Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Lock's Gun Shop in Philadelphia

I went to Lock's Gun Shop for the first time on Friday. I have to say, it was a pleasurable experience. All of the people working there were nice and informative.

It is towards the city from my home. I usually frequent other shops outside the city for various reasons. I am not used to heading in that direction to make purchases. What brought me to the store was a friend of my wife's, her husband, started working there. He has known the owners for years.

I inquired about gun stock finishing and this began a lengthy discussion without hesitation. My buddy was not there at the time I was asking and browsing. Even the atmosphere of the place was pleasant. General discussions were about guns, gun rights etc.

All in all they seemed to have a nice selection, and the prices of firearms seemed reasonable. (While there looked at Glock Gen 4, interesting) My other other concern would be the city taxes versus the taxes in other areas. But if the shop is that good it may be worth the extra money.

I will feel out the situations with future purchases.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Lock's Gun Shop in Philadelphia

Lock's can be hit or miss sometimes. I purchased a tatical light for my Tarus 1911 there, i forget what make/model but i got home, put it on...and no go, it didn't work. I took it back and they proceeded to try and get it to work, they couldn't so they offered to replace it with another one they had, same make/model. Out of 6...6 !!! tatical lights not a SINGLE one worked...lmAo i couldn't believe it, have NO clue why but they did refund me in full and apologized which was cool. They can be a bit on the pricey side tho but overall customer service..out of 1-10...i would say 5 b/c sometimes they can be kind of a bit rude, then again maybe b/c i'm only 26 they think i'm young and dumb, who knows. I will say Tanner's is GREAT to buy guns, and Classic Pistol's customer service is stellar, just there range and membership prices are rediculous !!
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Philadelphia County)

I have to agree with the previous post. If you're under 30 or so, they can be short with you. I don't think I'd call it rude per se, I'd say more along the lines of dismissive. I guess they get a lot of the neighborhood whiskey tangos in there that just like to look at and hold the guns, pretending to be gangsters and wasting their time. If they get a sense that you're not going to buy something right then and there, they will become indifferent to you quickly. On the flipside, I bought a Sig P220 and a Remington 870 there. Good price on the Sig, the shotgun could've been a little cheaper. But the service was good, questions were answered, and I left happy.

(Montgomery County)

I was there the other day and they were very helpful. I'm looking at a ruger sr9 for the wife and they proceeded to show me the ruger as well as a few comparable models in the same price range which was a lot of fun.

I'm going to have them install the night sights on my kimber this week so ill let everyone know how that works out.

I had an great experience with locks. I was there a few weeks back and the owner really took care of me. want sights install and the clerk said 4 weeks, the owner looked at it and said it'll be done in a few hrs. i also picked up so bullets and primer.

(Montgomery County)

Well, I took my Kimber in to get some sights installed. The clerk told me 3 weeks, but I asked if he could do better than that. He checked with the smith and told me a couple of days.

The next day the gun was ready at opening. I couldn't have been more pleased. When I picked it up they let me know that if the sights were off in any way all I had to do was bring it back in.

Took it to the range, and it was dead on.

Each time I have been in the shop I have dealt with a different employee, and each time they have been more than happy to follow me around the store and let me handle multiple weapons without getting frustrated or pushy.

I would definitely recommend checking these guys out.

(Philadelphia County)

Oh WOW, where do I even begin. I'll start with the good. They did have a decent selection & the price, while not stellar, was at the time low enough for what I was looking for. They were very friendly & more than happy to let me look at any weapon I asked after. Their customer service was great . . . at first. While this is not the part where I cover the bad, it is where I do go into the STUPID!
    I was trying to decide between a gen 2 with night sights for $500 OTD or a gen 3 for $540. I make mention of wanting to go with the Gen 3 to mount a light & the floodgates opened, here are a few gems that spewed from a couple of the counter people.
    "Mounting a light on a gun is the stupidest thing ever, I was SWAT for 31 years and I never let my guys mount one on their guns either."
    "You don't see the SAS with lights on their guns do you?" Well, guess it's a good thing I'm not SAS.*
    "You don't want a light on your gun cause you need to switch sides depending which side you're entering a doorway on" Yeah, cause juggling a gun AND a flashlight is so much easier *
    "Oh you don't want a light on your gun, cause when bad guys shoot at it they'll kill you"
    Then with all three GCGs goin full retard lookin like Clyde (minus Clint) demonstrating how it's a 'bad idea' I knew saying anything to the contrary was gonna be an exercise in futility.
    Then Mr "I was SWAT for 31 years" claims that the other problem was that in shoot houses guys were always accidentally shooting things (and each other ) when they used their weapon lights.
    OK you were SWAT for over 3 decades and in all that time no one ever figured out to keep their finger off the trigger? Really? and now you expect me to just bask in all your glorious wisdom when the basics of merely HOLDING a gun elude you? Wonderful, now just STFU & give me what I ask for.
    I finally told them "That's wonderful, I don't care. I'm here to buy a gun, that's IT"*
    Final verdict, they have a decent selection of firearms (not huge as they are more into antiques), their prices are good as is their customer service. But anyone who goes to them for advice or recommendations improves their odds of winning a Darwin Award significantly because these guys are straight up RETARDS when it comes to real world use & applications (yes Mr "SWAT for 31 years" I mean you too).

