Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Pistol

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: New Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    your age shouldn't be a factor in this equation. the simple fact that you're an active member here, and are reasonably knowledgeable about firearms (from what i've read of your posts), pretty much trumos any legal-fu your BIL might posses, as it pertains to guns. in this case, they really should defer to you. i've found myself actively seeking the advice of people 10 or more years younger than me, because i can't be an expert in everything.

if they don't have the time to go to the range and shoot their own gun, but won't let you do it, then you might be wasting your time trying to help them. repeat to them that the only way to properly check the function of a firearm is to shoot it. it makes no snse to trust a car you're never driven before.

Ageed with jah. but if they are that stubborn you may just want to let it go, they wanted your help at first but when you gave a solution which by all accounts is the proper one.. Your BIL got all legal on you. dont think anything you do will help then and changing his mind might be a moot point....

(Montgomery County)

Make sure the pistol is empty empty empty, and put a pencil down the barrel, eraser first. Simulate firing towards the ceiling and if the pencil poinks out, success.

(This is also a good way for folks with a decocker to get used to the fact that using it to drop the hammer with a round chambered will not fire the gun.)

Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    Make sure the pistol is empty empty empty, and put a pencil down the barrel, eraser first. Simulate firing towards the ceiling and if the pencil poinks out, success.

(This is also a good way for folks with a decocker to get used to the fact that using it to drop the hammer with a round chambered will not fire the gun.)

It also works well for trigger and sight controll if you have a dart board!!!!

Just put a peice of paper up and stand close you will see the groups shrink as you learn trigger control.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    ^This.

When said brother-in-law attempts to put you in your place with his legal-fu, you might want to begin to counter with your own firearms-fu. He might be older, have lots of college, be a lawyer, have an ego, blah, blah, blah...

But he seems rather clueless about firearms. So... after you kick him in the nuts and slap that stupid smirk off his face you should find him a little more receptive to your vast and obvious wisdom.

Just be careful taking possession of the piece sans LTCF. IANAL, but it seems to me this is perfectly acceptable for you to do this provided you hold a LTCF. This leads me to believe it would not be legal if you do not have a LTCF.
    When I mentioned that I was the "Gun Freak" of the family, I meant that I literally am considered a freak. I've slapped the smirk off his face before, once telling him that what he advocated was not only illegal, but would land him in jail. He didn't appreciate that.

I am concerned about not having a LTCF and the legality of then taking posession of the weapon in order to function test it at the range. I would, if I did not want to jeopardize my ability to purchase firearms for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    your age shouldn't be a factor in this equation. the simple fact that you're an active member here, and are reasonably knowledgeable about firearms (from what i've read of your posts), pretty much trumps any legal-fu your BIL might posses, as it pertains to guns. in this case, they really should defer to you. i've found myself actively seeking the advice of people 10 or more years younger than me, because i can't be an expert in everything.

if they don't have the time to go to the range and shoot their own gun, but won't let you do it, then you might be wasting your time trying to help them. repeat to them that the only way to properly check the function of a firearm is to shoot it. it makes no snse to trust a car you're never driven before.
    I agree with you, sir, I think I may be wasting my time with them...sadly. They mean well, but that means jack in regard to firearms. If they were some random individual, I would have given up long ago, but since they are family...

Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    Ageed with jah. but if they are that stubborn you may just want to let it go, they wanted your help at first but when you gave a solution which by all accounts is the proper one.. Your BIL got all legal on you. dont think anything you do will help then and changing his mind might be a moot point....
    I would, but like I said above, since they are family...a little harder for me.

Thank you gentlemen, though. The feedback has been most welcome.
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

(Bucks County)

You can try a different approach, help create time for them. It wasn't long ago my wife and I had 2 smaller children and with 2 full time jobs, time was beyond valuable. Offer to either help your sister or BIL with something he needed to do around the house so that you create the time for him to go the range himself.

And continue to strongly suggest they both get proper training...

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
    You can try a different approach, help create time for them. It wasn't long ago my wife and I had 2 smaller children and with 2 full time jobs, time was beyond valuable. Offer to either help your sister or BIL with something he needed to do around the house so that you create the time for him to go the range himself.

And continue to strongly suggest they both get proper training...
    Time isn't exactly in great supply for me, as a full-time college student myself, but I already help out as much as possible, having spent the last two weekends up there working for him. I do what I can, and will continue to attempt to educate them.
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

(York County)

Maybe you could supply them with some snap-caps. Then they could dry fire it safely, and will be able to understand that a gun w/o a mag. can still go bang. It could be an alternetive to going to the range at least they will be able to safely manipulate the gun and learn what they can till they can get to the range.

Sid

ETA... It could be a good way for them to learn safety first and shooting second.
    Last edited by sid; March 19th, 2010 at 10:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12