Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default First Real Range Day of the Year

ah! sunshine! dry earth! about goddamn time. well, time to put the 642 through its paces, and get another couple of hundred rounds through the 1911. so, my brother and i got to SGL 300 in Archbald at noon sharp. we made plans to meet up with Bruce; he arrived a bit later, with his big ass box of ammo.

he loaded a variety of .38 Special for me to try, both tharget and defensive rounds. his stuff is better than anything i've ever bought in a store; whether it was .45ACP, .357 Magnum, or .38 Special, his ammo was consistently accurate, and manageable, though hotter than i;m used to. in fact, when shooting standard factory loads, and his, i noticed that the factory loads had considerably more recoil. Bruce's ammo is WIN.

around 1PM, another friend of mine, Jennifer, arrived; she'd never shot a gun before, and wanted to try it. she needs some work on her flinch, but she didn't give up. she was finally able to hit the target using Bruce's 4" .357, with a mild load. she can't wait for the next opportunity to try shooting.

as she was leaving, Mickey01023 was arriving. he came ready for war. he definitely had it going on, with the machete strapped to his back. for the record, he's nothing like he is here. he was pretty cool, and pretty goddamn funny. best of all, he doesn't care what you think. not a fucking bit. i admire that in man. and, he's generous with the food, as well as his guns. thanks for the burger, Mickey.

my hand is throbbing right now. i kept wanting to stop, but Bruce kept pushing ammo on me. "here, try this," he'd say. so, in all, over 4 hours of shooting nonstop, except to pick up brass.

1. Ruger SP101's are effin sweet. sweeter than manticores.
    2. Mickey is gangsta.
    3. Bruce shooting akimbo is a bad idea. for Bruce's forearms.
    4. i hope i never have to use the .38's Bruce loaded for me in a self defense situation. not because of the existential agony of shooting someone, but because he loads them hot, and it hurts my itty bitty hands.
    5. Mickey is a lead farmer, muthafucka.
    6. i still can't shoot a Glock for shit.
    7. my brother can shoot the balls off a tick.

lets hear, Poofers! who else went shooting today? let's hear your stories.
    Last edited by jahwarrior72; March 16th, 2010 at 08:21 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: First Real Range Day of the Year

I wish!...I'm jealous!...congrats on the day out!

Good to hear someone enjoyed the day
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    Indeed! That man is seriously ready for the Zombie Apocalypse!

I had a lot of fun shooting with all you guys today. Both your bother and you ex seem like really cool people.

And, I have to admit mickey01023 - both of your Glocks are actually (surprisingly) pretty eff'in sweet to shoot! And that holo-site on your shotty is pretty bad-ass, I was shocked when you mentioned the price.

As for your 1911 (which is a pretty damn nice piece as well, btw), I think jah is right - it just needs some tweaking of the sights is all. Maybe the sights are loose or something? I honestly didn't notice if they were.

You got a sweet 1911 there yourself, jah.

In spite of all his belly-aching about his poor little tender hand (when I actually burned mine pretty bad - OOOPS! ), when it comes to shootin', jah is el33t! Just like me and mickey01023!

If we can scrape everyone together again in a week or two, I'd be glad to go shootin' with all of you again.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Lackawanna County)

what the hell is el33t?

(Lackawanna County)

what the hell is el33t?
    It's an old computer hacker term - basically, it means "elite" (as in: "leetspeak"; as in: those who "pwn" others).
    Added: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Lackawanna County)

i was sure it was some kind of compliment. this thread, and this day, is an answer to the "Members leaving" thread. without this place, i would have never had this day. i'm not inclined to leave it any time soon, just because of that.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

If we are into the bragging - - I was out LAST Tuesday, from 2:30 until looooooong after the sun went over the mountain. So, there! Beat ya.

But it sounds like it made your day worhtwhile.

Took the 03-A3 and the chronograph. And a couple of nines and a pair of 357's. And a Sigma in 40S&W. One old shooting-chum joined me for a couple hours and shot up all my '06 ammo. Then he left, even though there was still unshot ammo - strange. Something about one of his kids had a ball game - Oh well, the choices some people make.

I've got to get the Loadmaster bolted to the bench again - spring is coming and there will be a Franklin County range day. "Guns & Grill" and you are invited, we just don't know when, but around the first weekend of May sounds like it ought to fit.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Lehigh County)

ah! sunshine! dry earth! about goddamn time. well, time to put the 642 through its paces, and get another couple of hundred rounds through the 1911. so, my brother and i got to SGL 300 in Archbald at noon sharp. we made plans to meet up with Bruce; he arrived a bit later, with his big ass box of ammo.

he loaded a variety of .38 Special for me to try, both tharget and defensive rounds. his stuff is better than anything i've ever bought in a store; whether it was .45ACP, .357 Magnum, or .38 Special, his ammo was consistently accurate, and manageable, though hotter than i;m used to. in fact, when shooting standard factory loads, and his, i noticed that the factory loads had considerably more recoil. Bruce's ammo is WIN.

around 1PM, another friend of mine, Jennifer, arrived; she'd never shot a gun before, and wanted to try it. she needs some work on her flinch, but she didn't give up. she was finally able to hit the target using Bruce's 4" .357, with a mild load. she can't wait for the next opportunity to try shooting.

as she was leaving, Mickey01023 was arriving. he came ready for war. he definitely had it going on, with the machete strapped to his back. for the record, he's nothing like he is here. he was pretty cool, and pretty goddamn funny. best of all, he doesn't care what you think. not a fucking bit. i admire that in man. and, he's generous with the food, as well as his guns. thanks for the burger, Mickey.

my hand is throbbing right now. i kept wanting to stop, but Bruce kept pushing ammo on me. "here, try this," he'd say. so, in all, over 4 hours of shooting nonstop, except to pick up brass.

1. Ruger SP101's are effin sweet. sweeter than manticores.
    2. Mickey is gangsta.
    3. Bruce shooting akimbo is a bad idea. for Bruce's forearms.
    4. i hope i never have to use the .38's Bruce loaded for me in a self defense situation. not because of the existential agony of shooting someone, but because he loads them hot, and it hurts my itty bitty hands.
    6. i still can't shoot a Glock for shit.
    7. my brother can shoot the balls off a tick.

lets hear, Poofers! who else went shooting today? let's hear your stories.
    I am jealous... I was unarmed behind enemy lines. (In work in the PRNJ.) I ended up working in the office all day and didn't even see a gun til I got home.

Sounds like a good time, glad someone was able to get out and enjoy the day.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Monroe County)

I went out today to the new Tobyhanna range to play with the Mauser for a bit. I should have worn boots because the entire range was a mud hole. But after getting the sights dialed in, I was hitting 1 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards with 1951 yugo ammo out of the 1944 gun. Not too shabby. Today's weather looks to be even better so I might bring out the 22 and go have some fun with that at another range.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.