Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default See where the PA Gubernatorial candidates stand

CEASEFIRE PA is throwing lots of $$ now to elect an anti-gun rights Governor of PA. It is important to know where the candidates stand and to support the ONE candidate who supports the right of the people to keep and bear arms, and that is Sam Rohrer.

www.SamRohrer.org

See where the candidates stand below:
    =====================================
    At Chamber of Commerce Debate, Gun Reform Takes Front Seat, Divides Gubernatorial Candidates
    March 8, 2010

Last week, the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce hosted Election: 2010 to hear the gubernatorial candidates' views on business-related issues affecting Pennsylvania. Even at a forum focused specifically on business, the issue of commonsense handgun safety reform arose and became an issue that divided the candidates. This is the third major debate in the race during which gun violence prevention was discussed.

The old conventional wisdom--you can't talk about guns or gun violence prevention in the Governors race--is changing.

Candidates split on granting authority to municipalities

All candidates for governor - four Democrats and two Republicans - were asked to discuss their views on reforms to prevent gun violence in Pennsylvania. While all the candidates acknowledged the problem facing Pennsylvania communities and emphasized the need for more effective law enforcement, several set themselves apart by recognizing that some municipalities face unique challenges - and need the support of the state legislature to enact local measures to reduce gun violence. PA Senator Anthony Williams, Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato and Montgomery County Commissioner Joe Hoeffel said some cities should have more power to enact stronger gun regulations than the rest of the state.

The debate showed again that gun violence is becoming an important issue in the race for Governor of Pennsylvania. It wasn't long ago that gun-related issues were considered the 'third rail' of Pennsylvania politics - never to be touched. That is clearly changing. Gun violence is a critical public health issue, and the next Governor needs to address it. Voters are eager to learn what the candidates think about these issues and how they plan to address illegal guns and gun violence, if elected.

The forum was moderated by 6abc Action News Anchor Jim Gardner. He asked the following question: "Should Philadelphia be permitted to enact its own gun laws stronger or different than the rest of PA?" These were the candidates' answers, in order of response (paraphrased):

JACK WAGNER - No

Gun violence is a big problem in Philadelphia, in Harrisburg, in other areas. I served in Vietnam and carried an assault weapon - so I know their destructive power. As President of Pittsburgh City Council, I passed an assault weapons ban for the City of Pittsburgh. It was later overridden by the federal assault weapons ban. I believe we should enforce the laws we already have on the books, and we need to be more aggressive against the people who commit crimes with guns. I do not support local laws - statewide laws are more effective."

ANTHONY WILLIAMS - Yes
    Give us the right in Philadelphia to license who carries a gun. The state took that right away. We can't wait for Harrisburg to solve our problems. In 2005, the Attorney General and the State Senate created the Gun Violence and Straw Purchase Task Force. It has been a success.

TOM CORBETT - No

Following the arguments in the United States Supreme Court last Tuesday, the Supreme Court will likely rule similar to the Heller case, and not give municipalities the right to enact their own gun laws. Good, tough law enforcement is the way to address the problem. We have had the Gun Violence Task Force in Philadelphia for four years now, working with the new Police Chief, and they're doing a great job. The Task Force is working on 1300 investigations: there have been 400 arrests and 800 guns confiscated.

JOE HOEFFEL - Yes

Philadelphia should have the ability and authority to enact stronger gun laws, and so should the 22 other PA cities and towns that have also passed local lost or stolen gun reporting laws. Their authority to do so should be supported by the state - and the state should pass its own lost or stolen handgun reporting law. The state should also pass a one gun a month law. How many guns do you need? My wife and I would feel very safe if we could buy 24 guns a year.

DAN ONORATO - Yes

I support a lost or stolen handgun reporting law. I support the local option for Philadelphia. I support child access safety locks. When Philadelphia got funding to build a Gun Violence Task Force, Allegheny County didn't. So we built our own task force, and it has been very effective. We need to work across Pennsylvania to reduce gun violence.

SAM ROHRER - No

The Second Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms for self defense. There should be no reinterpretation of it for any reason. The uniformity clause should not be questioned. If you pass these laws, Philadelphians will lose their right to defend themselves.

Earlier this month, CeaseFirePA distributed questionnaires to each candidate for governor. Results documenting each candidate's commitment to reducing gun violence in Pennsylvania will be announced soon.

Now is the time to support our work with a donation as we continue our movement across Pennsylvania. And as always, we encourage you to join us on Facebook--and encourage your friends, family and colleagues to as well--to add your thoughts to the discussion that is heating up in the race for Governor of Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,

Joe Grace
    Executive Director
    CeaseFirePA
    =========================================

Support Sam Rohrer for Governor and fight to protect your gun rights.
    www.SamRohrer.org

/Bruce Eimer

(Delaware County)

Default Re: See where the PA Gubernatorial candidates stand

Sam Rohrer is really the only good choice for PA.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Lebanon County)

Nothing against Those that are agreeing with us, but I do take ALL the candidates to task. Not one of them looked at the others and said SHAME ON YOU ALL. You are running for the highest office in the state, and are vowing to support and defend our constitution but you are trampling on Article I Section 21 as you stand here. "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned" and shame on you Mr. Moderator for VIOLATING the Constitution of the Commonwealth.

The most likely winner of the Republican primary is Tom Corbett. I know many here would prefer Sam Rohrer, but the reality is, Rohrer just simply doesn't have the publicity to win.

In the event that Corbett wins the primary, I URGE everyone here to please to all they can to see to it that some anti-gun Demotard is NOT elected. Please. We have a first-past-post system for electing a governor. Unfortunately that means a vote for a third party candidate is effectively a vote AGAINST the one candidate of the 2 majors who more closely matches your views.

There are a LOT of NJ and NY transplants who have come to Pennsylvania in the past 4 years. A LOT. A metric crapton. A vast majority of these transplants would like nothing more than to turn PA into another NJ or NYC. I have no doubt the vast majority of Pennsylvanians are pro-gun. However I worry that they may not vote in the same numbers as the anti-gunners.

So please, whoever wins the Republican primary, if the Democrat is anti-gun (I think all the Democrat candidates are), please vote for the Republican. Please. We can't afford another 4 years of Rendell style Constitutional violations on our RKBA.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    Unfortunately that means a vote for a third party candidate is effectively a vote AGAINST the one candidate of the 2 majors who more closely matches your views.
    [...]
    So please, whoever wins the Republican primary, if the Democrat is anti-gun (I think all the Democrat candidates are), please vote for the Republican. Please.
    If anyone wants to see exactly the type of attitude that has put and left us in the tyrannical mess we have now, here it is. The yin-yang tag-team of tyranny gets so much of its power from people who were swayed from voting their conscience and pushed to voting a 'lesser of two evils', where both evils happen to be two-party candidates. Then it looks to everyone else like these two parties have such a full force of power behind them when people are in fact only half-heartedly handing their votes to candidates of these parties.

If you enjoy a tyrant, or an unconstitutional incrementalist fugue, then by all means, don't vote your conscience. Don't take not only candidates but the People to task for their votes. Don't rouse their minds by supporting candidates who actually believe in liberty and forcing candidates further to the opposite to take office where we've failed...we wouldn't want anyone to fall out of complacency, helplessness, or apathy to take charge of their lives and country...

We can't afford another 4 years of Rendell style Constitutional violations on our RKBA.
    If circumstances are so dire, then maybe we should be revolving.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    The most likely winner of the Republican primary is Tom Corbett. I know many here would prefer Sam Rohrer, but the reality is, Rohrer just simply doesn't have the publicity to win.

In the event that Corbett wins the primary, I URGE everyone here to please to all they can to see to it that some anti-gun Demotard is NOT elected. Please. We have a first-past-post system for electing a governor. Unfortunately that means a vote for a third party candidate is effectively a vote AGAINST the one candidate of the 2 majors who more closely matches your views.

There are a LOT of NJ and NY transplants who have come to Pennsylvania in the past 4 years. A LOT. A metric crapton. A vast majority of these transplants would like nothing more than to turn PA into another NJ or NYC. I have no doubt the vast majority of Pennsylvanians are pro-gun. However I worry that they may not vote in the same numbers as the anti-gunners.

So please, whoever wins the Republican primary, if the Democrat is anti-gun (I think all the Democrat candidates are), please vote for the Republican. Please. We can't afford another 4 years of Rendell style Constitutional violations on our RKBA.
    just because Ron Paul won't ever likely win an election doesn't mean people shouldn't vote for him or pay attention. =) we don't need another big government neo-con or a liberal..they're both bad.

Hi Maybe someone can enlighten me, from what I read It seems like any town in pa can restrict a person that has a concealed licence at will, please correct me if I am wrong,I live in Texas where we do not have open carry but we do have concealed carry,the back ground check is performed by the dps in Austin,local towns have nothing to do with who can carry and who cannot, as of late very few people that have a concealed carry permit have had there permit revolked,so the people that have a concealed permit are not the people that any one has to worry about except someone who tries to rob you. You may or may not remember the fellow who shot two thieves with a shotgun that was robbing his neighbors house,many anti gun people weighed in and thought he al states should be brought up on murder charges, maybe so in liberal states,but not here in tex, he was completely in his rights and was no billed,once yu are granted a concealed permit here it is valid anywhere in tex and most other recipricle states

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by steve merriman View Post
    Hi Maybe someone can enlighten me, from what I read It seems like any town in pa can restrict a person that has a concealed licence at will, please correct me if I am wrong,I live in Texas where we do not have open carry but we do have concealed carry,the back ground check is performed by the dps in Austin,local towns have nothing to do with who can carry and who cannot, as of late very few people that have a concealed carry permit have had there permit revolked,so the people that have a concealed permit are not the people that any one has to worry about except someone who tries to rob you. You may or may not remember the fellow who shot two thieves with a shotgun that was robbing his neighbors house,many anti gun people weighed in and thought he al states should be brought up on murder charges, maybe so in liberal states,but not here in tex, he was completely in his rights and was no billed,once yu are granted a concealed permit here it is valid anywhere in tex and most other recipricle states
    try posting in the correct section....
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-open-carry-121/

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    If anyone wants to see exactly the type of attitude that has put and left us in the tyrannical mess we have now, here it is. The yin-yang tag-team of tyranny gets so much of its power from people who were swayed from voting their conscience and pushed to voting a 'lesser of two evils', where both evils happen to be two-party candidates. Then it looks to everyone else like these two parties have such a full force of power behind them when people are in fact only half-heartedly handing their votes to candidates of these parties.

If you enjoy a tyrant, or an unconstitutional incrementalist fugue, then by all means, don't vote your conscience. Don't take not only candidates but the People to task for their votes. Don't rouse their minds by supporting candidates who actually believe in liberty and forcing candidates further to the opposite to take office where we've failed...we wouldn't want anyone to fall out of complacency, helplessness, or apathy to take charge of their lives and country...

If circumstances are so dire, then maybe we should be revolving.
    Wrong. You CANNOT change human nature. That's you are attempting to do. You will fail. What you are espousing is ideological nonsense. You may get warm fuzzies by voting for a third party, but all you are doing is throwing away your vote. Don't like it? Too bad. Welcome to the real world. You cannot change human nature.

The problem, and I stated it quite clearly, is that we have a FIRST-PAST-POST system. First past post means 2 person race. END OF STORY. This is a PROVEN statistical fact. All first past post contests of any kind devolve into 2 party races.

The ONLY way to enable third party victory is to switch away from first past post. Instant runoff would be a good solution. Instant runoff works as follows:

Instead of picking one candidate, you RANK as many candidates as you want. Then everyone counts the "number ones". If no candidate has 51% of the "number one", then the candidate with the lowest number of "number ones" is discarded and votes are recounted. When looking at a ballot without a "number one" number 2 is taken instead. This process repeats until one candidate has over 51%.

Under an instant runoff voting system, if you vote for a third party candidate, you are no longer throwing your vote away because you can still vote for one of the two major parties and label it with a lower rank as well. Third party candidates no longer become spoilers for the major party closest to their views.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by steve merriman View Post
    Hi Maybe someone can enlighten me, from what I read It seems like any town in pa can restrict a person that has a concealed licence at will, please correct me if I am wrong,
    you are wrong. if you post what you have been reading that lead you to that conclusion, we can tell you exactly why it is wrong.

in the meantime, here is the state preemption clause that prohibits towns, counties, etc. in PA from making their own laws regarding guns:

§6120. Limitation on the Regulation of Firearms and Ammunition.

(a) General rule. No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammuni*tion components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this commonwealth.

(a. l) No right of action.*

(1) No political subdivision may bring or maintain an action at law or in equity against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer for damages, abate*ment, injunctive relief or any other relief or remedy resulting from or relating to either the lawful design or manufacture of firearms or ammunition or the lawful marketing or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public.

(2) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit a political subdivision from bringing or maintaining an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the political subdivision.

(b) Definitions.-As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Dealer." The term shall include any person engaged in the business of selling at whole*sale or retail a firearm or ammunition.

"Firearms." This term shall have the meaning given to it in section 5515 (relating to pro*hibiting of paramilitary training) but shall not include air rifles as that term is defined in sec*tion 6304 (relating to sale and use of air rifles).

"Political subdivision." The term shall include any home rule charter municipality, county, city, borough, incorporated town, township or school district.
    an LTCF in PA is good throughout the entire state of PA...and the same laws apply to LTCF holders throughout the entire state of PA. (same is true of reciprocal licenses/permits.)
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast