Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Basic Tactical Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    G4F:

I have a couple single mag open top pouch options I'd be glad to lend you for the course, I only live about 15 minutes from the club so it wouldn't be any trouble for me to swing by either way.

Tony - I'm still game for helping with set up/tear down pasting etc if you need it as well.

"Kaos" -- please IM me with your real name, so I have some idea who you are.

Whoever you are, thanks for being willing to pitch in. We appreciate it.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Our personal opinions relating to the practicality of contemporary load carriage systems for civilian use has nothing to do with whether or not they are suitable for use in our courses. That they adequately fulfill the role of carrying magazines is not in dispute.
    Let me clarify something.

Most modern load carriage systems manufactured by reputable gear makers (Eagle, DBT, TAG, HSGI, etc.) are of very high quality and function very well for their intended application ..... that of carrying magazines, armor and other gear.

What I was implying regarding "the practicality of contemporary load carriage systems for civilian use" is as it relates to the likelihood of civilians actually ever using such load carriage systems in a lethal threat encounter.

It doesn't mean they aren't suitable for training classes. However, they may be unnecessary (overkill) depending on the course.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for all the feedback!!!!

Kaos, thanks for the offer to try some single pouches.

Sorry for making this a discussion thread - but I think all the info provided so far only helps someone understand what the class is all about.

I'll probably just bring my chest rig then.

Just to be clear, I shoot every so often in a practical rifle course. I'm not even close to being a know it all. I’m just a fat 40 something novice that enjoys shooting. I plan to attend this class as a blank piece of paper and take in everything you offer.

The only reason I brought up belt pouches is because I have read that you guys didn't think much of them for the average civilian. Plus, the course outline suggested a weak side belt pouch. So, I wanted to see what you guys liked. I wasn’t trying to suggest that anything was wrong with your thinking on chest rigs. A chest rig has worked for me so far when “playing” but they are a little warm when it gets hot outside. So, I thought about buying a belt pouch just to see.

Anyhow, thanks again.

(Allegheny County)

Sorry for making this a discussion thread - but I think all the info provided so far only helps someone understand what the class is all about.

Why? Is there some rule against discussing the course here?

I never know what's going on with these boards.

(Allegheny County)

The only reason I brought up belt pouches is because I have read that you guys didn't think much of them for the average civilian. Plus, the course outline suggested a weak side belt pouch. So, I wanted to see what you guys liked. I wasn’t trying to suggest that anything was wrong with your thinking on chest rigs. A chest rig has worked for me so far when “playing” but they are a little warm when it gets hot outside. So, I thought about buying a belt pouch just to see.

I would have both handy. There must be a reason 90% of the people who come with LBV's decide to ditch them before the second day.

I haven't done a poll, but I think the reason is that they become engrossed with the use of the rifle, and find the weight and heat of the vest to be a distraction. (Maybe that would be a good topic for a discussion thread: "why did you lose the vest?")

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post

Why? Is there some rule against discussing the course here?

I never know what's going on with these boards.
    Nothing wrong with it, some people get nutty if it goes even somewhat slightly OT though.

(Westmoreland County)

As of 04/15/10, four openings remain in this class.

(Montgomery County)

Okay, it's me again.

If the class doesn't fill up will it get canceled?

In my confirmation letter, it states that we will be "released" at 6pm on Sunday. I assume this is an error and it should be 6pm Monday?

Is there any cover at the range? As in shady areas for breaks and lunch and that sort or is it all open. I've never been to this range and i'm not sure what to expect.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Okay, it's me again.

If the class doesn't fill up will it get canceled?

In my confirmation letter, it states that we will be "released" at 6pm on Sunday. I assume this is an error and it should be 6pm Monday?

Is there any cover at the range? As in shady areas for breaks and lunch and that sort or is it all open. I've never been to this range and i'm not sure what to expect.
    Usually a course cancells if we don't have the minimum number 30 days in advance of the course date. This is so we can let the instructors know, and they can schedule something else with their time.

Since this course is by me, I usually let it go until 2 weeks before course date. If we don't have at least 8, it will cancel.

This course does end on a Monday.

There is shade on the range. It's in different places at different times of the day.

We are planning to erect a pole-tent. I'm not sure if we will have that together by May 22, but we should.

(York County)

i know this is a bit late, but until today, i thought i woudln't be able to clear my schedule for this. now, there may be a chance i'll be free for this course.

assuming i can get my enrollment form, money, and credentials to FIRE institute by Friday (4/30), is it still possible to enroll? or is the 30-day rule set in stone?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast