Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default nfa weapons paper work questions ????

I have been thinking about starting to get some nfa weapons. either a vector uzi or a ac556.
    I have been seeing the word trust mentioned allot, what are they ? Is it better to have one or can it be done without it. What is the benafit of havveing one?

Default Re: nfa weapons paper work questions ????

If you plan to live a long time, and you can get your Chief of Police or Sheriff to sign your Forms, then you probably don't need a corporation, LLC, or trust.

If you want to let several people own and use an NFA firearm, then an LLC works best in PA. If your Chief or Sheriff won't sign the Forms, that's also a good reason for an LLC.

If you want all your assets to be tied up in some sort of non-probate arrangement for the convenience of your heirs, then maybe a trust is good for you.

Under either a trust, corp, or LLC, "you" don't own the stuff anymore. The entity owns it, and you have some degree of ownership of the entity.

With any of these, you need to have a lawyer prepare the paperwork so that you can possess the registered firearms. Lots of people have done it themselves, but (much like packing your own parachute) the test is not whether you can start the process on your own, it's whether you can survive what happens later. A defective entity will NOT provide the affirmative defense that you need when you're found in possession of an NFA firearm. A motivated DA can and WILL try to find a defect if you ever end up in a justified but politically incorrect shooting; if they can't prosecute for the shooting, they'll be OK with sending you to jail for something else, like unlawful possession of a prohibited offensive weapon..
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

Default Re: nfa weapons paper work questions ????

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If you plan to live a long time, and you can get your Chief of Police or Sheriff to sign your Forms, then you probably don't need a corporation, LLC, or trust.

If you want to let several people own and use an NFA firearm, then an LLC works best in PA. If your Chief or Sheriff won't sign the Forms, that's also a good reason for an LLC.

If you want all your assets to be tied up in some sort of non-probate arrangement for the convenience of your heirs, then maybe a trust is good for you.

Under either a trust, corp, or LLC, "you" don't own the stuff anymore. The entity owns it, and you have some degree of ownership of the entity.

With any of these, you need to have a lawyer prepare the paperwork so that you can possess the registered firearms. Lots of people have done it themselves, but (much like packing your own parachute) the test is not whether you can start the process on your own, it's whether you can survive what happens later. A defective entity will NOT provide the affirmative defense that you need when you're found in possession of an NFA firearm. A motivated DA can and WILL try to find a defect if you ever end up in a justified but politically incorrect shooting; if they can't prosecute for the shooting, they'll be OK with sending you to jail for something else, like unlawful possession of a prohibited offensive weapon..
    okay that makes sense, if i start a llc for buisness reasons do i have to put the nfa weapons in the llc or can i keep them personally without involveing the llc....