Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
    (York County)

Default Re: Legalization Of Semis In PA For Hunting

signed. So did my brother, cousin, dad, step dad. My dad sent it to his huntin buddies.

Signed and spread it on Facebook.

(York County)

I have set up another petition on GoPetition.
    I would like if I could get many signatures.

http://www.gopetition.com/online/36423.html

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    Shoot! You can not hunt with semi's in PA? Are you sure, I am sure my new Rock River works just fine, thank you very much.

I guess my problem with the whole thing is I have a 300 acre Farm and the regulations say I can not use it on my own private property. Oh, okay, I will make a note of that.

Be safe (and next I guess they will try to tell me there is no Sunday hunting either, silly rabbits...)

Scott
    I'd like to publicly acknowledge that the infraction issued for this post has been reversed. It was pointed out that there are limited exceptions to the ban on Sunday hunting (crows and coyotes being two examples), which is what the OP was referring to.

Also, there is some question as to the actual illegality of using a semi-auto IF it has been modified so that it can only fire single shots. Staff was unable to reach a clear consensus on this issue, but based on information provided by the OP, we think it's safe to say it may be legal, and is definitely not "absolutely illegal", thus the infraction was not warranted.

I would like to thank the OP for providing good information in a respectful way to help us remedy this error.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'd like to publicly acknowledge that the infraction issued for this post has been reversed. It was pointed out that there are limited exceptions to the ban on Sunday hunting (crows and coyotes being two examples), which is what the OP was referring to.

Also, there is some question as to the actual illegality of using a semi-auto IF it has been modified so that it can only fire single shots. Staff was unable to reach a clear consensus on this issue, but based on information provided by the OP, we think it's safe to say it may be legal, and is definitely not "absolutely illegal", thus the infraction was not warranted.

I would like to thank the OP for providing good information in a respectful way to help us remedy this error.
    Thank you Greg. The entire matter has been dealt with great respect and professionalism on your part as well as Dan's. I will post the response I got from John Denchak, Chief, Wildlife Protection, PA Game Commission:

Unless the firearm is rendered mechanically as a single shot, (by the removing of certain parts) therefore being unable to operate except in a single shot mode, hunting with a semi-automatic would be illegal. Remember, our Officers are not gunsmiths, so the hunter would have the burden to prove the firearm has been rendered from semi-auto to single shot.

John Denchak, Chief
    Enforcement Division
    Bureau of Wildlife Protection

Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 2:39 PM
    To: GM, Comments
    Subject: Legal Question- Not readily answered

I have a legal question that I have heard several different answers to so hear it goes, can a semi-automatic rifle be used for hunting if the “semi” action is rendered inoperable? It has become a topic of conversation on PA Firearms Owners Assoc. (PAFOA.org). I was advised that if the rifle is made inoperable, such as removing the gas tube from an AR style rifle or the gas operated rod from an M1 Garand, it would be lawful for use as a manually operated arm. I am not talking about an easy to switch gas control but rendering the rifle truly manual by removing critical “semi” parts.

The topic came up at work today as well. Since I am a Asset Protection/Security Mgr for Wegmans Food Markets, I was voted to be the one to find out, and that has lead me to using this method. I had an individual from the Northcentral Region Office (Jersey Shore) tell me over the telephone that it was lawful. A co-worker advised me he called the same office some time back and was advised it is not legal. Any help would be great. Thank you for your time.

Scott J. Warner
    Asset Protection/Security
    Wegmans Food Markets
    201 William Street
    Williamsport, PA 17701

Again, thank you for your time in this matter. I really do believe that the Admin and Staff of this site really are concerned with accuracy, especially in regard to the Laws of the Commonwealth.

Be safe (and respectful).

Scott

(Lebanon County)

signed....great backing on this one.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122