* Denotes my actual responses.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Philadelphia County)

Lock's has always been hit or miss for me. I guess it depends on who you get or how often you stop in. I stopped going in there a couple years ago, but I know a few people who swear by them and love the place.
    I must say that the gunsmith does great work and is very reasonable on price.

If in the market for a Glock, Delia's on Torresdale is the place to go. He's a Glock factory distributor and always has a few in the case. Tanners in Bucks County is always great on customer service, price and all around selection.

(Philadelphia County)

Delia's, I hadn't heard of them. I will have to keep them & Tanners in mind next time I go shopping. Thanks.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Philadelphia County)

I go to Locks quite often. I used to go to Delia's but they were always dismisive of me and didn't budge on prices. The only nice part of Delia's was one of the Gun Coutner Guys, Jack if I remember his name correctly. Now a days I would only go to Delia if Locks doesn't have a Glock I want, To buy a NIB Glock, or maybe see Jack.

Back to Locks, there not in the best of neighborhoods they could be in worse but could be in better. I've seen complete idiots come in there. A guy who came in and asked "I need some nine bullets and a clip" which the owner replied "what kind of nine millimeter and what kind of magazine?" which spawned "I don't know. He just told me a box of nine bullets and a clip". Also a guy came in and asked "I droped off my handgun for repairs and I'm here to pick it up" owner replied "What kind of handgun?" guy says "It's a nine" owner "what kind of nine? S&W, Glcok, Tauruas? Do you know the serial number?" guy said "No, I have the reciept at the crib. I'll be back". Also a guy was handed an AK clone looked it up and down started pointing it around the shop while his friend excitedly said "that the joint right there". Also how a guy saw a semi-auto only verison of a machine pistol and said "You can own those?!?!" and at first thought it was an illegal gun. So I can see why they would be short tempered.

That being said, I fall under the "under 30" catefory. I'm 21 now but have been going to locks since I was 18. I bought atleast eight guns from them, and a lot of ammunition and supplies. I have always been treated with respect there. The owner even let me go down in the basemet and behind the counter a few times to look at guns. I love Locks, most of the employees, and the owners.

One of the employees there Mark a shorter guy little on heavier side with glasses is great. Either him or John is who I try to get to help me. They really try to make sure everyone is satisfied when they leave. Plus Mark will try to cut me a deal and John has given me a break on older gun prices, and given me free stuff once in a while like an older recoil pad when I bought a gun with out a pad, and some military lube, and old shooters bibles that were burnt [but that might have been mark who gave me them can't remember]. Either way I always feel welcomed when I stop in there.

Let me say what I mean by "most of the employees". One GCG there probably "Mr. 31 year SWAT vet" is rude and short. He holds a conversation okay. But is a bit rude and very unknowledgable. He claims you have to be 21 to buy .22 ammunition. He has talked everyone there into that. I had to go to Johnstons in Bucks County or to Wal-Mart out side of the city to buy .22 when I was 18-20 for my .22 rifle. When I told him I bough .22 ammo at Wal-Mart in Bucks County and Deleware county. I just showed them my ID and was asked if it was for a rifle or handgun. I said rifle and was sold the ammo no problem. He went into a frenzy and said they shouldn't have sold you that! It's illegal. blah, blah, blah, I pretty much got the "I was a cop so I KNOW what the law is" routine. He also says inapropreate stories from his PD days like how when he was a detective his partner got out of the van and started smacking "f*gs" in the ass with a baton telling them "beat it f*gs" when they harrased them. I have never seen him do much there but stand behind the counter with has arms crossed, bosting a "holier than thow" attitude with a big .45 Glock parked on his hip for all to see. Which I get a kick out of. He was asked on time about concealed carry and said "you need a permit from the police for that" Even tough we all know it's a License To Carry Firearms good for the whole state. Information with him also varries from what the law actually is. LE personal are the only people who can OC in Philadelphia not even if you have a "permit which is only good for concealed carry".

Another time I over heard a call. This was a different clerk, Mark. It was about open carry. Mark said everything by the book. How outside a city of first class [Philly] you don't need a LTCF to OC as long as your not in a vehicle. He also recomended not to try it in lower Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, or Deleware counties. Up State would be fine. The process of getting a LTCF and such. A great answer that took a few minutes over the phone.

So in my opinion Locks is the best gun shop in the city. If you can avoid the neighbor hood want a bee thugs, trailer trash, and idiots. Aviod Mr. SWAT/Detective/Tactical Expert , handle your self right you should be fine.
    Last edited by RebelRaider5; December 4th, 2011 at 06:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast