Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Leaving round in Ruger LCP .380 at all times

At night I have quit taking the round out of the chamber of my LCP when it's put up in the bedroom closet - it was too much trouble to eject and then push back in the mag. The hammer is partially cocked in this mode but there still remains a long pull to fully cock and fire this DAO. Does anyone think even this much tension on the spring is too much to have on at all times? It is carried all day in this manner also so the spring only gets a rest when the gun is cleaned.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Leaving round in Ruger LCP .380 at all times

Quote Originally Posted by billj6 View Post
    At night I have quit taking the round out of the chamber of my LCP when it's put up in the bedroom closet - it was too much trouble to eject and then push back in the mag. The hammer is partially cocked in this mode but there still remains a long pull to fully cock and fire this DAO. Does anyone think even this much tension on the spring is too much to have on at all times? It is carried all day in this manner also so the spring only gets a rest when the gun is cleaned.
    You're fine.

By constantly unloading and reloading the same round, you could be causing it to have bullet setback, which happens when the bullet gets pushed back into the case and that will cause an increase in pressure.

I leave my carry sidearm loaded all the time.

Proud member of:

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    I leave my carry sidearm loaded all the time.
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

(York County)

Yeah, I don't see the problem with that. I never bought into all that bullshit about unloading your guns at nite, or when not being carried. I do unload my carry piece when I put it down if I'm not locking it up, that way the kiddies can't have an accident. But the weapon in the drawer for nite time HD is FULLY loaded 24/7. Whats the damned point of an unloaded gun or chamber for that matter?
    3%

(Chester County)

Keep it loaded with a round chambered. If your'e worried about kids getting to it then lock it up.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Beaver County)

Your fine. I have 3 guns that I keep loaded all the time. No worries about trigger or mag springs. Remember an empty gun is just an exspensive paper weight.

Oh and the spring will get to rest every time you practice with it at the range. You do practice right ?????
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Cambria County)

This is a post recall LCP correct ? Or one that was fixed? From my understanding there was a safety recall because there was a possibility of unitentional firing. I don't think it ever happened but I'm not sure. Just a heads up to check into if you didn't already know.

(Franklin County)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that no matter what position it is in a spring is at "rest" unless it is moving. So in theory if that is correct you could be causing more wear to whatever spring you are worried about by unloading it 1-2 times a day.
    I quizzed a former police officer about this, he claimed he kept 2 mags for his Glock loaded for weeks at a time and never experienced a ftf because of a week spring.
    I keep my ruger and spare mag loaded 24-7, havent had a problem yet.

My 2 cents fwiw.
    I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member

(Monroe County)

I would stop unloading your carry weapon as your doing more harm than good.

If it is a carry weapon it should be chambered and if it is being retired for the night in favor of larger weapon then lock it up. I keep my two carry/home defense guns in a nightstand quick access safe but their are other options.

Why you should stop unloading has three reasons (to me, others might think of more)

1) as said by Ruger 402. The compression does not wear out a spring but rather the movement. You are wearing the springs out quicker by loading and unloading. To leave it chambered causes no extra wear than if it was never loaded.

2) If your firearm is properly secured in a safe or your possesion and you are safety minded than that's as safe as can be. The more you handle a loaded gun in a routine manner such as this the more likely you are to get complacent and have an ND.

3) Always have one in the chamber or it's an expensive paperweight. Even if you carry with a loaded chamber you may forget to rechamber it before going out. You can read stories here and on other sites of people going about their day without a magazine in their weapon or rounds in their revolver. It ussually starts with "forgot to load it". Keep it loaded and always treat it as such and your better off.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonefight View Post
    This is a post recall LCP correct ? Or one that was fixed? From my understanding there was a safety recall because there was a possibility of unitentional firing. I don't think it ever happened but I'm not sure. Just a heads up to check into if you didn't already know.
    I believe the gun you are thinking about is the Ruger P85. I have one and the recall dealt with putting the gun on safe and having unintentional discharge due to a faulty decocker. Any post recall will have "MKIIR" stamped on the left side of the safety.

Only one case was ever recorded of this happening.

EDIT: There was a recall for the LCP .380 as well. It is as follows

LCP Recall

Ruger has recently received a small number of reports from the field indicating that LCP pistols can discharge when dropped onto a hard surface with a round in the chamber. We are firmly committed to safety and would like to retrofit all older LCP Pistols. The retrofit involves installation of an upgraded hammer mechanism at no charge to the customer.

All LCP pistols bearing prefix “370” (that is, serial number 370-xxxxx) may be affected. Newly manufactured and retrofitted “370” prefix LCP pistols with the new hammer mechanism installed have been marked with a diamond in the flat portion of the slot just behind and below the hammer as shown to the right. Going forward, new pistols will be marked with the serial number prefix “371” (serial number 371-xxxxx). Pistols with the “371” prefix are not affected.

http://tjofsugarland.blogspot.com/20...cp-recall.html
    Last edited by Beest21; March 20th, 2010 at 02:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast