Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Ammo Interchangibility

In any scenario would ammo interchangibility determine any of your firearms? I get the whole AK/AR arguement. But as far as I can tell neither have reasonable handguns in those calibers. AR pistols are not exactly sensible. Albeit same mags as your rifle is helpful. I really got to thinking about how nice of a short-range (25-200 meters) and secondary system (0-25 meters) a FN PS90 and Five-seveN would be. Any thoughts?
    If only ammo was cheap. Wait. I reload. Darn .22 lr.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Ammo Interchangibility

loys of rifles that take common handgun ammo, like lever actions and carbines. i've been debating getting either a Hi Point 9mm carbine, or a lever action in .357/.38 Special.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by f14tcat691 View Post
    In any scenario would ammo interchangibility determine any of your firearms? I get the whole AK/AR arguement. But as far as I can tell neither have reasonable handguns in those calibers. AR pistols are not exactly sensible. Albeit same mags as your rifle is helpful. I really got to thinking about how nice of a short-range (25-200 meters) and secondary system (0-25 meters) a FN PS90 and Five-seveN would be. Any thoughts?
    I think it depends. Cowboy logistics (like Jah described above) make a huge bit of common sense if you plan on "Lone Ranger"-ing it. The only downside is that very few modern style weapons come in common pistol/rifle calibers that are effective at longer-than-handgun ranges. The .357Magnum is one of the only examples that really does both well, although I'm sure others can be argued with much validity.

If my goal for this scenario is to outfit a small group, then certain interchangeability is useful, mainly that of common calibers and magazine usage. However, with groups, cowboy logistics becomes less of a factor because ammunition can be re-distributed as needed, unlike the loner scenario.

My only personal issue with ammunition interchangeability ala cowboy logistics style is the questionable value of carrying a weapon that is neither as maneuverable and concealable as a handgun, nor as powerful and effective as a rifle.
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orion0317 View Post
    I think it depends. Cowboy logistics (like Jah described above) make a huge bit of common sense if you plan on "Lone Ranger"-ing it. The only downside is that very few modern style weapons come in common pistol/rifle calibers that are effective at longer-than-handgun ranges. The .357Magnum is one of the only examples that really does both well, although I'm sure others can be argued with much validity.

If my goal for this scenario is to outfit a small group, then certain interchangeability is useful, mainly that of common calibers and magazine usage. However, with groups, cowboy logistics becomes less of a factor because ammunition can be re-distributed as needed, unlike the loner scenario.

My only personal issue with ammunition interchangeability ala cowboy logistics style is the questionable value of carrying a weapon that is neither as maneuverable and concealable as a handgun, nor as powerful and effective as a rifle.
    What do you consider handgun range? I think I would shoot a rifle more accurately than a pistol at anything over about 10 yards.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    What do you consider handgun range? I think I would shoot a rifle more accurately than a pistol at anything over about 10 yards.
    Generally, I'd say anywhere from 20-25 yards, depending upon caliber. Rifles are easier to shoot due to a more ergonomic and stable firing position, but I question the benefit of a 9mm fired out of a 16" barrel at 100yards. As I said, a .357magnum opens up the range a good bit, but could still leave much to be desired.

The other view is that a loner would be avoiding gunfights and the like as much as possible, so the need for a longer-range weapon is most likely moot.

Well I'm talking about what one thinks of when one says rifle or pistol. I mean I've watched my dad hit groundhogs at 400 yards with a Thompson Contender in pistol form with a barrel in .22 hornet. In a group setting I could see where being able to toss somebody a mag and them be able to put it in the gun and go is a plus. Yet in the loner scenario pulling a round out of your pistol and slipping in your rifle is perfectly okay. So far I've seen the PS90 & Five-seveN and .357 Magnum revolvers & lever actions, any more out there? Anything in 9mm that is a carbine that uses the same mag as some form of pistol?
    If only ammo was cheap. Wait. I reload. Darn .22 lr.

(Montgomery County)

[snip] So far I've seen the PS90 & Five-seveN and .357 Magnum revolvers & lever actions, any more out there? Anything in 9mm that is a carbine that uses the same mag as some form of pistol?
    9mm: Ruger PC9 Carbine and Ruger P89/93/94/95 Pistols
    9mm/.40: Keltec Sub2000 and Glock or Sig or Baretta 92 pistols depending on configuration

.44 Spc/Mag: Multiple Lever guns, Ruger .44 Carbines (I'm sure others) and tons of revolvers - No mags in this case
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orion0317 View Post
    Generally, I'd say anywhere from 20-25 yards, depending upon caliber. Rifles are easier to shoot due to a more ergonomic and stable firing position, but I question the benefit of a 9mm fired out of a 16" barrel at 100yards. As I said, a .357magnum opens up the range a good bit, but could still leave much to be desired.

The other view is that a loner would be avoiding gunfights and the like as much as possible, so the need for a longer-range weapon is most likely moot.
    Granted, the trajectory is not as good as a .357 carbine. According to Speer, a 9mm at 100 yards is still packing more energy than a .38 special at the muzzle.

I'm just running off the numbers I have, I might be totally off base here. I just wonder where people get the idea that the 9mm is no use outside of close range.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Granted, the trajectory is not as good as a .357 carbine. According to Speer, a 9mm at 100 yards is still packing more energy than a .38 special at the muzzle.

I'm just running off the numbers I have, I might be totally off base here. I just wonder where people get the idea that the 9mm is no use outside of close range.
    I'm not saying that it isn't of use. The 9mm is an extremely acceptable round, however if I am carrying a sidearm and a rifle of the same caliber, I would be more interested in something with a little more versatility. That's all. I'm not attempting to disparage the round...hell, I don't to be shot with one at any range. I just see other, more beneficial round's for that set-up existing, although I would not feel undergunned if I was only able to have a 9mm pistol/carbine system. I'd work with what I had.

(Montgomery County)

Anything in 9mm that is a carbine that uses the same mag as some form of pistol?
    You can get a rifle upper for a Glock. It uses the Glock frame. I think they're available for 1911s as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast