Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My gun just eats too much

I was shooting my new sig the other day and before i knew i was out of ammo.
    But i was only there for like an hour. so i had to run to the store and buy another box. my wallet just screams every time i shoot. wow all you guys that said this will be an addicting hobby sure weren't lying.

so what the real question is...
    wheres the best place to get deals on ammo? i shoot a .40. and is it worth to start reloading? i have the tools at my grandparents house so all i really need is dies and the necessary components for reloading.

(Berks County)

Default Re: My gun just eats too much

Haha. Yeah it can be quite an expensive hobby. I shoot .40 also and have been told it's not worth reloading. I think that was based on not having the equipment though. I'd be interested to see what people say here.

(Berks County)

As an alternative to lower shooting costs, you could look into a barrel conversion and fire a smaller round. As soon as I find one for the right price I'm getting one for my XD 40.

(Monroe County)

I recently considered the same question myself. I decided to focus my shooting on what I can get cheap rather then invest in reloading equipment and the time necessary to reload. I shoot .22LR, .22WMR, and 9mm for pistol (wallmart ammo). For rifle I shoot 7.62x54R and 7.62x39 (surplus ammo).

For .45, I shoot black powder pistols which is basically using the chambers of the gun as cartridges. Great bargain their. I would rather l load black powder weapons while I am shooting then sit in front of a loading machine working away like a robot. My 1847 Walker loaded with 55 grains is more powerful then .45 ACP. You do have to enjoy cleaning your guns after shooting if you want to go this way.
    Last edited by tsafa; March 15th, 2010 at 09:45 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I love my surplus Czechomatics for this reason.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ASteele42 View Post
    so what the real question is...
    wheres the best place to get deals on ammo? i shoot a .40. and is it worth to start reloading? i have the tools at my grandparents house so all i really need is dies and the necessary components for reloading.
    it really depends on how often you shoot..if you shoot 50rds/month than maybe not, but if you shoot a few hundred a month than probably...it also depends on the equipment..if it's all new equipment that is say a progressive set up than it'll be a huge up front cost, but if you go the slow route like a single-stage it won't be so bad. sometimes used equipment isn't bad either.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Clinton County)

Wink Re: My gun just eats too much

Repeat after me.
    MY Name is (insert name here). I'am addicted to shooting.

Hokkmike Guest

How about a .22 on the side? Shoot that a LOT and finish off with the .40.

My PPS has small magazines so it does stretch out the shootign experience somewhat. I can see how 17 round mags would help eat up the ammo.

I love the .40 - good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    Haha. Yeah it can be quite an expensive hobby. I shoot .40 also and have been told it's not worth reloading. I think that was based on not having the equipment though. I'd be interested to see what people say here.
    That depends. You can reload 1000 rounds of practice .40 ammo, like Ranier or Berrys for much less than $200. Using a "carry" type bullet, like XTP, Golden Sabre, will be about $230.

If you factor in the time I spend on case prep & sitting in front of the press, (I have an old Rock Chucker) maybe it's not cost effective. It'd be much easier to just go out & buy ammo, but then I wouldn't be able to shoot as much as I do. Besides, I like doing it.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Northampton County)

Recient owner of my first pistol a Ruger SR9. Looked into bulk purchases on line and found Wolf to be the cheapest but is it really worth it or go with a little more expensive parabellum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast