Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Question Philadelphia LTCF or Non-Resident FL LTCF?

Hey everyone. I'm new to the site and have found the forums to be VERY helpful. I have been considering getting my LTCF ever since the boyfriend got his a little while ago. However he lives in Cons hohocken and was able to get his in a matter of days and I live in Philadelphia and I hear it will take a much longer wait. So I was thinking of applying for a non-resident LTCF for the state of FL. I travel to and from FL often (I'm originally from there and have family there). Since I'm still new to this all, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on which I should go with or if I should really just wait it out for the PA one. I see FL has a larger reciprocity list so that would be a plus to having the FL one.

Basically for the time being I would just like to have it for when I drive to and from the range. However, once I buy a gun I feel comfortable carrying, I would like to start doing so. My other concern is, should I open-carry for a while before I conceal-carry?

Any thoughts, advice, comments, etc are appreciated!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Philadelphia LTCF or Non-Resident FL LTCF?

Go for BOTH.

BTW you don't need either while transporting to the range provided the handgun is unloaded.

PS Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by tl_3237; March 15th, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Exclamation Re: Philadelphia LTCF or Non-Resident FL LTCF?

Welcome to the forum...

I would apply for both the PA LTCF and the FL non-resident. Can't hurt !!

(Franklin County)

If you drive directly to and from the range, you are exempt from licensing (just so you know).

If I lived in Philadelphia, I would go with the FL non-resident because of the extra BS Philly imposes on applicants.

If you are considering open carry (at any point), there is some great info here that you should look over and become familiar with first (IMO).

Welcome to the forum!
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

In a city of the first class ( million + people) you are required to have a LTCF to open carry.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    If you drive directly to and from the range, you are exempt from licensing (just so you know).

If I lived in Philadelphia, I would go with the FL non-resident because of the extra BS Philly imposes on applicants.

If you are considering open carry (at any point), there is some great info here that you should look over and become familiar with first (IMO).

Welcome to the forum!
    Greg,

would a non-resident FL license allow someone to openly carry in Philadelphia if they DO NOT posses a PA LTCF?

to the OP- welcome to the forum..what a name, LOL...nice photo in your avatar, BTW...is that you?
    Last edited by andrewjs18; March 15th, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    Greg,

would a non-resident FL license allow someone to openly carry in Philadelphia that DOES NOT posses a PA LTCF?
    Any reciprocal license, and one could argue ANY license at all (just like in a vehicle) would allow someone to CC or OC in Philadelphia.
    §6108. Carrying Firearms on Public Streets or Public Property in Philadelphia.

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:

(1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or

(2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license)
    (1) says nothing about reciprocity being required, but I am NOT an attorney.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Delaware County)

good info...I was j/w, but it's not a concern to me as I have a PA LTCF.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Any reciprocal license, and one could argue ANY license at all (just like in a vehicle) would allow someone to CC or OC in Philadelphia.

(1) says nothing about reciprocity being required, but I am NOT an attorney.
    "(1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm;..."

I guess if the other state issues a "permit"...that is no good then...it must be a license

(Erie County)

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you've got good advice from the above posters, but one more thing...

Quote Originally Posted by BangBangPewPew View Post
    ...Since I'm still new to this all, ...

...However, once I buy a gun I feel comfortable carrying, I would like to start doing so. My other concern is, should I open-carry for a while before I conceal-carry?

Any thoughts, advice, comments, etc are appreciated!
    If you are new to handguns, whether you plan to CC or OC, please get some professional training. If you plan on OCing get HG retention training. It's the best thing you can do...it'll shorten the learning curve and it'll give you more confidence when you begin carrying and it'll help prevent bad habits from forming.

If you think you need to OC to "work-up to" CCing then I'd say your not ready for either. But I like the way you think. Carrying a HG is serious business and I'd encourage you to read, learn, and train specifically toward the ability to defend yourself. There is a lot of good info on this site. Welcome.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast