Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Close call last night

Quote Originally Posted by cadence2arms View Post

Did he look like this.

Sorry had to do it.
    literally just LOLOLOLOL'ed.

2nd....Dude you way over-reacted on that. You saw 2 people arguing in front of you at a red light...and you grab a gun!? I live in the heart of philadelphia and see stuff like this almost on a daily basis, in fact, i hear gun shots from my house almost on a weekly basis and im still not this paranoid.

you werent in any danger, nor are you able to tell that the person in front of you was in life threatening danger that needed a gun. You gotta be a little more leveled headed about when to pull that thing out.

Usually the phrase is: better safe than sorry. but when it comes to pulling a gun, you better be damn sure of the situation when it comes out. You might be a lil too quick on the draw im thinking.

3rd. A gun in the glove box/car isnt that uncommon, i dunno why everyone is upset about that. I kinda think it would be smart to carry a gun in the glove box aside from the one in my IWB. If anyone ever says its easy to draw from a right hand IWB while buckled in while driving a low to the ground car...they are lying. It some cases glove box would be def easier i think. (im 6'2 or 6'3 so im smashed in my lil coupe, dif body sizes may differ)

(Lancaster County)

Were your car doors locked? They should have been. Guns are not your only means of defense. I would, however, have double checked to assure my doors were locked and then waited.

You said you were 25 feet behind him. I would have stayed there until car in front moved, then gone thru intersection. I might have blown red light depending on situation, but would hope I could time things so I had green.

(Lancaster County)

The potential draw from the car is what made me move my iwb rig from 4 oclock to about the 12:30 position. As some of you have hinted after some of my other posts "I apparently have no balls" so it really doesnt get in the way of anything there. I have also seen a few pics of people who mount a holster in their car. Just xfer the gun to belt at destination.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    The potential draw from the car is what made me move my iwb rig from 4 oclock to about the 12:30 position. As some of you have hinted after some of my other posts "I apparently have no balls" so it really doesnt get in the way of anything there. I have also seen a few pics of people who mount a holster in their car. Just xfer the gun to belt at destination.
    to be honest, I'd much rather have a dedicated car gun than be pulling my gun out every time I enter or exit my vehicle.

What do I think?

You overreacted BIG TIME to something that had nothing to do with you, had no direct effect on you nor placed you or your GF's life in danger!

A bum (or whatever) opening the door of someone else's vehicle is no more a reason to draw a weapon than the man in the moon!

Secondly a gun in the 'glove box' that has nothing in the chamber is about as worthless as * you know * if a situation ever comes up where you do need it.

Get a holster, learn to use it and learn to carry one in the chamber and take some time to really think about what warrants pulling out a weapon cause bud that wasn't the time. Granted you didn't pull and aim BUT you were fumbling around in a car (I assume in the dark) with your adrenaline pumping and something VERY ugly could have happened.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    What do I think?

You overreacted BIG TIME to something that had nothing to do with you, had no direct effect on you nor placed you or your GF's life in danger!

A bum (or whatever) opening the door of someone else's vehicle is no more a reason to draw a weapon than the man in the moon!

Secondly a gun in the 'glove box' that has nothing in the chamber is about as worthless as * you know * if a situation ever comes up where you do need it.

Get a holster, learn to use it and learn to carry one in the chamber and take some time to really think about what warrants pulling out a weapon cause bud that wasn't the time. Granted you didn't pull and aim BUT you were fumbling around in a car (I assume in the dark) with your adrenaline pumping and something VERY ugly could have happened.
    ^^^^
    This..

I would say that this is a very valuable learning experience! Take the information that is being presented to you to heart. I can assure you that nobody is being rude or abrasive, but there is very very valuable advice to be obtained in these responses. Best of luck!
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Helter View Post
    to be honest, I'd much rather have a dedicated car gun than be pulling my gun out every time I enter or exit my vehicle.
    I have thought of dedicated car gun. If I did have dedicated car gun it would be in addition to one on my person in case I had to bail out of the car quickly. I believe, this is what you have in mind.

However, I hate to leave a loaded gun unattended in the vehicle.

One option I have considered is removing my BUG and putting it in car mounted holster and put BUG back on my person when I get out of the car. Fact BUG is a second gun would mean I would not be without my primary, if I bailed quickly. But still have problem of moving BUG around.

Interested in the reaction of others to having dedicated car gun and leaving it loaded and unattended. Also what is your choice for gun in the car - revolver or semi auto and if latter type of semi auto action?

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

I've followed this one with interest. I see a couple of problems:

Leaving a gun, any gun, (even a BUG) in your car is a problem, I think. If you were to have an accident and were removed from the car unconscious, who would then take posession of that gun? Some cop looking for your registration or insurance card? One of the EMT's? Some "helpful unidentified soul at the scene"? The tow-truck driver? Someone at the body shop or junkyard? You would have no control of who or when. IMHO, not a good thing. If you just GOTTA have a secondary, better it be on your person. Why would you want it beyond reach?

Second, if you are going to have a gun, any gun, available, better it be on your person, where you can access it without undue contortions in the car, without possibly sweeping anyone else. Why, again, would you want it beyond reach?

I guess, maybe, my point is if you have a gun, it should be where YOU can control it, either primary or BUG. Safety. Security. Ability to present it if need arises. You won't have to obtain it and activate it in advance, in preparation for an "iffy" situation.

Peace of mind.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Wayne County)

I think you way over reacted. I think the proper response would be lock your door. Move your car away from the potential threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Leaving a gun, any gun, (even a BUG) in your car is a problem, I think. If you were to have an accident and were removed from the car unconscious, who would then take posession of that gun? Some cop looking for your registration or insurance card? One of the EMT's? Some "helpful unidentified soul at the scene"? The tow-truck driver? Someone at the body shop or junkyard? You would have no control of who or when. IMHO, not a good thing. If you just GOTTA have a secondary, better it be on your person. Why would you want it beyond reach?
    Rep for common sense!

This point is also one of my BIGGEST bitches in the world (especially when someone says "wouldn't you prefer to leave that in your car?" um, HELL NO!

A car HAS to be one of the most unsecured places in the world, most half assed crooks can be into it within seconds. As far as I'm concerned you leave a gun in a car and it gets stolen YOU should be responsible ... just bad bad bad bad BAD in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Second, if you are going to have a gun, any gun, available, better it be on your person, where you can access it without undue contortions in the car, without possibly sweeping anyone else. Why, again, would you want it beyond reach?

I guess, maybe, my point is if you have a gun, it should be where YOU can control it, either primary or BUG. Safety. Security. Ability to present it if need arises. You won't have to obtain it and activate it in advance, in preparation for an "iffy" situation.
    Again, can't agree more .... there is nothing like the control of a gun in a holster ... no muss no fuss and no screwing around with a weapon in a moving (or non moving) vehicle. If and when you really do need it you sure as hell aren't going to have to time to get it out of the glove box, center console or anywhere else, much less have the time to rack the slide.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast