Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pistol

(Adams County)

Default New Pistol

One of my sisters and her husband just bought a new to them pistol, and since she has a one-month-old, and he is a full-time lawyer, neither of them have time to get to the range right now. They asked me (being the family gun-nut) if there was any way to ensure that the weapon would fire without taking it to the range. I said I wasn't sure, but I would try to find out.

Disclaimer: The have EVERY intention of putting in range time as soon as they can, but until they can, they just want to know that it will fire should they need it. I have already stressed range time to them, so please don't waste time telling me they need to go to the range.
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: New Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Orion0317 View Post
    One of my sisters and her husband just bought a new to them pistol, and since she has a one-month-old, and he is a full-time lawyer, neither of them have time to get to the range right now. They asked me (being the family gun-nut) if there was any way to ensure that the weapon would fire without taking it to the range. I said I wasn't sure, but I would try to find out.

Disclaimer: The have EVERY intention of putting in range time as soon as they can, but until they can, they just want to know that it will fire should they need it. I have already stressed range time to them, so please don't waste time telling me they need to go to the range.

Why dont you take it to the range real quick like for them Just to make sure its good, or have them take it to a gunsmith to give it a once over and a test fire....

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    Why dont you take it to the range real quick like for them Just to make sure its good, or have them take it to a gunsmith to give it a once over and a test fire....
    I suggested that, but they if that's the case they will just wait and do it themselves. What can I say, my BIL is a lawyer, he wowed me with his legal-fu.

Hokkmike Guest

Maybe take an empty brass cartridge and put a tight cover of cellophane tape over the primer hole, insert it, fire it as if it were a spring loaded dummy, and see that the primer is making good contact. Without actually shooting it that would be the only way that I can see to show that it functions.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Maybe take an empty brass cartridge and put a tight cover of cellophane tape over the primer hole, insert it, fire it as if it were a spring loaded dummy, and see that the primer is making good contact. Without actually shooting it that would be the only way that I can see to show that it functions.
    That'd work. Just have to aquire empty brass. No problem.

(Montgomery County)

Yup, take it and shoot it. Shooting it is the most fool proof and thorough test. Since shooting it also tests the ammo, magazine and the user... it is the best test.

I understand that you relatives do not have much time to learn to use it. With that being the case, they should not attempt to employ it for defense. Do they understand that those little metal balls cut through drywall like no ones business, do they know how to do a malfunction drill, can they perform a reload, do they know to keep their finger off the trigger until on target??? You see where I am going.

If buy a parachute, yet I have never parachuted or received training on how to, it is not prudent for me to buy one and expect to use it later, especially if I may have to use it in an emergency. In fact, using it in an emergency or just casually can cause injury or death to myself or others. They are not doing what they should be doing.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Yup, take it and shoot it. Shooting it is the most fool proof and thorough test. Since shooting it also tests the ammo, magazine and the user... it is the best test.

I understand that you relatives do not have much time to learn to use it. With that being the case, they should not attempt to employ it for defense. Do they understand that those little metal balls cut through drywall like no ones business, do they know how to do a malfunction drill, can they perform a reload, do they know to keep their finger off the trigger until on target??? You see where I am going.

If buy a parachute, yet I have never parachuted or received training on how to, it is not prudent for me to buy one and expect to use it later, especially if I may have to use it in an emergency. In fact, using it in an emergency or just casually can cause injury or death to myself or others. They are not doing what they should be doing.
    I see where you are going, and to be honest, you have just echoed my concerns that I have already voiced to them. I've done my best to educate them, but being the "little" brother, it is hard.

Thanks for the honest answers guys.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post

^This.

When said brother-in-law attempts to put you in your place with his legal-fu, you might want to begin to counter with your own firearms-fu. He might be older, have lots of college, be a lawyer, have an ego, blah, blah, blah...

But he seems rather clueless about firearms. So... after you kick him in the nuts and slap that stupid smirk off his face you should find him a little more receptive to your vast and obvious wisdom.

Just be careful taking possession of the piece sans LTCF. IANAL, but it seems to me this is perfectly acceptable for you to do this provided you hold a LTCF. This leads me to believe it would not be legal if you do not have a LTCF.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Schuylkill County)

I see where you are going, and to be honest, you have just echoed my concerns that I have already voiced to them. I've done my best to educate them, but being the "little" brother, it is hard.

Have you tried Hitting them yet??? , just kidding......

(Lackawanna County)

your age shouldn't be a factor in this equation. the simple fact that you're an active member here, and are reasonably knowledgeable about firearms (from what i've read of your posts), pretty much trumps any legal-fu your BIL might posses, as it pertains to guns. in this case, they really should defer to you. i've found myself actively seeking the advice of people 10 or more years younger than me, because i can't be an expert in everything.

if they don't have the time to go to the range and shoot their own gun, but won't let you do it, then you might be wasting your time trying to help them. repeat to them that the only way to properly check the function of a firearm is to shoot it. it makes no snse to trust a car you're never driven before.
    Last edited by jahwarrior72; March 19th, 2010 at 01:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast