Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Allegheny Nat'l Forest

Hi all,

First post! I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere...

I'm reasonably certain OC is legal in allegheny nat'l forest. is target shooting outside of formal rifle ranges allowed? I'd like to be able to pack up, sling a rifle on my back for God and the world to see, head out to the forest for a couple days, and finds a nice little secluded nook to do some target shooting in, but I don't want to run afoul of any rules or regulations. I know that I can't fire within 150 yards of a dwelling or across any roads, etc...

thanks for the help!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Allegheny Nat'l Forest

Quote Originally Posted by vws3 View Post
    Hi all,

First post! I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere...

I'm reasonably certain OC is legal in allegheny nat'l forest. is target shooting outside of formal rifle ranges allowed? I'd like to be able to pack up, sling a rifle on my back for God and the world to see, head out to the forest for a couple days, and finds a nice little secluded nook to do some target shooting in, but I don't want to run afoul of any rules or regulations. I know that I can't fire within 150 yards of a dwelling or across any roads, etc...

thanks for the help!
    My husband and I camp there all the time, and both carry there, often openly. Have even done so in front of a park ranger.

Target shooting, AFAIK you need to make sure you use an appropriate backstop and use a firearm you would normally hunt with (aka my brother having target shot in those woods with his 22 LR is allowed, me playing with my Glock isn't). Let me see if I can find it... Yup!

"Except as provided on established shooting ranges, discharge any
    firearm, bow and arrow or device capable of launching projectiles
    that is not a lawful device to hunt game or wildlife. Shoot clay birds
    anywhere except areas designated by the Executive Director by signs
    stating that clay bird shooting is permitted."

That is from the state game book, page 11.

--Krystal

(Venango County)

First, I want to thank Krystal for helping out.

But, we should always provide a link to any cite of law or news story so we can verify the complete law, if we desire, without having everyone hit google. This is a good example, as the section copied and pasted does not complete a sentence nor an independent clause so it does not really answer the question or prove the premise. We need the link in this case. Plus it is nice that, having looked it up already, we give it for others to use as well.

Next, we should be careful as the post implies rifle = ok, handgun = not ok. Actually, most Pa. citizens who know about hunting in Pa. know that semi-autos = not ok for hunting. Therefore, semi-auto rifles are not ok, pistols are not ok, but revolvers might be. Just being a little more specific. I do not hunt so I am not aware of all of the ins and outs myself. I just wanted to offer some help concerning the importance of posting links. (Links are the symbol showing the world and a chain link in the Edit window.)
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

What Krystal posted, only applies to SGL's........

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    What Krystal posted, only applies to SGL's........
    Ah, yes, good catch Fingers!

But near there is also a state park, Cook's Forest, IIRC. I used to ride my motorcycle up around those parts in the summer. Nice four hour ride.

So there is a co-location problem as I think they are right beside one another. I have seen camping sites that I believe were in the Allegheny Forest, but I think there are even more camps in the Cook's Forest.

Gonna have to ride up there this summer, I guess. Since Kinzua bridge collapsed, it is not as fun. The dam is great to see if they have the flood gates wide open.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Jefferson County)

Here is the USFS's rule on target shooting in the ANF.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/allegheny/recreation/

Pennsylvania Gun Laws:

To carry a concealed weapon, you must have a protection weapon permit from your county sheriff in PA. If you are from out-of state, you must have a protection permit in your state, and have a protection permit from Pennsylvania. Warren County sheriff will not issue Ohio residents a protection permit, but will issue a sportsmen’s permit that allows concealed weapons for hunting and fishing only. You may bring weapons that are not concealed (hunting rifles, shotguns, side arms). When transporting it is recommended to carry firearm and ammunition in separate areas – (i.e. Carry firearm in the trunk and ammunition in the car.) Target practice must comply with the PA. Game Commission regulations, i.e. no firing into live trees (see hunting license handbook). Target shooting is recommended at ranges set up for that purpose (sportsmen's clubs). We recommend on the ANF using stone pits with a high back wall. Contact the county sheriff for additional information.

...so, look up the Game Commissions rules and abide by them, do not shoot into trees, do not shoot randomly, only into backstops, etc, etc, etc..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!