Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Winchester 5.56 Military Crimp?

I am sorry if this was already posted but I didn't have anything turn up in search and I wanted to make sure I didn't break off the primer remover in my die.
    Does the Winchester 5.56 "white box" ammo have a military crimp?
    Thanks, in advance.
    Dan

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Winchester 5.56 Military Crimp?

I don't think so.
    Anyways, if there was a military crimp it wouldn't interfere with the decrimping process. It only comes into play when you need to re-prime, you need to remove the crimp or the primers won't fit.
    Toujours pręt

(Montgomery County)

Thank you for the info. Read elsewhere about de-priming not being a problem but wanted some more input.

(Armstrong County)

Most crimped primers are not a problem when de-priming. Some do have a sealant that has pushed my Lee de-capping pin into the die (by design so it does not break)
    I got a handfull of them in a bulk order of once fired brass. I just throw them away now to avoid the problem. They had a red "paint" around the primer. Not a translucent sealer like i have seen before, but a solid red paint of some type.

But normal run of "run of the mill" mil-crimped brass should be fine.
    Just mage sure you swage or cut the primer pocker before reloading.

(Lebanon County)

I don't know what ammo it was that I popped a primer or two out of (stuff at the range that I found), but it has a red sealant around the primer and a FULL crimp, not a little three tang crimp.
    The only thing I noticed when I ran them through the sizer die was a little more difficulty in pushing the ram up though, but nothing that was any issue. It still popped straight out and then I ran my little crimp remover around the pocket!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Plain Ole Dan View Post
    I am sorry if this was already posted but I didn't have anything turn up in search and I wanted to make sure I didn't break off the primer remover in my die.
    Does the Winchester 5.56 "white box" ammo have a military crimp?
    Thanks, in advance.
    Dan
    I've broken a few decap pins on military crimp. I asked around the gun shop and was told on 223 to shorten the pin about 1/8 inch.So to the grind wheel I went havent broken another pin.Hope this helped!

(Columbia County)

You can tell just by looking whether a piece of brass has a military crimp or not. Here's a picture of a crimped and uncrimped piece of brass for comparison. The top one is crimped. The crimp ring is clearly visible.

They're not always as easy to spot as this one, but this'll give you a good idea what to look for.

(Blair County)

I have sized (and in doing so deprimed) thousands of us 30-06 and 5.56 using RCBS equipment and have never had a failure. I agree that a shorter decapping pin will be stiffer. I have also never had a problem with “sealed” primers, they feel just the same. But my reason for replying is that I have about 100,000 LC 5.56 that appear crimped, but don’t feel crimped and can be primed without removing a crimp. The guy I got them from told me that they were long range loadings, but the head stamp is just LC 07. Does anyone know if 5.56 long range is crimp-free? I know 7.62 is not crimped, but it has a distinctive head stamp.
    Thanks
    Steve

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    I have sized (and in doing so deprimed) thousands of us 30-06 and 5.56 using RCBS equipment and have never had a failure. I agree that a shorter decapping pin will be stiffer. I have also never had a problem with “sealed” primers, they feel just the same. But my reason for replying is that I have about 100,000 LC 5.56 that appear crimped, but don’t feel crimped and can be primed without removing a crimp. The guy I got them from told me that they were long range loadings, but the head stamp is just LC 07. Does anyone know if 5.56 long range is crimp-free? I know 7.62 is not crimped, but it has a distinctive head stamp.
    Thanks
    Steve
    Holy crap! 100,000 all the same headstamp! Impressive. Need a hand getting rid of any?

Decap a few and see if they're crimped or not. If you compare a primer pocket of one that is crimped compared with uncrimped, the difference is noticeable.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    Thanks
    Steve
    Is it possible that these LC cases were previously "processed" for resale?
    I've bought a few thousand "processed" LC cases online that don't require removing a crimp.
    Toujours pręt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast