Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Philadelphia LTCF or Non-Resident FL LTCF?

It'll take less time, on up to the same amount of time, to get the Philly issued LTCF as it would a FL CWP. I'd file for the LTCF ASAP, then send for the FL CWP as soon as you get the application packet. Having both wont hurt(except your wallet). The FL permit will cover you in Delaware, where the PA license wont.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BangBangPewPew View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm new to the site and have found the forums to be VERY helpful. I have been considering getting my LTCF ever since the boyfriend got his a little while ago. However he lives in Cons hohocken and was able to get his in a matter of days and I live in Philadelphia and I hear it will take a much longer wait. So I was thinking of applying for a non-resident LTCF for the state of FL. I travel to and from FL often (I'm originally from there and have family there). Since I'm still new to this all, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on which I should go with or if I should really just wait it out for the PA one. I see FL has a larger reciprocity list so that would be a plus to having the FL one.

Basically for the time being I would just like to have it for when I drive to and from the range. However, once I buy a gun I feel comfortable carrying, I would like to start doing so. My other concern is, should I open-carry for a while before I conceal-carry?

Any thoughts, advice, comments, etc are appreciated!

I didn't see anybody else mention it...but for FL you do need to have training:

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

I would apply for both.
    Apply in Philly first then go for FL
    Fl can take 90 days. Even Philly can beat that.

You don't need Fl, its a bit costly, plus training requirements, and fingerprinting. However at this point with Philly acting like ass holes toward non res FL permits I would carry on the that permit just to stick it in their eye.....but that's just me.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I would apply for both.
    Apply in Philly first then go for FL
    Fl can take 90 days. Even Philly can beat that.

You don't need Fl, its a bit costly, plus training requirements, and fingerprinting. However at this point with Philly acting like ass holes toward non res FL permits I would carry on the that permit just to stick it in their eye.....but that's just me.
    that's if Philly would even issue her a LTCF..we all know how ridiculous their process is and how often they deny people.
    Last edited by andrewjs18; March 15th, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the link!

(Philadelphia County)

andrewjs18 - Yep, that's me in the avatar. And that info is very helpful gnbrontz! Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the forum. I'd go for Pa. as already stated and then get a Utah non-resident.
    NRA Life Member-NRA Range Safety Officer

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
    If you are new to handguns, whether you plan to CC or OC, please get some professional training. If you plan on OCing get HG retention training. It's the best thing you can do...it'll shorten the learning curve and it'll give you more confidence when you begin carrying and it'll help prevent bad habits from forming.

If you think you need to OC to "work-up to" CCing then I'd say your not ready for either. But I like the way you think. Carrying a HG is serious business and I'd encourage you to read, learn, and train specifically toward the ability to defend yourself. There is a lot of good info on this site. Welcome.
    I definitely want to get training before I carry (open or closed). I would never carry unless I felt fully comfortable and confident in my ability to use the HG and proper defensive tactics. Can you tell me where I can find more information on Retention Training?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by inspector710 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I'd go for Pa. as already stated and then get a Utah non-resident.
    Why Utah? Do they have better reciprocity?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BangBangPewPew View Post
    Why Utah? Do they have better reciprocity?
    I believe it's cheaper to renew..

found this on another site-
    The total cost of obtaining a Utah CCW Permit is between $179.00 and $359.00 for the initial five-year permit. Thereafter, renewal is only $10.00 every five-years. The cost of obtaining a "Multi-State" CCW Permit is not out of reach for the common citizen. When compared to almost any other State it is understandable why so many people are interested in obtaining the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit. The average processing time for Utah CCW applications is approximately 2 to 4 weeks, although Statute does allow up to 60 days, either issuing you a permit, or denying your application for cause.

The main differences with Florida's application process are that your fingerprints must be taken by a Law Enforcement Agency, and the cost of the permit is $117.00 for five years. Florida renewals are $107.00 every five-years. Although this is almost twice the cost of a Utah CCW Permit, how can you put a price on something that could one day save your life? Florida CCW Permits are also public record.

there's more information here:
    http://www.gunshopfinder.com/articles/ccwpermits.html

reciprocity map..
    http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

PA Resident + Utah non-resident covers:
    Permit Honored:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

PA resident + FL non-resident covers:
    Permit Honored:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming
    Last edited by andrewjs18; March 15th, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast