Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Which would you choose

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • More advanced rifle with somewhat better cartridge

6 28.57%
  • Less advanced rifle with cheaper ammo (3:1 ration cost wise of the more advanced gun's ammo)

15 71.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Better (technology wise) rifle system vs working rifle system (with cheaper ammo)

If you had to pick between two rifles, I'm leaving them nameless at the moment...and don't try to guess...let's leave it at opinions on the specific question, where one rifle had some features you found more pleasing but ammo was more expensive vs a rifle that certainly works but ammo was (more or less) inexpensive at the cost of the previously mentioned features which would you choose?

The main purpose would be having a rifle in case things went bad. I'm set for home and carry.

edit: ("ration" is supposed to be "ratio" in the poll)
    Last edited by Kaos; March 22nd, 2010 at 10:15 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Better (technology wise) rifle system vs working rifle system (with cheaper ammo)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    The main purpose would be having a rifle in case things went bad. I'm set for home and carry.
    So buy 3 times the ammo.

ETA: Since you are being coy, it makes the voting a little vague. I'm operating under the assumption that the two platforms are of similar effectiveness.
    Last edited by -JD-; March 22nd, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Better (technology wise) rifle system vs working rifle system (with cheaper ammo)

I guess it would depend on what kind of "bad" went down. If things really went south, I would prefer the more advanced rifle, assuming you could still get ammo readily. If it was just for more of a "cover fire" type weapon, and not really need for vast accuracy, go with the less advanced with cheaper ammo.

It is very vague... it's hard to say. But remember, you get what you pay for, so just keep that in mind.

(the suspense is killing me )
    III%

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    So buy 3 times the ammo.

ETA: Since you are being coy, it makes the voting a little vague. I'm operating under the assumption that the two platforms are of similar effectiveness.
    eh, they dont have to be similar...

let's say you could go with (for example) the Scar (in 7.62) vs the AR in 5.56
    The scar is a technologically "better" rifle, and ammo compared on the two is at about a 3:1 cost ratio
    Same thing could be said on an AR style vs AK style rifle (maybe in 5.45)
    You could use the same in other areas though - like 50bmg vs .308

Just wanted to get an idea of what people thought/prioritized

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    eh, they dont have to be similar...

let's say you could go with (for example) the Scar (in 7.62) vs the AR in 5.56
    The scar is a technologically "better" rifle, and ammo compared on the two is at about a 3:1 cost ratio
    Same thing could be said on an AR style vs AK style rifle (maybe in 5.45)
    You could use the same in other areas though - like 50bmg vs .308

Just wanted to get an idea of what people thought/prioritized
    When you get to truly apples to oranges comparisons, price of consumables is only one of of many seriously important variables.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Chester County)

It all depends on what 3:1 cost is for ammo. If you're taking $15/shot vs. $.45/shot, I'd take the $.45/shot. If you're talking $.45/shot vs. $1.35/shot, I'll take the $.45/shot

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    It all depends on what 3:1 cost is for ammo. If you're taking $15/shot vs. $.45/shot, I'd take the $.45/shot. If you're talking $.45/shot vs. $1.35/shot, I'll take the $.45/shot
    .8 vs .25

(Allegheny County)

Do you intend to practice much? Without knowing more specifics I would lean towards cheaper ammo (assuming it is still an effective cartridge) Cheaper ammo means you can practice a lot more, which is important since it doesn't matter how advanced a rifle is if you can't use it effectively. Also less expensive ammo would be easier to stockpile.

(York County)

I wouldn't mind spending .25 for a rifle cartridge so I voted better rifle and ammo. If you have to leave your stronghold you will most likely not be taking the 5,000 rounds you stocked up on with you. I always like to keep just a case, maybe a case and a half, on hand.

Now if it was .32 vs 1.00 per round or more I would start favoring the cheaper ammo. The actual price plays a big role, for me anyway, not so much the ratio.

(Allegheny County)

My budget dictates that I do not own 6.5 Grendel rifles and piston AR's - bull pup DMR's, and fancy pants polymer battle rifles.

I don't own anything in .308 for a reason. Feeding it.

I have DI 5.56 AR's
    a few 7.62 AK's
    9mm pistols...

I live the most common - cheap but effective - weapon mantra. I have to get the most out of what I can afford so everything has to fill a role. No "just because" weapons get bought here.

I'll cover all the bases first then maybe some day down the road I can get some frivolous ones.

The 5.45 upper for the AR is the right choice BTW. Best of both worlds!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast