Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Where to shoot in Mountain Top??

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    [...] And.....I forget the exact wording, but you can only shoot at the in place target areas. Bringing something to place closer is considered a no-no. [...]
    Yeah, I kinda figured that this was part of the "rules", though I never looked for that one (most other cases, I researched the heck out of what few rules there are).

However, here in Lackawanna (Archibald), on the "Pistol" range, there are no "points", per se; only roughly built "tables" (if you can call them that - not the 'table/benches' you'd expect to find at a range, but 2"x2"s and plywood) courtesy of local SGL regulars (*not* provided by the SGL). There used to be 7 yard, 14 yard and 25 yard markings - they are long gone too. So, wherever the "line" that people are shooting from "is" when you get there is, um... 25 yards! Yeah, that's it.

Heck, sometimes 25 yards feels a lot more like 18, or maybe even 17, yards. Also, as long as the range isn't "packed solid", no one says a word (including the incessant "rule quoters") if shooters want to "move up the line" for an inexperienced shooter.
    Last edited by Bruce; March 23rd, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Lackawanna County)

...and, no, shooting in the woods is not legal. plenty of folks do it, though. i used to, until i joined the forum and found out i wasn't supposed to. i used to go to two spots, one off of route 507, right outside of Gouldsboro, and a place in Hamlin, past Miller's Road. a lot of people shoot at those spots; they're treated like unofficial SGL ranges, but with beer and weed, and some campfires.

(Luzerne County)

The area off to the right of 309 heading up the mountain is owned by the Earth Conservancy. Farther up, there is Game Lands. On the left is a small piece of Game Lands and above the Baby Road, I think it is posted. Both places are frowned upon for target shooting. People may do it.....but you run the risk of being cited.

(Luzerne County)

Wilkes-Barre R&P offers Conventional Pistol, IDPA, steel shoots, High power,
    Small Bore, Air Pistol and Turkey shoots ect..

Dave C.
    When the odds are 50-50, I'm wrong five out of eight times.

(Lackawanna County)

Not in Mountain Top, but - it's driving distance (well, sort of).

I am t r y i n g to wait patiently while Chris at Advanced Arms in Pittston gets his indoor range up and going... If I look at the pics of the equipment/stuff that he's (evidently) got just sitting somewhere that are on his site one more time - there might be actual tears rolling down my cheeks.

I think it's just a matter of finding an adequate location at this point (not sure, just assuming). So, if (my assumption is correct, and) *anyone* has a place (I'm guessing in, or very near, Pittston) for him to set this stuff up: PLEASE contact him. Or, at least, hound him about just getting this thing done already. ...Maybe if more people annoy him about it - it will light a fire under his butt!
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C. View Post
    Wilkes-Barre R&P offers Conventional Pistol, IDPA, steel shoots, High power,
    Small Bore, Air Pistol and Turkey shoots ect..

Dave C.
    Hi all,

I grew up in Mountain Top but since 2 years ago have been living in Northern Virginia due to employment. I'm visiting my folks in Mt. Top next week and am thinking about bringing up my Steyr AUG to shoot with a friend. He has a ~30 or something acre property, but instead of possibly bothering his neighbors by firing off rounds in his backyard, I was wondering if it'd be a better idea to visit this range. I read that it was private, so would anybody be able to let me know what the prerequisites are for shooting on this range?

Thanks in advance!

(Luzerne County)

I think you have to be a member to use that range.

Your best best is to head up to the Game Commission Range on Suscon Road above Dupont. Just remember you must abide by their rules.

(Luzerne County)

I know, I know. Suscon range is 10 minuters away but no pistol range. We went out to the SGL off Rt. 118 last wee and the access road was closed, a waste of an hour and a half round trip. Since we retired and moved here about 7 years ago, we've been looking even under rocks for a good range to practice defensive shooting. We're waiting for Chris at Advanced Arms, too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12