avoid kimber, while they are decent guns that can be made to run they are still low end 1911's for mid range prices. I'd probably avoid the sig aswell, they are a bit much for what you get, and reliability is nothing like it is with standard sigs.

I'd check out Springfield, and STI(all their guns arent 1500+ dont worry)they have some of the best low end, and mid range 1911's out right now if you ask me. A TRP is one of the best mid range deals out and it would be your new best friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast