Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Want to buy a pistol. Advice?

Folks,

I am new to the forum and would greatly appreciate any advice. I would like to purchase a handgun for self defense. I plan on getting a conceal and carry permit as well. Never fired a hand gun though I have fired rifles. Recommendations? Type of handgun, size, make etc. I am pretty new to this and there is so much information out there.

Thanks!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Want to buy a pistol. Advice?

Go to targetmaster or french creek outfitter, and rent a stack of them. Shoot all the "big ones" - Glock 17, Springfield XD, Beretta 92, etc. And see what "works for you" - a lot of it is ergonomics.

If you haven't shot before, sign up for a class or instructor time to teach you the basics of handling the pistol.

Are you considering two pistols? a full sized home defense pistol with a light, and a smaller carry pistol? If you're doing that, it may affect what the "full size" pistol is.

(Schuylkill County)

Like MTechnik said, try to find some to shoot first before buying one. Find some friends or other family members with different handguns and see how you like them. Also, you have to think, do you want an automatic or a revolver?
    III%

(Franklin County)

Also, looked around on here ofr people in your area. Many are more than willing to let you try their handguns and offer what knowledge they have.

If your thinking about making another thread entitled "What is the best pistol for me?" May I suggest thinking about a few of the questions Mtechnik has asked you.

There are alot of us here who are more than welcome to help. And there are quite a few will do nothing but chastize you for repetive questions that we've already heard.

Welcome to the fourm and your journey into gun ownership. There is quite a wealth of knowledge base here so be sure to read around.

Welcome to the forum! By the way its called a License To Carry Firearms in Pennsylvania, Read about it here:
    http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi...oncealed-carry

FIRST Sign up for safety training with an instructor, or learn from an experienced friend or relative that owns firearms. A good basic set of safety rules are found here: http://www.pafoa.org/safety Most shooting ranges offer safety training, some even offer it free when you purchase your first firearm from them along with range time.
    Each firearm is different, but they all have one thing in common, if they are improperly handled or you are not paying attention, someone can get seriously hurt or even killed. Always Treat every weapon as if it is loaded and do not point it at anything that you do not wish to destroy. There is a concept of trigger discipline, you don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    THEN go to the rent a gun counter. Personally I would start off with renting a .22 handgun to get the feel of shooting and developing shooting safety skills, I started as a teenager with an air pistol in .22. After developing a comfort with handling a firearm, move up in caliber to something with a little more energy, like a .380, then up to a 9mm and so on. If your so inclined they even offer high powered handguns in magnum calibers.
    Find one that you feel comfortable with, like" is it easy for me to operate the safety, or release the magazine". Some like revolvers, everyone who shoots will tell you that their handgun is the perfect one, and it is, for them. You are a different person and what you find in a fire arm will be different from what I like. But remember, if your going to carry a weapon for self defense, you need one that will be reliable. That does not mean "Expensive" it means one that goes kaboom when you pull the trigger every time.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Again go and try some different pistols. I started out on my dads M9 service pistol and I hated it doesn't fit my hand well way too big to carry. I went shooting rented some guns and fell in love with sigs and how they fit in my hand (and the quality). I would say go somewhere shoot a Beretta, Sig Sauer, Springfield XD, Glock, and Maybe an H&K. Another thing to consider is caliber. If you can not afford to go out and practice and become proficient with a more expensive caliber it does you no good, yeah there is more knock down power but what good is it if you cant hit anything :P

Quote Originally Posted by steelerjim21 View Post
    Folks,

I am new to the forum and would greatly appreciate any advice. I would like to purchase a handgun for self defense. I plan on getting a conceal and carry permit as well. Never fired a hand gun though I have fired rifles. Recommendations? Type of handgun, size, make etc. I am pretty new to this and there is so much information out there.

Thanks!
    Welcome to PAFOA, like already said, find a range that rents guns to try them and see what works for you. Not everyone will like the same as anyone else. I'd try to stick with something in either a 9mm or .45acp caliber wise. Other than that it's really a personal preference. What feels best to you in your hand isn't probably the same as what does to me.

I normally carry a Sig 1911 GSR C3, Love it. It's lighter and smaller than a full size 1911, conceals well and looks nice as well in a leather holster if I choose to OC.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

above all, shoot some pistols and buy one you like, and can afford to shoot!

i have strong opinions about caliber choices, but if you can't afford to shoot the pistol and can't hit your target, your preference of ammunition is irrelevant.

right now, 40S&W and 9mm are the most readily available calibers. i would start there for no better reason than that.

(Blair County)

I think the Sig P229 in .40 is the most perfect cc/self defense pistol that ever was. Not cheap, but seems to fit everyone and it isnt too heavy, too big, or too plastic.
    Last edited by Edg; March 22nd, 2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spell check

(Cumberland County)

I just posted this on another thread with almost the same question. I heavily advocate carrying a firearm, and carrying one of sufficient caliber. This post is just a bit of advice for a first time pistol buyer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jokusfocus

"And .22's are rarely a bad place to start. They aren't as effective as a defensive weapon, but are better than nothing. But for that, you can shoot all afternoon for a fraction of the cost of any other caliber, with less recoil."

Amen to that. I wish somebody would have said that to me when I bought my first gun. While a .22 isn't a great SD or HD weapon it is the best thing to train on for a number of reasons. The noise and recoil from a .22 is minimal, it will keep you from developing a flinch, it will help you shoot more accurately, and it will teach you gun safety. The best part is you can shoot .22 ammo all day for a couple bucks. Tonight I bought 500 rounds of .22 for $19.99. I also bought 50 rounds of .32 while I was there. 50 rounds of .32 cost me $20.99.

My problem is that I love to shoot, plain and simple. If the only pistol you have is a defensive centerfire pistol and you enjoy shooting it you'll need a second job to pay for ammo.

I shoot my carry/defensive pistols a lot, and it costs me a lot. I took my girlfriend to the range to other day and we shot a bunch of .32, .38, and .357. On our way home I was thinking and I leaned over to her and said "Shit... we just shot like $150 worth of ammo." THAT'S ENOUGH TO BUY ANOTHER GUN! (A cheap one).

Think about your motivation. Do you need a defensive pistol? I advocate carry, and you should, but not until you have proper training. If you just want a gun thats fun to shoot get a .22. You won't regret it.

Finally, GET SOME INSTRUCTION! All the reading in the world doesn't compare to real instruction.

Good luck, and welcome to PAFOA. We're happy to help any way we can.

I guess what I'm saying is that you need to examine your motivation. Do you need a self defense pistol? If you think you do by all means get one. I highly recommend it! But if you're not gonna carry it, and you wanna shoot it all the time, get a .22!
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast