Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: eotech vs c more??

The C-more may be a well made RDS, but its not going to handle being banged around like an EOTech or Aimpoint will.

The micro-Aimpoints or EOTechs are really the best available options, right now.

I've shot red dots out to 300m...there's nothing wrong with them at distance.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I really like the look of the eotech, but my gunsmith recomended the c more, thats what led me to ask the question in the first place. Never really considered an aimpoint but they look good too. Its too bad I can't actually see them in action instead of just reading the reviews on the internet. Is it possible to have a red dot and a scope? Sorry if that sounds ridiculous, I'm new to rifles and want max performance out of my Smith and Wesson M&P 15. My vision kind of sucks and wasn't happy with my shooting with just the regular sights at 100yds. I'm talking like 12" groupings...

Is there one of these three that would be the best bet for all around??
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Lawrence County)

You're a USPSA shooter so if you want fastest, I'd recommend the C more with the Aimpoint finishing 3rd for me behind the Eotech...YMMV.

For the red dot/scope question you have three options......use a red dot with a magnifier or use a scope with a lit retical and use the Bindon Aiming Concept....or shoot occluded....or use a scope with a red dot mounted on top or to the side on a rail. Check out some Open Division 3 gun setups and you'll see that a lot.

BAC can be used with any lit retical....not just an ACOG:

http://www.trijicon.com/aiming.html

I've done really well with a 4x16 variable with lit retical in 3 gun shoots....from 5 yards to 300. I usually finish in the top 5 at 5-10 yards and own the longer stages beyond 100 (by a pretty healthy margin)....but I cut my teeth on scopes and my index and stock fitting is good.

It depends on your shooting style, demands and experience. Under 50 yards it's pretty much red dot for everyone. At 100 yards the tables start to turn. A good deer hunter with experience with scopes will shoot better than with a red dot. A lot of people are not used to jump shooting deer on the run will stick with a red dot because they feel comfortable with that, but good scope education will usually result in markedly better hits beyond 100 yards when you use magnification the right way.

Lycanit'snotonesizefitsallthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

good point on the c-more being used a lot on pistols. i was limiting my thinking to ARs. but, yeah, if they can build a sight that holds up to pistol shooting (which they obviously do), it would certainly seem to make sense their sights would hold up on ARs.
    F*S=k

(York County)

Edit: just reread Lycans post, disreguard my ramblings

To the OP, if you want a red dot for CQB stuff and also want some magnification for longer range, you could go with the 3x magnifier that Aimpoint and Eotech make respectivly. A flip to side mount would mean that you wouldnt have to dissasemble things when changing up your range. That is the direction I am looking to go.

Its going to run you the same as what your rifle cost though, ask me how I know
    Last edited by YBNORMAL; March 17th, 2010 at 01:36 AM.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Centre County)

Looks like nice set up tho...
    I think Tod Jerret uses exact set up on his AR, and if its good enough for him, its good enough for me tho..

Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    You're a USPSA shooter so if you want fastest, I'd recommend the C more with the Aimpoint finishing 3rd for me behind the Eotech...YMMV.

For the red dot/scope question you have three options......use a red dot with a magnifier or use a scope with a lit retical and use the Bindon Aiming Concept....or shoot occluded....or use a scope with a red dot mounted on top or to the side on a rail. Check out some Open Division 3 gun setups and you'll see that a lot.

BAC can be used with any lit retical....not just an ACOG:

http://www.trijicon.com/aiming.html

I've done really well with a 4x16 variable with lit retical in 3 gun shoots....from 5 yards to 300. I usually finish in the top 5 at 5-10 yards and own the longer stages beyond 100 (by a pretty healthy margin)....but I cut my teeth on scopes and my index and stock fitting is good.

It depends on your shooting style, demands and experience. Under 50 yards it's pretty much red dot for everyone. At 100 yards the tables start to turn. A good deer hunter with experience with scopes will shoot better than with a red dot. A lot of people are not used to jump shooting deer on the run will stick with a red dot because they feel comfortable with that, but good scope education will usually result in markedly better hits beyond 100 yards when you use magnification the right way.

Lycanit'snotonesizefitsallthrope
    Lycan,

Thank you very much for the info and the trijicon link. My problem is that I have a visual condition called an alternating esotropia. Unfortunately, I've dealt with this my whole life and it prevents me from seeing the effects of 3D movies and a problem with my depth perception. So now that I am really into shooting, this is causing me problems as you can imagine. This bascially means that my vision is not binocular like most peoples. In fact, when i am looking at something my brain only receives the signal from whatever eye I am using while the other turns inward slightly. I think i would be fine with a red dot up close, but any distance i guess i would benefit from a scope or something do you agree? A combo of both dot and scope I'm thinkin' would be the way to go. What do you think? I really didn't want to break the bank on this though...
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Looks like nice set up tho...
    I think Tod Jerret uses exact set up on his AR, and if its good enough for him, its good enough for me tho..

The wide FOV outside of the sight on the C-more is definitely a selling point for me. It's really a minimal "pane" sight and I think that's what is great about it. It gets everything out of your way for good peripheral vision and true both eyes open shooting where you can actually see throughout your range of vision with both eyes. This is why I had been considering one as well. Plus they are not $500. And still made by a reputable company with a useful level of quality and durability.

For those who are looking though you also need to realize that not every C-more is created equally either. Some are aluminum and some are polymer. (AKA PLASTIC) I wonder if some of the durability concerns don't stem from the polymer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    The wide FOV outside of the sight on the C-more is definitely a selling point for me. It's really a minimal "pane" sight and I think that's what is great about it. It gets everything out of your way for good peripheral vision and true both eyes open shooting where you can actually see throughout your range of vision with both eyes. This is why I had been considering one as well. Plus they are not $500. And still made by a reputable company with a useful level of quality and durability.

For those who are looking though you also need to realize that not every C-more is created equally either. Some are aluminum and some are polymer. (AKA PLASTIC) I wonder if some of the durability concerns don't stem from the polymer ones.
    Keep in mind that magpul magazines are polymer and have a moving part on top of them, and are better than aluminum USGi magazines.

polymer can be better. :P

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    The wide FOV outside of the sight on the C-more is definitely a selling point for me.
    yeah, that would definitely be an advantage. though i don't really notice my eotech getting in the way of being able to see things.

I wonder if some of the durability concerns don't stem from the polymer ones.
    that could be. they also just *look* like they would not hold up to being banged around. i fully admit that it could well be a completely unwarranted concern...and, at most, simply calls for researching how they actually do hold up to being banged around. but, compared to an eotech (with their protective metal shroud), c-mores *appear* like a ferrari next to a tank. the c-mores are just very thin and the glass seems quite exposed.

i have banged my eotech into rocks, walls, shooting benches, the ground, etc. with no ill-effects whatsoever. for a home defense gun, i want that.

but, perhaps the c-more stands up to that kind of abuse as well. does anyone have any experience with banging them into stuff? do they hold up?
    F*S=k

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast