Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Tioga Hunting Preserve

Anybody have any experiences good or bad with Tioga Hunting Preserve? I was thinking about doing a wild boar hunt for my Bachelor party and this seems like the only option for less than 10 hours of driving.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Tioga Hunting Preserve

I have been there before. It was ok. The place is fenced in and they do direct the pigs to you.

Went with about 8 people each using different hunting guns. Pistols, rifle, crossbow, bow, and one guy used a spear.

The club house is nice, lunch was great. People are nice. The hunting, ehhh. Was exciting, but was not the same as going into the "wild".

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info, most of the people coming are not very experienced hunters/shooters so it sounds like if anything this might be better for them than going into the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawn 4Life View Post
    Thanks for the info, most of the people coming are not very experienced hunters/shooters so it sounds like if anything this might be better for them than going into the wild.
    Just came back from there yesterday.

Good food & accommodations & great staff.

Good variety of animals for the taking and the prices are very reasonable.

A bow, handgun, rifle or a head of lettuce & a baseball bat will get you your animal.

If you don't want to work hard & still come home with a horned or tusked BSing fodder trophy & some meat Tiogas the place for you.

In $ per pound of meat it's probably cheaper than hunting the animal for real.

If you get skunked at Tioga it's about time to make an appointment for an autopsy.
    Last edited by pricedo; October 14th, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
    CCW Permits: UT, PA, NH, ME Life Member: NRA, GOA

(Butler County)

Never been there but was on a boar hunt in ohio 20 years ago and It is a great time. Saw a guy shoot one that was sleeping after his bro shot 9 times and hit one 6 times with his 44. That was quite the day- GO FOR IT!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    Never been there but was on a boar hunt in ohio 20 years ago and It is a great time. Saw a guy shoot one that was sleeping after his bro shot 9 times and hit one 6 times with his 44. That was quite the day- GO FOR IT!
    One well placed down hill (80 yards) shot with a Ruger M77 All-Weather (with a Timney trigger) in .300 Win. Mag. (topped by a Leupold 3-9x40mm scope) pushing a 180 grain Core-Lokt bullet did it.

That dirt cheap Remy Core-Lokt ammo is deadly on pigs & you can afford to practice all week & still not spend $50.

I went there a few years ago with my father. We had talked about going boar hunting and found out about the place online. It was a fun father/son trip, and was also my first time hunting. The food they serve while you are there is great, and the people there were pleasant and helpful the entire time we were there.

Like others said, the place is fenced in and getting an animal is a guarantee, but that can be both a good and a bad thing. For us it was a far drive, so I'd rather it be too easy than end up going home empty handed, and I think for a Bachelor party it's a definite positive. Hunting boar there the guides know exactly where and when the boar will be, and they also had a guy on an ATV going around looking for them and pushing them your way if needed.

The boar travel in packs (which I think they do in the wild as well, but I may be wrong), so the hardest part of shooting them is picking which one you want to take home. I planned on having the head mounted, so I shot the one with the interesting markings/color and not the largest. The reserve has a ton of other animals you should look into as well, though the prices can go pretty crazy with the larger and more exotic animals.

Another good thing about the reserve is that they don't care what you hunt with, as long as you kill the animal in a certain number of shots. That means guns that might not be legal to hunt with normally in PA are fair game there, though this may have changed since I was there. Overall the Tioga Reserve is different from your traditional hunting experience, but for a bachelor party where you're looking to have a good time out with friends, shoot some stuff, and take some meat home it's a really good bang for you buck (much pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    I went there a few years ago with my father. We had talked about going boar hunting and found out about the place online. It was a fun father/son trip, and was also my first time hunting. The food they serve while you are there is great, and the people there were pleasant and helpful the entire time we were there.

Like others said, the place is fenced in and getting an animal is a guarantee, but that can be both a good and a bad thing. For us it was a far drive, so I'd rather it be too easy than end up going home empty handed, and I think for a Bachelor party it's a definite positive. Hunting boar there the guides know exactly where and when the boar will be, and they also had a guy on an ATV going around looking for them and pushing them your way if needed.

The boar travel in packs (which I think they do in the wild as well, but I may be wrong), so the hardest part of shooting them is picking which one you want to take home. I planned on having the head mounted, so I shot the one with the interesting markings/color and not the largest. The reserve has a ton of other animals you should look into as well, though the prices can go pretty crazy with the larger and more exotic animals.

Another good thing about the reserve is that they don't care what you hunt with, as long as you kill the animal in a certain number of shots. That means guns that might not be legal to hunt with normally in PA are fair game there, though this may have changed since I was there. Overall the Tioga Reserve is different from your traditional hunting experience, but for a bachelor party where you're looking to have a good time out with friends, shoot some stuff, and take some meat home it's a really good bang for you buck (much pun intended).
    I stay on a couple of days extra after the animal is down R & R'n to get a heapin helpin of the excellent wild game dishes they serve at the ranch.

As my old joints get creakier & squeakier my appreciation for the fair chase credo becomes less & less & a hard hunt pushing through the swamps & the alders or freezing my family jewels to ice cubes in a tree stand loses its romantic appeal.

At least the pigs I hunt on the ranch have a slightly better chance of survival than the ones I meet pre-wrapped in Schneiders packages in the fresh meats section of the supermarket.
    Last edited by pricedo; November 12th, 2010 at 11:43 PM.

(Montgomery County)

That place is a friggin' joke. I went there with a couple of buddies a few years ago and after I killed a pig, I felt totally guilty for pulling the trigger in a "zoo". The only reason I took the shot was because I had already paid my non-refundable $500. I will never go on a hunt that is fenced in again. This place is for soft office dwellers who don't want to put the time in the woods and hunt for real. Tioga Hunting Preserve should be called The Tioga Zoo. The meat sucks too!

(Clearfield County)

Talking about a joke! You are! They have great staff, lodging, and have good meat! If you actually read about them then you would known that the area is fenced in! Be a little more courteous the next time you say something about someones lively hood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast