Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Just one front night sight?

Has anyone ever replaced simply the front sight with a night sight instead of both?
    I really like the Sig Bar-Dot sights, but I would feel better knowing I had a night sight for low light use. Trij's are great but they're kinda hard to see during the day, and meprolights and ashleys are a bit more than I'm willing to spend. That said, meprolight sells just the #8 fronts for Sig P-Series pistols. (I have a P228- #8's front and rear.)
    Has anyone ever done this? How effective would it be at night time? Obviously I don't want to needlessly upgrade if it's a huge necessity to have both.
    I just thought I remembered hearing this before somewhere, and also sig has the XCT or whatever they're called, with the factory extended mags and night rear sight/fiber optic front sight (which doesn't glow at night IAFAIK.)
    Thanks!

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Just one front night sight?

I like a plain black rear sight with a bright front sight.It draws your eye to the front sight where it should be.

(Monroe County)

I have a Glock 26 with trijicon night sight up front but standard rear sight. When I ordered them they were seperate and the front sight came first. I put it on and went to the range. I loved it and never installed the rear sight.
    I will keep an eye on the thread myself to see if anyone can educate me on why this would be a bad idea because I like it but may not have thought out all the negatives.

(Lancaster County)

Front sight only is perfectly fine and actually prefered by some. A quick target aquisition depends on how fast you can pick up the front sight. It is the most important thing to look at when aiming. Practicing often will make you hold the gun in proper alignment so imo front sight night sight only is a fine thing.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mccula View Post
    Trij's are great but they're kinda hard to see during the day
    My Trijicons have a white circle around the center illuminated dot, so that they are easy to see during the day.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mccula View Post
    Has anyone ever replaced simply the front sight with a night sight instead of both?
    I really like the Sig Bar-Dot sights, but I would feel better knowing I had a night sight for low light use. Trij's are great but they're kinda hard to see during the day, and meprolights and ashleys are a bit more than I'm willing to spend. That said, meprolight sells just the #8 fronts for Sig P-Series pistols. (I have a P228- #8's front and rear.)
    Has anyone ever done this? How effective would it be at night time? Obviously I don't want to needlessly upgrade if it's a huge necessity to have both.
    I just thought I remembered hearing this before somewhere, and also sig has the XCT or whatever they're called, with the factory extended mags and night rear sight/fiber optic front sight (which doesn't glow at night IAFAIK.)
    Thanks!
    The SCT has a tritium/fiber optic sight which does glow at night and works like a regular fiber optic in daytime.

Heinie makes a decent site. A figure 8 type that you line up under the target. It is pricey though.

(Allegheny County)

I've been detabing this same thing myself. CZ has a two-dot fiber optic rear which requires a 5.5mm height front sight and they list a night sight that will work for the front (for a CZ P-07 Duty). I'll probably try out this combination.
    FNX-9 Two-tone