Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Monroe county references

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Nah you're good, you don't live in Monroe :P

The big issue that most of us residents have is the when people who move here then bitch and moan because they don't like something that is in place strictly because of the number of people that moved here with them.

I've been here since 80 (when I was born), my parents moved here from Ohio in 1978 or so, Ex-Biker's been here longer I think so we've watched as this area moved from a "1 murder / decade" and you always knew who it was within a day to one a month and 1/2 are unsolved, crime rates skyrockets... and a good 95% of the issues can be traced directly to NY/NJ
    I will go along with this post. Keep in mind that the people moving in from the cities is the reason why the county has moved to the left...it was a red county and now it's a blue county in the election.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    I will go along with this post. Keep in mind that the people moving in from the cities is the reason why the county has moved to the left...it was a red county and now it's a blue county in the election.
    Its also the reason we lost all representation in the PA House. we are now a "shared" county due to the population moving in and tainting parts of the county one way or the other.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...NTYLIST=MONROE
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Come on... Nobody else in Monroe is willing to spot a reference? I'd do it for any of you...
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Monroe County)

Sorry bud, I think if I put on the card "Time known - 2 hours" it might cause issues for you and I don't know anything else about you that I'd be willing to sign my name on.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    The big issue that most of us residents have is the when people who move here then bitch and moan because they don't like something that is in place strictly because of the number of people that moved here with them.
    At some point or other, unless of course you are descended from the Lenape tribe, everyone in this county was a transplant. The difference now is that people used to move here to make a better life for themselves and their children and to join the community. Now, way too many feel that they deserve entitlements with out actually becoming a part of the community and instead of leaving their urban environment and its problems bring it with them and expect the community to change to adapt to their ways. My recollection is that the proof of residency was added to the process to address the problem that LTCs had been issues to people who did not qualify and in fact were not residents of the state much less the county, and was a practical solution to a real problem. But my perspective is probably prejudiced as I live and work here full time, pay every stinking tax that I have to, have no problem proving this, and once in a while leave my cave and socialize with people who I thank God I am not related to by blood or marriage and don't live with me. If I can do it... suck it up Buttercup.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    So, many of you know, the Monroe county sheriff is known for tagging on extra (illegal) requirements for getting a LTCF:

All the friendships I've established since moving to PA are with people who are either family (in-laws), anti-gun, or live in another county.

So, anyone in Monroe county willing to spot me a ref? I've wanted to get a LTCF since I moved, but haven't been able to.

PS: Thanks to Steve_NEPhila for suggesting that I make a thread for this... I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

EDIT: Dammit, I should have posted this in the Monroe county section. Sorry.

Call him up and challenge him like that other poster did. He got his after speaking with him. Or go down to the court house and speak in person. He will make himself available.

(Monroe County)

I THINK MANY OF YOU FOLKS HAVE MISSED THE POINT ENTIRELY.

THE LAW IS SET BY THE LEGISLATURE NOT BY EACH INDIVIDUAL SHERIFF.

THE JOB OF THE SHERIFF IS TO UPHOLD THE LAW NOT TO THROW STUMBLING BLOCKS IN THE WAY OF LAW ABIDING CITIZENS TRYING TO EXERCISE THEIR RIGHTS.

YOU CAN COMPLAIN ALL YOU WANT ABOUT OUTSIDERS MOVING HERE BUT YOU ARE ONLY SHOWING YOUR OWN NARROW MINDED PREJUDICE. WOULD YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY IF HE SAID HE WOULD NOT ISSUE PERMITS TO BLACKS, JEWS, HISPANICS, OR ANY OTHER GROUP YOU DON'T PARTICULARLY CARE FOR? IT IS THE RIGHT OF ANY AMERICAN TO MOVE FREELY TO ANY STATE HE/SHE CHOOSES.

PROOF OF RESIDENCE ACCEPTED BY ANY OTHER AGENCY OF GOVERNMENT IS YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE. NOT REFERENCES OR TAX PAPERS. REFERENCES AND TAX PAPERS ARE NOT REQUIRED UNDER THE LAW. SO THE SHERIFFS IS PLAYING GAMES AND SHOULD BE CALLED ON IT.

THE VERY FACT THAT THERE IS SOMEONE ON THIS FORUM ADVOCATING AND SOLICITING "REFERENCES" FROM PEOPLE HE DOES NOT KNOW IS BOGUS ON ITS FACE!....BUT I SUPPOSE SOME OF YOU ARE OK WITH THAT AS LONG AS HE PAYS TAXES AND DID NOT MOVE HERE FROM N.Y. OR N.J.

SEEMS HYPOCRITICAL TO ME.

FURTHERMORE, IF YOU THINK THIS SHERIFF IS DOING SUCH A GREAT JOB HOW IS IT THAT HE SEEMS TO HAVE LOST CONTROL OF THE COUNTY JAIL?

TO THE POINT OF "PUTTING YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS" AND TAKING IT TO COURT; I CALL BULLSHIT ON THAT. TAKING THE SHERIFF TO COURT SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY IF HE WERE OBEYING THE LAW AS IT IS ESTABLISHED BY THE PROPER AUTHORITY (THE LEGISLATURE). TAKING THE SHERIFF TO COURT COST MONEY AND THAT IS THE GAME HE IS PLAYING. HE IS BETTING ON THE IGNORANCE OF THE APPLICANT AND BLUFFING TO SEE IF THE APPLICANT WILL FOLD AND GO AWAY. THIS PROBLEM CAN BE HANDLED LAWFULLY BY ASSERTING YOUR RIGHTS AS PROSCRIBED UNDER THE LAWS OF THE COMMONWEALTH AT AN ADMINISTRATIVE LEVEL.

NOT VERY COMFORTING TO KNOW SO MANY RESIDENTS OF MONROE CO. ARE WILLING TO COMPROMISE THEIR RIGHTS BECAUSE THEY LIKE THIS PARTICULAR SHERIFF AND HAPPEN TO SHARE HIS PREJUDICES.

SAD THAT THE GUN COMMUNITY CAN'T SEE THIS FOR THE ERROR THAT IT IS.

AND HERE IS A QUESTION FOR THE MODERATORS OF THIS FORUM: DO YOU ADVOCATE THIS FRAUD? IT IS 2 FOLD; #1 THE FACT THAT THIS SHERIFF IS PLAYING GAMES WITH REGARD TO ISSUING LTCF. AND #2 THE FACT THAT THERE IS SOMEONE ON THIS FORUM SOLICITING REFERENCES FROM PEOPLE WHO HE CLEARLY DOES NOT KNOW, FOR THE PURPOSE OF DECEIVING THE GOOD SHERIFF INTO BELIEVING THEY HAVE LONG ESTABLISHED CONNECTIONS WITHIN MONROE COUNTY.

DO YOU SEE THE PROBLEM HERE? WHEN THE SHERIFF DOES NOT OBEY THE LAW (AS ESTABLISHED BY THE LEGISLATURE) IT CREATES AN INCENTIVE/PRECEDENT FOR OTHERS TO BEND OR BREAK THE RULES.

WHAT IF THE PERSON SEEKING FRAUDULENT REFERENCES TURNS OUT TO BE SOMEONE OF UNSAVORY CHARACTER AND CAUSES SOME PROBLEM WITH HIS GUN? WON'T THE FOOLS WHO GAVE FRAUDULENT REFERENCES BE COMPLICIT IN SOME WAY?

(Monroe County)

Well stated twoguns, couldnt have stated it any better.

Thats what happened in NAzi germany, if people are willing to tolerate a little Tyranny just to satisfy thier own prejudices, thats where the problem comes in.

Either you are for freedom and the rule of Law for all Americans or youre not-period.

Stop hiding behind vageuly hidden fasacist codes like "transients" and "people from Back east" People ffroim back east are Americans too , they are allowed to live in any of the 50 states they want to live, they do not need anyones permission , Thats Russia and China,.

Ironically , the people having problems getting LTCF's are not even people from back east , Theyre native Pennsylvanians when you really dig into it.

Wether or not we like the Sherriff is immaterial, i like Sherriff Martin i also like Mr Bentzoni the Deputy responsible for the firearms section, they are decent men but that is not the point, the point is that all citizens of Pennsylvania must obey the laws as spelled out by the the State of Pennsylvania, meaning the people of Pennsylvania.
    Last edited by mrnyman; March 20th, 2010 at 09:33 PM.

(Monroe County)

I'm pretty sure it was already stated - if you have issue with it (and yes, we ALL do) then go challenge him on it. As an elected official you have the power to say "no this is wrong" and challenge it through legal channels

Personally I don't feel its worth my time to fight, so I'm not going to.

also I'm pretty sure references and proof of residence are established under law...

the part everyone has a problem with is that the references need to live in Monroe County.

also not sure what you are suggesting with "lost control of the jail"

you will also notice he still needs a reference as only one person has offered to fill out the card

and turn off the caps lock

(Monroe County)

There is no law saying that your references need to be people you are great friends with. You can use virtually anyone as a reference. There is nothing illegal about asking for references. I do not want anyone to lie. I expect anyone who offers a reference to answer the questionnaire truthfully.

And, apparently, I wasn't clear: I have spoken to the sheriff an more than one occasion about this. He tells me I'm wrong, that he can do whatever he wants. He is rude. He yells. On one occasion, he hung up on me when I said he was in violation of state law. He tells me that if my references do not live in Monroe county, he will keep refusing to take my application. He simply will not listen to me.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast