Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Concealed Carry question

    what type of charges/time would I face if I got caught with a gun in philadelphia without a carry with permit? I know quite a few people here in philly who carry concealed guns in public and when i ask them if they have a ccw permit some didnt even know they existed....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,946
    Rep Power
    453011

    Default Re: Concealed Carry question

    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...18/00.061..HTM

    6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who
    carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a
    firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place
    of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and
    lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony
    of the third degree.

    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a
    valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any
    vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or
    about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place
    of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and
    has not committed any other criminal violation commits a
    misdemeanor of the first degree.

    6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property
    in Philadelphia.
    No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time
    upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of
    the first class unless:
    (1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
    (2) such person is exempt from licensing under section
    6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried
    without a license).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Concealed Carry question

    Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...18/00.061..HTM

    6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who
    carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a
    firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place
    of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and
    lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony
    of the third degree.

    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a
    valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any
    vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or
    about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place
    of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and
    has not committed any other criminal violation commits a
    misdemeanor of the first degree.

    6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property
    in Philadelphia.
    No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time
    upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of
    the first class unless:
    (1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
    (2) such person is exempt from licensing under section
    6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried
    without a license).
    So what exacly does that mean? theres 2 descriptions there, also would I have to do any time if I got caught without a carry with permit or go to court? Thx

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gone from here
    Posts
    1,429
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Concealed Carry question

    I don't know why you would not just go and get your LTCF, then this would all be a non-issue.

    As for your question above, it looks to me to be a first degree misdemeanor, only if you have had no other criminal violations. Again, this is how it reads to me, so I would confirm this elsewhere.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Luzerne County, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Posts
    3,436
    Rep Power
    7613369

    Default Re: Concealed Carry question

    For an M2 you can be sentenced up to two years in jail and a $2,500.00 fine.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Concealed Carry question

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    For an M2 you can be sentenced up to two years in jail and a $2,500.00 fine.
    whats an M2?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oil City, Pennsylvania
    (Venango County)
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,770
    Rep Power
    418434

    Default Re: Concealed Carry question

    Misdemeanor of the 2nd degree


    Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Drexel Hill / Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    760
    Rep Power
    9710

    Default Re: Concealed Carry question

    I am sure that Steve's and the other responses are 100% accurate but I would like to 3 additional points for you to consider:

    1) If the person is a convicted felon and thus can not get a carry license / permit then I believe that there would be additional charges if they were caught with a concealed handgun. These charges might even be Federal charges with manditory minimum sentences that would be served in a Federal prison somewhere (read maybe far, far away) in the U.S.

    2) If the person is not (yet) a convicted felon then they get caught with a concealed handgun they soon will be a convicted felon. As such they will then NEVER be able to get a carry license, hunt, target shoot or own firearms for the rest of their lives.

    3) We are fortunate that as citizens of PA we live in a shall issue state meaning that all citizens of the commonwealth who properly apply for a carry license shall / will / must be issued a license if they meet all of the simple requirements. It is not perfect for sure but we can all get a license if we qualify. It is simply too easy not to apply and receive a permit and then carry legally anywhere in PA and many other states.

    I don't mean to preach but your question is worrisome and I fear that the mere fact that you are asking might infer that you are considering the illegal course of action. Please don't do so and also be real careful around all of these people that you know who are carring illegally in Philadelphia. Association may not mean guilt but it will eventually get you in trouble.

    Good luck and Be Safe.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Concealed Carry question

    Quote Originally Posted by shermdo View Post
    I am sure that Steve's and the other responses are 100% accurate but I would like to 3 additional points for you to consider:

    1) If the person is a convicted felon and thus can not get a carry license / permit then I believe that there would be additional charges if they were caught with a concealed handgun. These charges might even be Federal charges with manditory minimum sentences that would be served in a Federal prison somewhere (read maybe far, far away) in the U.S.

    2) If the person is not (yet) a convicted felon then they get caught with a concealed handgun they soon will be a convicted felon. As such they will then NEVER be able to get a carry license, hunt, target shoot or own firearms for the rest of their lives.

    3) We are fortunate that as citizens of PA we live in a shall issue state meaning that all citizens of the commonwealth who properly apply for a carry license shall / will / must be issued a license if they meet all of the simple requirements. It is not perfect for sure but we can all get a license if we qualify. It is simply too easy not to apply and receive a permit and then carry legally anywhere in PA and many other states.

    I don't mean to preach but your question is worrisome and I fear that the mere fact that you are asking might infer that you are considering the illegal course of action. Please don't do so and also be real careful around all of these people that you know who are carring illegally in Philadelphia. Association may not mean guilt but it will eventually get you in trouble.

    Good luck and Be Safe.

    I completely agree with you, since I lived in NY I had been carrying my gun without a permit but I really am considering getting one. the only reason I hadnt got one yet is because im not looking to get interrogated for a permit and I dont know what they are gonna start asking me...is there by any chance a way to apply for this permit online? also does this permit cover me for all my handguns? also will they ask me about my guns or where I got em? Thx

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Drexel Hill / Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    760
    Rep Power
    9710

    Default Re: Concealed Carry question

    The carry license has no connection to your handguns. Your PA carry license is for any handgun or handgun(s). Disclosure of what firearms you might own is NOT in any way part of the application or process. Unfortunately you do live in Philadelphia so they will be a pain in the backside from what I have read but when all is said and done they do have to issue you a license if you do not have a crimnal record, etc.

    We would be happy to answer any specific questions that you might have.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MY FIRST DAY OF CONCEALED CARRY
    By GRIZZLYBEAR in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 26th, 2012, 08:52 PM
  2. Concealed carry question
    By MOUNTAINORACLE in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: August 8th, 2007, 02:06 AM
  3. Concealed Carry vs Open Carry Card
    By Mtbkski in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 7th, 2007, 11:38 AM
  4. Concealed Carry???
    By RiflesRock in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 17th, 2007, 04:23 PM
  5. Concealed carry vs. Open carry
    By jackbauer in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 10th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops