Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Trigger is still catching with the safety fully engaged

In drilling with my P85 this afternoon I've noticed that the trigger is still catching when I squeeze it with the safety fully engaged, and the hammer is twitching when this happens. Sometimes it actually pulls the hammer all the way back, which scares the shit out of me. It doesn't happen ALL the time. It's difficult to explain, so here's a quick video to hopefully show you guys.

Before I get screamed at for dry-firing my pistol, I am under the impression here that it's ok, according to this:

Quote Originally Posted by The Ruger Website FAQ section
    Can I dry fire my Ruger P-Series and .22 pistols?
    Yes. All Ruger pistols can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!
    Anyone have any advice on what this is, or how I can fix it?
    Junior

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Trigger is still catching with the safety fully engaged

Pack it up and ship it back to Ruger along with a copy of the video.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Pack it up and ship it back to Ruger along with a copy of the video.
    Noted.

What's causing this, do you think?

And, shit, that means I am unprotected in the meantime, lol.
    Junior

(Allegheny County)

If memory serves, on guns like that, when the safety is engaged there is something that pushes down on the trigger bar to keep it from connecting to the hammer.

Guns are pretty simple machines. You can generally look at them and figure out what is moving what.

Take the slide off and see what happens on the underside when you move the safety. Pull the trigger and see what parts move. Compare the action of the trigger to the action of the safety and you'll see how one impacts the other.

As for being without a gun while yours is being fixed, buy another. Everyone needs two guns.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Noted.

What's causing this, do you think?

And, shit, that means I am unprotected in the meantime, lol.
    Now you have a reason to buy another gun.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    If memory serves, on guns like that, when the safety is engaged there is something that pushes down on the trigger bar to keep it from connecting to the hammer.
    I took a few moments and that's what seems to be happening. The little bar that the safety switch pushes down, disengaging the trigger from the hammer, can slip under the safety latch when racking the slide with the safety fully engaged.

It seems like if I carefully move the slide, the bar will stay in place and safe. Also, after just engaging the safety, the bar doesn't slip - I've tried to make it slip, but the only thing that makes it malfunction in the racking motion.

As long as I don't rack the gun while the safety is on, do you think I can safely continue to carry this for a little while, at least until I get paid again?

ETA - another close look reveals that there is also a block that keeps the hammer from contacting the firing pin when the safety is on (I knew that but wanted to make sure it was still there), so even if this minor issue causes the hammer to move, it won't cause the weapon to fire.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; March 17th, 2010 at 03:36 PM.
    Junior

(Allegheny County)

A Walther PP has a hammer block as part of the safety.

To cover my ass, I'll have to say "keep and use at your own risk."

(Delaware County)

Okay - I want to get this sent back for repair (probably just need to tighten the safety so it doesn't slide out of the way of the little bar), but I am going to hang onto it until I buy a new sidearm. I'm going to take the girlfriend up to American Arms and Ammo this weekend and see if I can find a .40 S&W or .45ACP that fits both of our hands and is reasonably priced before I send this P85 back out.

Thanks a billion for the guiding assistance. Y'all are the best.
    Junior

(Montgomery County)

Most of my handguns do not have safeties. You are correct, there is a firing pin block when the safety is dropped on your Ruger that prevents discharge. The hammer engaging is not dangerous, yet it is indicative of something mechanically wrong with that pistol.

Just as an aside, most autoloaders need the springs changed every 2-5k rounds or 2 years. Most of the springs are small and wear quickly. This is considered normal maintenance and costs very little to do or have done.

Good luck finding a .40 or .45 that both you and the woman like. If I can make a recommendation, get something that has the same trigger pull each time you use it (like a Sig DAK, M&P and the like). Do not shy away from the used section of some shops. You are near Tanners in Jamison, go check them out... they have real used gems most of the time.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Most of my handguns do not have safeties. You are correct, there is a firing pin block when the safety is dropped on your Ruger that prevents discharge. The hammer engaging is not dangerous, yet it is indicative of something mechanically wrong with that pistol.

Just as an aside, most autoloaders need the springs changed every 2-5k rounds or 2 years. Most of the springs are small and wear quickly. This is considered normal maintenance and costs very little to do or have done.

Good luck finding a .40 or .45 that both you and the woman like. If I can make a recommendation, get something that has the same trigger pull each time you use it (like a Sig DAK, M&P and the like). Do not shy away from the used section of some shops. You are near Tanners in Jamison, go check them out... they have real used gems most of the time.
    Okay, I don't like having defective stuff, so as soon as I pick up a new pistol, I will send this one back. Does this sound like a wear and tear kind of thing, or a manufacturing defect? Should I take the P85 to a local place to get an opinion first or maybe a gunsmith?

Where would I take it to get these parts replaced? I know that's a really noob question but please be easy on me, lol.

I would go to Tanners, if weren't on the complete opposite side of the fat part of the state.
    Junior

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast