Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Thumbs down AMMO comparision

Can anybody provide a reason why Winchester White Box is $4 more (per 50) than Federal in 9mm 115gr? This is based on Walmart pricing $13.47 versus $9.47. I have shot both and consider them fairly equal in performance, but just don't get the cost difference.

Default Re: AMMO comparision

Quote Originally Posted by rpmking View Post
    Can anybody provide a reason why Winchester White Box is $4 more (per 50) than Federal in 9mm 115gr? This is based on Walmart pricing $13.47 versus $9.47. I have shot both and consider them fairly equal in performance, but just don't get the cost difference.
    Umm, Federal primers tend to be soft. That's about all I know.

For my GP-100, when buying either .357 or .38 special I prefer Federal over all other brands because I can be 100% sure every single round will go bang when I pull the trigger. Brands with harder primers, I'm not completely sure because it's been tuned for competition (lighter trigger and bobbed hammer).

Honestly, in most situations, I'm willing to pay a little EXTRA for Federal. Paying less would be gravy.

The Federals look a lot like Blazer Brass, maybe it's just a rebranding?

Also, looks like the Federals have plated bullets, where the WWB's have FMJ's. Not entirely sure on that one.

Because Winchester wants to charge more. We have a free market and that's what happens. People get to pay for what they want. I don't like Federal ammo and will not buy it. It's not bad ammo and may shoot great, but I don't like it.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    Umm, Federal primers tend to be soft. That's about all I know.

For my GP-100, when buying either .357 or .38 special I prefer Federal over all other brands because I can be 100% sure every single round will go bang when I pull the trigger. Brands with harder primers, I'm not completely sure because it's been tuned for competition (lighter trigger and bobbed hammer).

Honestly, in most situations, I'm willing to pay a little EXTRA for Federal. Paying less would be gravy.
    ^^^This^^^^

I've always liked federal ammunition and would pay a bit more to get it. I only reload now, but federal primers are always my first choice. Get the federal if you can do so more cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    ^^^This^^^^

I've always liked federal ammunition and would pay a bit more to get it. I only reload now, but federal primers are always my first choice. Get the federal if you can do so more cheaply.
    Yeah Federal primers are pretty much the only primers used in ICORE guns. I used to have a really light hammer spring in my GP-100; made the trigger pull less than 2 pounds. Even with such a light hammer strike, Federals went bang every single time.

With primers tough to find, I can't be so picky about what primers I buy so I put in a heavier spring more recently so that it'll set off CCI primers too.

But yeah, I love Federal.

(Berks County)

One of the reasons may be cheaper brass. Federal brass is usually a crap shoot with reloading, it doesn't last near as long as most others for multiple reloadings.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    One of the reasons may be cheaper brass. Federal brass is usually a crap shoot with reloading, it doesn't last near as long as most others for multiple reloadings.
    Good point. Winchester on the other hand has pretty good brass. The only thing is though, if you're reloading why would you buy ammunition in the first place?

I've shot and reloaded a couple thousand of each kind in 9mm and honestly can't tell the difference. I don't think I had a single misfire using either type of ammo and both reload just fine. I never had an issue with Blaser brass either, reloaded a couple thousand no issues, some at least twice.

Primers Federal are the best. I've also had good luck with Winchester and CCI. Remington are complete shit, I will never buy them again.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I've shot and reloaded a couple thousand of each kind in 9mm and honestly can't tell the difference. I don't think I had a single misfire using either type of ammo and both reload just fine. I never had an issue with Blaser brass either, reloaded a couple thousand no issues, some at least twice.

Primers Federal are the best. I've also had good luck with Winchester and CCI. Remington are complete shit, I will never buy them again.
    I thought Blazer "brass" was aluminum and berdan primed with a big "NR" stamp which stands for "Non-reloadable".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast