Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Recourse for Carriers permit once deinied

I am currently serving in the US Navy and have tried several times to obtain my carriers permit in Carbon County to no avail. They never gave me a reason as to why i was denied but the only thing i can think of is a misdemeanor drug paraphanelia charge when i was 18, i'm now 27. Would this charge constitute a denial and if so is there any recourse i can take to get this removed or waived so i can carry in PA. Any information would be gretaly appreciated, thank you

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Recourse for Carriers permit once deinied

The drug thingy conviction is prohibiting for a LTCF.

You will need a pardon and expungement to get that cleared off your records to get a LTCF.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

They HAVE to tell you why you were denied in the response letter.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
    (g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application. If the sheriff refuses to issue a license, the sheriff shall notify the applicant in writing of the refusal and the specific reasons. The notice shall be sent by certified mail to the applicant at the address set forth in the application.

Check this section of the UFA for
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...6109/licenses/
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Lackawanna County)

i thought you couldn't serve with a drug conviction? either way, i think it's fucked that you can serve and die for your country, but can't enjoy the rights that you serve to defend. get yourself a good lawyer, and begin the expungement process. and, thank you for your service.

(Bucks County)

what is the best way to get an expungement? Must i contact my state rep or is there another way? Also, is there any truth to the rumor that after 10 years some things get removed from your record?? Jahwarrior, yes, you can still join but it did take mounds of paperwork and waivers. thank you for your support

(Montgomery County)

I would point out that expungement isn't available for a misdemeanor level offense if you pled guilty.. however, minor first time drug offenses like paraphernalia are often addressed with a Section 17 disposition which is the ARD-like disposition for drug act violations. You are never guilty or innocent and should be an automatic expungement if you complete the terms and conditions of the "probationary" sentence. If you disposed of the case with a section 17, you may be able to file the expungement petition to get things squared away.

(Lackawanna County)

On your next trip home stop by the sheriff's office in your uniform and ask him for an explanation or fill out the paperwork in person and wait for the results.

I'm a little unclear on something. You said you applied several times... how many?

And why would you keep applying after the first time you were denied without knowing exactly why and how to try and correct the problem (expungement, etc.)?

And as mentioned, the sheriff must tell you why you were denied. And there is an appeal process available.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    And there is an appeal process available.
    True, but IMO it would be a waste of time and money when someone has something (that they now know is a prohibitor) on their record. Also, filling out another application where the drug question was answered "No", would be a false statement and could be subject to separate prosecution.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i thought you couldn't serve with a drug conviction? either way, i think it's fucked that you can serve and die for your country, but can't enjoy the rights that you serve to defend. get yourself a good lawyer, and begin the expungement process. and, thank you for your service.
    WAIVERS can be administered for just about any disqualifying condition, medical or otherwise . It depends on the situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast