Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Differences between Blue and Stainless

I searched the internet and this site and could not really find any good explanations. what are the differences? From what I have been reading it seems they both rust but stainless takes longer??? I cant really find a good clear explanation.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Differences between Blue and Stainless

Stainless steel has very little, if any iron in it. Good stainless steel doesn't attract to magnets. Its made up more of nickel and other metals. Differing mixes of which making different grades of stainless.

Blued steel is just iron based steel that has been forced to oxidize on the surface(the blued appearance). Since there is still iron present, it can rust once the blued barrier has been breached.

theres more to it all, however replying a cell-phone is a bitch to do.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by rspowers View Post
    I searched the internet and this site and could not really find any good explanations. what are the differences? From what I have been reading it seems they both rust but stainless takes longer??? I cant really find a good clear explanation.
    It boils down to a matter of personal preferences. Stainless Steel is easier to clean on average. Will take longer to rust. You almost have to force it to rust. Go in your dish sink and tell me how many stainless forks and knives you see rusting out.

Esthetics is the main reason, in the 60s they used to say Police should not wear SS because light reflecting on them made them like a spotlight to shoot at. Not true. I have yet to see a Stainless Steel gun show more then a Black gun or Blued gun. But as far as matching the uniform, most Pd wore black or blued.

For heavy duty shooting, you probably want SS as you can rub and rub and not worry about taking off the blue. If you plan one leaving it dirty, same thing, the “Dirt” caused by guns is very corrosive and enemy #1 to blued steels. Holster wear shows less on a SS. And on the plus side, SS does not look as menacing to the Sheeple out there. Don’t ask me why, but people who do not know guns, or do not like guns have a tendency to think the Black ones are more dangerous… Racists I tell you!!!

Personal preference here is SS. Apart from Rifles and Shotguns and one .22 that is Parkerized and Tupperware, they are all SS.

Some gun manufacturers will allow you to “Special order” to your liking, if this is the case on pistols try a SS Bottom with a Blued top. Or Vise Versa. Makes for nice conversation pieces
    Last edited by Frenchy; September 10th, 2007 at 09:51 AM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Stainless steel has very little, if any iron in it. Good stainless steel doesn't attract to magnets.
    Stainless steel is about 50% iron. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be steel

Stainless steel forms a layer of oxidation on it's surface when exposed, just like carbon steel. However, in stainless steel, this layer is clear and has a strong bond to the steel beneath. This layer of oxidation prevents any further oxidation from corroding the metal below. In carbon steel, the layer of oxidation is orangish/red (rust), and does not have a strong bond to the layer below. That allows the rust to flake off and oxidize more steel below.

Blued steel is a similar concept. A layer of oxidation (black or blue in this case) has a strong bond to the steel below. However, this layer can be porous, which can allow it to rust.

seems like stainless guns are heavier. A friend has a ruger single six in blue and one in stainless and the stainless one seemed to be much heavier. could be some other explanation to that though.

vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Northampton County)

Stainless steel is an iron-(low) carbon alloy with, IIRC, at least 10% Chromium added. The are around 150 different type (alloy compositions) of stainless. Other metals added for various properties are Nickel, Molybdenum, Cobalt, Manganese, and a few others. Not all stainless steels are non-magnetic. Iron, Nickel and Cobalt are all magnetic - alloys rich in these metals will be 'stainless' and magnetic. Different grades of Stainless will be affected and corroded by different agents and have differing levels of corrosion resistance.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.